Would it be smart to re-sign Pacioretty then trade him??

Metallica

Theres been some reports that Bergevin is talking to Pacioretty's agent about a extension. So I been thinking maybe that's a smart move. Lock him up then you can trade him and get more for him then as a soon to be UFA. Whats everyone's take on this?

Just highly doubt will agree to extend him in 2019 then trade him in 2018.

I think his value is fine and should get a good return if traded in next few weeks.

But, if he agreed to extension at a nice rate, after poor season may get a bit of discount on a 6 year deal.

BUT, Habs need to use a good winger to trade for and bolster centre or L-defense, so if not 67 then 27 or 11 must go. 

6 minutes ago, DON said:

Just highly doubt will agree to extend him in 2019 then trade him in 2018.

I think his value is fine and should get a good return if traded in next few weeks.

But, if he agreed to extension at a nice rate, after poor season may get a bit of discount on a 6 year deal.

BUT, Habs need to use a good winger to trade for and bolster centre or L-defense, so if not 67 then 27 or 11 must go. 

I think the hard part is getting that #1ld, and that's what i would try and get in return in a Pacioretty trade,  I think that's a must for this team. 

Theres center 's to be had come July 1st . So if we can get a #1LD and lets say a young center for Pacioretty i would do the trade.

18 minutes ago, Metallica said:

I think the hard part is getting that #1ld, and that's what i would try and get in return in a Pacioretty trade,  I think that's a must for this team. 

Theres center 's to be had come July 1st . So if we can get a #1LD and lets say a young center for Pacioretty i would do the trade.

Maybe a RFA centre is available, centre pool will be overpaid for Bozak-Stastny and couple others.

Maybe best to aim lower and shoot for a young blue chip centre in trade (as teams wont part with their #1 centre). A LH d-man maybe can be found as free agent, not sure who all is available?

So there goes the argument that I was assuming Pacioretty would resign with us and that the fact that he probably wouldn’t, should be one of the main reasons we consider trading him. 

I don’t know how it works with no trade clauses but if I’m Pacioretty and signing an extension with the Habs rather than testing out free agency in a year, I’m adding a pretty heft no trade clause to my contract. 

1 hour ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Bobby Ryan, Corey Perry, Ryan Kesler, Milan Lucic, Max Pacioretty.

One of these is not like the others.

What's kind of interesting here is that Pacioretty can't be extended until July 1st.  If the talks are indeed for sign-and-trade purposes, does that preclude them from moving him at the draft or during the FA interview window?  Or do they have to work in a conditional element to the trade (ie, a 2019 pick)?  You can have a handshake agreement before the beginning of July but does a hypothetical acquiring team want more of an assurance than just an under-the-table agreement?

• dlbalr changed the title to Would it be smart to re-sign Pacioretty then trade him??
20 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

What's kind of interesting here is that Pacioretty can't be extended until July 1st.  If the talks are indeed for sign-and-trade purposes, does that preclude them from moving him at the draft or during the FA interview window?  Or do they have to work in a conditional element to the trade (ie, a 2019 pick)?  You can have a handshake agreement before the beginning of July but does a hypothetical acquiring team want more of an assurance than just an under-the-table agreement?

Which ever way you look at it, its going to be interesting. You got a lot of big names that would become UFA's next year, not just Pacioretty,  which should make for a interesting draft.

I don’t see Bergevin extending him at all prior to the season but if he does extend him, I’m also not convinced it would be for the sake of trading him.

One of those situations where only time will tell. 

1 hour ago, DON said:

One of these is not like the others.

You mean which one hasn’t been to a cup final???

38 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I don’t see Bergevin extending him at all prior to the season but if he does extend him, I’m also not convinced it would be for the sake of trading him.

One of those situations where only time will tell. 

Yeah, people love the sign and trade idea but it's rarely executed.

56 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

You mean which one hasn’t been to a cup final???

Only you...only you would see that.

As pessimistic and gloomy as you are, this has got to be your favourite character.Image result for eeyore

:D

• Upvote 2

I think he gets the Subban treatment... signed and then traded right before NMC kicks in. Might be best way to "max" return as well ;)

I think it will look more like the Drouin situation, where the team very interested isn't willing to give up the big package for him unless he signs long term. We would agree to let them talk, if they come to an agreement, then we sign him to the contract with the terms they agreed to and make the deal.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Link67 said:

I think it will look more like the Drouin situation, where the team very interested isn't willing to give up the big package for him unless he signs long term. We would agree to let them talk, if they come to an agreement, then we sign him to the contract with the terms they agreed to and make the deal.

I guess the Subban treatment is for Norris winning Dmen under MB, sry my bad :(