2018 NHL Offseason Thread

Trizzak

3 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Dougie Hamilton, Micheal Ferland, and Adam Fox to CAR for Noah Hanifin and Elias Lindholm. 

Nice win for Calgary. Hanifin and Lindholm would have solved some problems here in Montreal.. oh well I guess

10 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

For me it's that i'm low on Ferland.

That’s exactly what you need to do with a guy who had a career year and is really not likely to repeat.  If that was MB he probably would have resigned him to a Shaw type deal, while playing hardball with Subban/galchenyuk type players.

2 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Looks like a solid trading of skill for character - Canes win due to increase in character

:lol: I haven't laughed so hard at a post on this site in a while. Thanks, Saku!

I believe it was Habs29 who urged the Habs to swoop in on Carolina and see if we couldn't profit from their confusion. He lives in Calgary, so I guess the Flames got the memo instead.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

:lol: I haven't laughed so hard at a post on this site in a while. Thanks, Saku!

I believe it was Habs29 who urged the Habs to swoop in on Carolina and see if we couldn't profit from their confusion. He lives in Calgary, so I guess the Flames got the memo instead.

The thing with trades is that it takes two teams to agree on the deal. Do we think Bergevin didn't inquire about those players at all? Swoop in and make Carolina take the deal? We should hire Habs29 to be GM. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Doesn't top Burkes comments yesterday about Toronto and Montreal being the two hardest markets to GM in.

In Montreal you're stupid twice ... You're stupid in English and French 

In Toronto you're stupid once but all the time. Best line ever.

2 hours ago, Metallica said:

Doesn't top Burkes comments yesterday about Toronto and Montreal being the two hardest markets to GM in.

In Montreal you're stupid twice ... You're stupid in English and French 

In Toronto you're stupid once but all the time. Best line ever.

I got a kick out of it too, can always count on Burke to keep it real and unedited lol.

8 hours ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

Nice win for Calgary. Hanifin and Lindholm would have solved some problems here in Montreal.. oh well I guess

Really.  I think CAR got the better of the trade personally.  Hanifin/Lindholm are underachievers and overrated IMO.  Time will tell as they say!

Xavier Ouellet is getting bought out by the Detroit Red Wings. He's from France but played in the Q.

6'1" former 2nd rounder who played for the Junior and Armada (Bouchard and Ducharme both coached him as assistants), 24 years old, left handed shot.

45 games for the Red Wings and only seven assists. Only one goal and two assists less what Bergevin did with the Red Wings in 95-96 in 70 games.

39 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Xavier Ouellet is getting bought out by the Detroit Red Wings. He's from France but played in the Q.

6'1" former 2nd rounder who played for the Junior and Armada (Bouchard and Ducharme both coached him as assistants), 24 years old, left handed shot.

45 games for the Red Wings and only seven assists. Only one goal and two assists less what Bergevin did with the Red Wings in 95-96 in 70 games.

I am going with a no, I've had enough with the 6th/7th D pickup after pickup , quite frankly it is time to let Mete, Rielly, and Juulsen take the ball and run with it. We should only be targeting a legitimate top 4 D or nothing, because nothing else will help us improve anyway.

1 hour ago, Metallica said:

Whats worse us not getting Tavares or Toronto getting hiM if he goes there?

Toronto getting him would be interesting. Offence down the middle is something they have in surplus. Adding Tavares would mean a lot of guys getting shipped out to make room, likely for low cost youngsters in places they need like defence. 

But if they get him they got him. It was inevitable. Tavares is only coming here if he wants to. He certainly isn't coming here because it's the best team in the league. Or even 20th best.

21 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Toronto getting him would be interesting. Offence down the middle is something they have in surplus. Adding Tavares would mean a lot of guys getting shipped out to make room, likely for low cost youngsters in places they need like defence.

They could max him for one year without having to do much to their roster - they have a ton of cap room this summer but will be restricted to one-year deals with Marner/Matthews coming up next season.  Would Tavares do one year at $15.9M and then hit the market again next offseason?  It's an interesting idea.

• dlbalr unpinned this topic