2018 NHL Offseason Thread

Trizzak

1 hour ago, illWill said:

Ottawa was forced to trade him, which put them at a disadvantage during negotiations compared to San Jose 

They actually asked for more from Florida. Tallon said it was too expensive. Then Sharks told them they were acquiring him and all they wanted back.

Sens might have been forced but they purposely took a weaker deal to avoid having him in division. Then he gets traded in division.

5 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

They actually asked for more from Florida. Tallon said it was too expensive. Then Sharks told them they were acquiring him and all they wanted back.

Sens might have been forced but they purposely took a weaker deal to avoid having him in division. Then he gets traded in division.

Yup, Dorion is left with egg on his face here and Wilson makes out like a bandit.

2 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

What’s also pathetic is that in either case - San Jose or Florida, Hoffman gets to a go to a better city and team, and in the case of Florida, saves big time on taxes. So in the end, the alleged cyber bullying put him into a much better place than where he was.

Maybe the girlfriend wanted out of Ottawa which is why she did what she did if indeed it was her. 

12 minutes ago, Metallica said:

Maybe the girlfriend wanted out of Ottawa which is why she did what she did if indeed it was her. 

There are easier ways to get out of a city then what she did, which is despicable. 

See the difference in what Pateryn's girlfriend did and what this person was alleged to do. 

I think the best beat for the habs is to resign Pacioretty so we can get more out of him in a trade and not have to rush it.

If we can't trade him this summer i don't want to wait tell the deadline and get less for him.

3 minutes ago, Commandant said:

There are easier ways to get out of a city then what she did, which is despicable. 

See the difference in what Pateryn's girlfriend did and what this person was alleged to do. 

Oh I know agree 

29 minutes ago, Metallica said:

I think the best beat for the habs is to resign Pacioretty so we can get more out of him in a trade and not have to rush it.

If we can't trade him this summer i don't want to wait tell the deadline and get less for him.

If you trade him in the summer, you’re pretty much guaranteeing a lost season next year, unless the return includes some immediate help in addition to futures. 

I understand everyone cares so much about our team 3 years down the line but for me, that’s a major con against trading him this summer. 

Galchenyuk was literally the only player who could replace Pacioretty’s scoring and so even though I’m in the minority, if Pacioretty also gets traded, “I’m done*”. 

*depending on the return 

8 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

If you trade him in the summer, you’re pretty much guaranteeing a lost season next year, unless the return includes some immediate help in addition to futures. 

I understand everyone cares so much about our team 3 years down the line but for me, that’s a major con against trading him this summer. 

Galchenyuk was literally the only player who could replace Pacioretty’s scoring and so even though I’m in the minority, if Pacioretty also gets traded, “I’m done*”. 

*depending on the return 

That's why I don't want this rushed if they do trade him. Sign him take your time and fill team holes if you trade him.

26 minutes ago, Metallica said:

That's why I don't want this rushed if they do trade him. Sign him take your time and fill team holes if you trade him.

I personally agree that signing Pacioretty to an extension is the best course of action. What I don’t see is that Bergevin would be thinking like you in terms of signing him with the intention of trading him as a result of now having him locked up for more years. Maybe trade him in a few years but if you sign him to an extension my personal vision gets a little blurry as to why it’s necessary to trade him at all. 

The fan base has been crying for needs to be filled via trade and the last two biggest trades we’ve made have been trading away those very needs. Sergachev is a LD and NHL.com has Galchenyuk screaming center. 

I know it’s a completely different discussion altogether but why are we so sure that trading Pacioretty will fill a need in our lineup. Of course it should but the GM’s brainwaves don’t seem to be connecting with the fan base and their line of thinking. I don’t see us getting a Ryan Johanssen or even a trade involving a Cam Fowler/Jake Muzzin/ ick Leddy for Pacioretty; even if he were signed long term. 

1 hour ago, Metallica said:

If Pacioretty signs he will be asking for a retroactive NMC like Carey did.

I am still thinking Pacs must go.. he just doesn't skate like a captain should. Not every night, but sometimes he is a floater.

You don't trade him and you either end up paying him like Kessel or letting him walk for nothing.

5 minutes ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

I am still thinking Pacs must go.. he just doesn't skate like a captain should. Not every night, but sometimes he is a floater.

There’s no one who doesn’t fit that description given the right circumstance.

As for captains, Kopitar floats, Getzlaf floats, Landeskog floats, Koivu floats, Wheeler floats...

Not every night but they all do. 

