2018 NHL Offseason Thread

Trizzak

The playoffs have ended, the Stanley Cup has been awarded, and the Draft and Free Agency are weeks away.

Capfriendly has provided a handy chart for key dates this summer:

• dlbalr pinned this topic
3 hours ago, Dalhabs said:

Finally 2017-18 is in the books and preparing for 18-19 is starting.

cant get any worse right? ?

You are right. Even if the team remains terrible, Carey Price won't be, and that will make us at least tolerably competitive.

Barring a Tavares signing or other really big moves, I have little optimism for an organization led by our worst GM since Houle - but it definitely feels nice to start turning the page on a season in which I found myself not just frustrated but increasingly apathetic and indifferent to the Habs. As a lifelong fan, I'm used to the suffering, but apathy about the team is a strange and unwelcone sensation I'd prefer not to repeat. Give me some sort of resson to watch and to care FFS.

37 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Is there a graph for how many teams that finished last that use analytics?

The graph is self explanatory.  It is the average winning percentages for the teams that identify as "believers" or "all in" on analytics and the average winning percentages for those that don't.  With a plus/minus 5% variable for randomness.

Seems pretty convincing that the teams who have adopted a healthy use of an analytics department are outperforming those that do not.  The differences in average winning percentage are striking.

Teams that are unwilling to use analytics are putting themselves at a disadvantage, and its showing up in the results. 

34 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Is there a graph for how many teams that finished last that use analytics?

Hey hey hey, don't go poking holes in the theory.

Am sure Vegas and Caps were predicted to be in the finals in Sept.

There is no holes to poke.... the average of teams using analytics is significantly higher than those that don't. 

You can keep denying the facts all you want... but that doesn't change those facts. 

Those who ignore analytics are purposefully choosing to live in the past and will become dinosaurs in the sporting world. 

NHL.com 2018-19 Rankings for Defensmen

1. Victor Hedman, TBL

2. P.K. Subban, NSH

3. Dustin Byfuglien, WPG

4. Brent Burns, SJS

5. Erik Karlsson, OTT*

6. Drew Doughty, LAK*

7. John Carlson, WSH (UFA)

8. Seth Jones, CBJ

9. John Klingberg, DAL

10. Shayne Gostisbehere, PHI

11. Roman Josi, NSH

12. Dougie Hamilton, CGY (INJ.)

13. Torey Krug, BOS

14. Tyson Barrie, COL

15. Kris Letang, PIT

16. Alex Pietrangelo, STL

17. Keith Yandle, FLA

18. Ryan Ellis, NSH*

19. Shea Weber, MTL (INJ.)

20. Zach Werenski, CBJ**

Not using analytics is like not having a video coach. Why would you willingly choose to not have an extra tool in your toolbox? You don't have to listen to everything it says. Sometimes stats are incomplete and come to incomplete conclusions. But to willingly ignore it or not develop it is just bad management. I want every possible opportunity to have an advantage on my opponent. 

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

"Someone created an alternate account to defend Ottawa’s honor at all costs. And they sure as hell seem to know what they are talking about – you may or may not agree with his opinions, but the statements of fact all check out – from MacArthur’s insured contract to Belleville organizational structure and so on. Whoever it is, you have to admire the consistency and dedication."

It's the Sens' version of DON :lol:

(Just jokin' DON, I kid because I love)

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Sens version of Bryan Collangelo. Wouldn't be surprised if we find out it's Peter Dorion.

Let's aim higher... it's Melnyk.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Let's aim higher... it's Melnyk.

I actually think it would be sort of cool to have a person in management engaging with fans (and their griping) via social media. Too often teams operate like some sort of national security agency, and the Habs have a history, going way back before MB, of being particularly imperious in their remoteness. It's a 'connectivity' era, why not make the direct connection, provided it doesn't eat up too much time from more important things?

But the idea of creating a secret account and using it to attack fan criticisms and defend the organization's various moves seems a lot more pathetic than that. "Ooooo, so and so said I made a wrong move, did he? Well I'll show him! I'll pretend to be another fan and shoot him down! Ooooo, I hate dat wabbit!"

On 6/14/2018 at 11:24 AM, Habopotamus said:

Sorry to drop that on your convesation 

That's a great name. So is PK's. I'm still mad. Ya don't sell your soul. 

On 6/14/2018 at 5:01 PM, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I actually think it would be sort of cool to have a person in management engaging with fans (and their griping) via social media. Too often teams operate like some sort of national security agency, and the Habs have a history, going way back before MB, of being particularly imperious in their remoteness. It's a 'connectivity' era, why not make the direct connection, provided it doesn't eat up too much time from more important things?

But the idea of creating a secret account and using it to attack fan criticisms and defend the organization's various moves seems a lot more pathetic than that. "Ooooo, so and so said I made a wrong move, did he? Well I'll show him! I'll pretend to be another fan and shoot him down! Ooooo, I hate dat wabbit!"

Ha! The CBC has killed me off as a commenter about 6 times now including the rejection of such names as Watt Dwyneaut.. and Noah Diaz.. (No ideas) ... I had to get a VPN and reinvent myself.. I would use offensive terms like... "natural".. and other ideologically repugnant terminology.  ....  

On 6/9/2018 at 5:06 PM, Trizzak said:

Shocked we haven't seen a single buyout yet. I wonder if GMs are waiting til the salary cap for next season is announced? Or maybe even checking if the price for dumping the contract on another team is cheap enough?

2 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Shocked we haven't seen a single buyout yet. I wonder if GMs are waiting til the salary cap for next season is announced? Or maybe even checking if the price for dumping the contract on another team is cheap enough?

There isn't a lot of incentive to do it at this point.  Why not wait a few days and see if there's a trade with retention available that is preferable to the buyout?  Usually, there are only one or two early ones and then a bunch right at the deadline.

• dlbalr unpinned this topic