2018 NHL Offseason Thread

Trizzak

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

There isn't a lot of incentive to do it at this point.  Why not wait a few days and see if there's a trade with retention available that is preferable to the buyout?  Usually, there are only one or two early ones and then a bunch right at the deadline.

That's what I mean though... usually there are one or two done early, almost like an apology to the fans for having that player on the team.

I expected Lehtera to get that treatment.

36 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

I expected Lehtera to get that treatment.

I don't think he'll get bought out, to be honest.  Philly has a fair bit of cap room this summer - they'll be better off just eating the contract now than adding to the cap for 2019-20 when they have extensions for Simmonds, Provorov, and Konecny to deal with.  Moulson seemed like an early candidate as well but it came out the other day that Buffalo is likely to not bother buying him out either.

5 minutes ago, Chris said:

Statsny and Bozak 

Stastny stays with the jets. He better not go anywhere close to Bozak but this is exactly what i am afraid he is going to do. Over pay for Bozak.

29 minutes ago, Metallica said:

Here's a question.... If Tavares resigns with NYI, what's plan B? Who in this years crop of UFA's would fit well with the habs if Tavares is off the board?

Plan B should be to tear the team down and start winning again in 2-3 years with some top-end prospects.

I might even argue that should be Plan A.

7 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Plan B should be to tear the team down and start winning again in 2-3 years with some top-end prospects.

I might even argue that should be Plan A.

The problem I have with that plan is that there is no reason that this should have been an option in the first place. 

15 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

The problem I have with that plan is that there is no reason that this should have been an option in the first place. 

5 years ago no but the window is gone. We don't need over paid players on this team. We need a   Rebuild next year will be a good draft class. 

4 minutes ago, Chris said:

Bozak is a better center than anything the habs currently have. 

i'm not really a Bozak fan, but he is an NHL center, something the habs have 1 of

If they get him at a good price maybe. But no long term big money contract. If that's what he wants walk away fast.

8 minutes ago, Chris said:

Maybe Poehling will earn a spot, 

Not happening, he already stated he is returning to NCAA and likely is best place for him to play anyways. The extra year in weight room wont hurt him. 

So after the whole 'will Washington extend him or not' situation, it turns out Barry Trotz got a two-year extension for winning the Cup at $1.8 million per season.  Rather than take that, he opted to resign.  I can't see the Islanders breaking the bank for him (knowing they will have to pay big to keep Tavares) so I wonder what his plan is here. 

Simon Despres is looking to play again in North America, is willing to play in the AHL, and happens to be from Laval.  Guess where this is going...  http://www.lapresse.ca/sports/hockey/201806/18/01-5186176-simon-despres-veut-une-chance.php

3 hours ago, dlbalr said:

So after the whole 'will Washington extend him or not' situation, it turns out Barry Trotz got a two-year extension for winning the Cup at $1.8 million per season.  Rather than take that, he opted to resign.  I can't see the Islanders breaking the bank for him (knowing they will have to pay big to keep Tavares) so I wonder what his plan is here. 

Simon Despres is looking to play again in North America, is willing to play in the AHL, and happens to be from Laval.  Guess where this is going...  http://www.lapresse.ca/sports/hockey/201806/18/01-5186176-simon-despres-veut-une-chance.php

Can’t see Washington repeating next year. You heard it here first. It all started when Trotz resigned. 

9 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

Wow, what was Ottawa thinking in that trade with San Jose 

I miss read the trade. I thought it said Cody ceici and Mike Hoffman.

Still not great for Ottawa though. 

I like it for Ottawa.. obviously San Jose gets the better player, but Boedker is a solid NHLer. I didn't think Ottawa was going to get much after the bullying stuff came out.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Ottawa sold massively low on Hoffman

This is a major downgrade in talent

Boedker scores a few points but is a tire fire defensively

Well, you can hardly blame Ottawa for 'selling low' on that guy. The context was a total disaster.

Hoffman has been flipped to Florida for a trio of picks (2nd/4th/5th).  Ottawa's policy of not wanting to deal in the division comes back to bite them here - they'd have been better off with the picks than eating Boedker's contract.

12 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Guess that takes Florida out of any Pacioretty trade talks?

Hoffman and Huberdeau on the left, I would say so.

Don't know if he gets traded if Bergevin still wants to compete. Which is absolutely stupid but hey, he gets free Comwave out of Max Domi's dad now so who is dumb? 

47 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Hoffman has been flipped to Florida for a trio of picks (2nd/4th/5th).  Ottawa's policy of not wanting to deal in the division comes back to bite them here - they'd have been better off with the picks than eating Boedker's contract.

I can't stand any policy of 'refusing' to trade with a specific cluster of teams. That is based on PR considerations rather than the main aim which is WINNING. So I'm glad it 'came back to bite' the Sens here, both because I despise everything to do with that organization in general, and because teams deserve to suffer when they adhere to such idiotic policies.

What’s also pathetic is that in either case - San Jose or Florida, Hoffman gets to a go to a better city and team, and in the case of Florida, saves big time on taxes. So in the end, the alleged cyber bullying put him into a much better place than where he was.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Well, you can hardly blame Ottawa for 'selling low' on that guy. The context was a total disaster.

And San Jose flips him for more value than Ottawa got. 

• dlbalr unpinned this topic