In my opinion, despite all the negative remarks

I read about him during game day threads, this is the wrong reason to trade him. Worrying

about paying him is also a wrong reason to trade him. This happened already with Markov and Radulov, although admittedly trading them would have been much better than the alternative.

The best reasons to move him are to make sure he doesn’t walk for nothing (re: extension) or because you think he can no longer score 30-50 goals. Who cares that he “floats” if he still is capable of being one of the primary goal scorers in the league and puts up 70+ points.

He remains our most valuable trade piece at a position where we are deep

I also have no interest in a 7 or 8 year extension at evander kane money

He needs to be moved for those reasons alone, even if he is still a valuable scorer.

1 hour ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

*depending on the return 

Literally?

However, Habs had one 30g scorer last year and it wasn't 67 nor 27.

Lehkonen could possibly replace Galchenyuk's goals. Depends which Lehkonen we see this season though.

32 minutes ago, DON said:

Literally?

However, Habs had one 30g scorer last year and it wasn't 67 nor 27.

Lehkonen could possibly replace Galchenyuk's goals. Depends which Lehkonen we see this season though.

I viewed it more as Galchenyuk and Pacioretty both being left hand shots who can play left wing. If we trade Pacioretty, we don’t have a top line caliber goal scoring left wing. Galchenyuk had that potential. Whether or not he would have been played there in replacement of Pacioretty is a whole other question and a moot point at this point in time. 

Well if you brake down the team its

Pacioretty - ? - Gallagher 

Domi/Drouin  - Drouin/Danault   - Scherbak 

Lehkonen  - Danault/Domi  -Shaw

Byron  - Rose - Hudon 

? - Weber 

Alzner - Petry 

Schlemko  - Benn 

Price

Niemi 

Mete , Reilly,  Deslauriers , Carr

So this is the team as of today. If we sign Tavares then our biggest need will be a #1LD. If we lose out on Tavares then we still need  a  #1 center  and a #1 LD. 

So this gives me 2 opinions here

Opinion 1) wait tell after Tavares signs , this way if we land him i can then ask for a #1LD plus  for Pacioretty.

Opinion 2) I ask for a top LD plus a top young center for Pacioretty in a trade. This way I got a back up plan if Tavares doesn't sign here.

Opinion 1 you can get away with asking for less for Pacioretty if you get Tavares.

Opinion 2 you need to get a lot back just in case you can't sign Tavares.

2 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I viewed it more as Galchenyuk and Pacioretty both being left hand shots who can play left wing. If we trade Pacioretty, we don’t have a top line caliber goal scoring left wing. Galchenyuk had that potential. Whether or not he would have been played there in replacement of Pacioretty is a whole other question and a moot point at this point in time. 

Drouin, Lehkonen, Hudon, Byron, Carr can all play LW. Byron 20-22g in past 2 years and Lehkonen had 18g as a rookie.

2 hours ago, DON said:

Drouin, Lehkonen, Hudon, Byron, Carr can all play LW. Byron 20-22g in past 2 years and Lehkonen had 18g as a rookie.

We’re comparing goal scoring here. I know you’ve been one of the few on Pacioretty’s side as well but we’re seriously undervaluing Pacioretty if we think any of Drouin, Lehkonen, Hudon, Byron or Carr can keep up with Pacioretty’s goal scoring. 

That’s the problem. If we trade Pacioretty, Byron would be the best choice as first line left wing. 

1 hour ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

We’re comparing goal scoring here. I know you’ve been one of the few on Pacioretty’s side as well but we’re seriously undervaluing Pacioretty if we think any of Drouin, Lehkonen, Hudon, Byron or Carr can keep up with Pacioretty’s goal scoring. 

That’s the problem. If we trade Pacioretty, Byron would be the best choice as first line left wing. 

What? If we trade Pacs our first line LW should be Drouin.

Drouin - ?? - Lehks

Domi - ?? - Gallagher

Byron - Danault - Shaw

Deslauriers - DLR - Scherbak/Shaw

Our wingers aren’t the issue, the two gaping holes in the middle is why you move Pacs.

53 minutes ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

What? If we trade Pacs our first line LW should be Drouin.

Drouin - ?? - Lehks

Domi - ?? - Gallagher

Byron - Danault - Shaw

Deslauriers - DLR - Scherbak/Shaw

Our wingers aren’t the issue, the two gaping holes in the middle is why you move Pacs.

Yes, because Drouin played so much left wing last year and I’m sure both those “??” will simply be magically filled. 

2 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Byron would be? Why would he play on 1st line? Has he ever?

5 minutes ago, DON said:

Byron would be? Why would he play on 1st line? Has he ever?

Exactly. 

• dlbalr unpinned this topic