2018 NHL Offseason Thread

Trizzak

59 minutes ago, Dalhabs said:

So what will we do with all our capspace?

Sign that guy who crashed the trainingcamp and took shots at Theodore many years ago?

I would trade pacioretty for a prospect ands use the cap space to take bad contacts and picks prospects as Brian said.  Before using it for a quick fix that doesn't solve long term stuff.  

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Yeah, well, it's not gonna happen. 

With Tavares not even entertaining an offer from the Habs (unless something changes soon) I think Molson might have opened eyes at the reality of this club. By the summer we might have a new GM and the veterans might want to jump ship. If we don't make the playoffs again I don't see how Weber doesn't privately request a trade.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

With Tavares not even entertaining an offer from the Habs (unless something changes soon) I think Molson might have opened eyes at the reality of this club. By the summer we might have a new GM and the veterans might want to jump ship. If we don't make the playoffs again I don't see how Weber doesn't privately request a trade.

Weber was unhappy to be traded in the first place. He has been a consummate pro in dealing with that, but you could well be right. (By contrast, I can see Price playing out his career here irrespective of any other considerations, eventually petering out meekly like Luongo).

1 hour ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Do you think its the club or the fans, media and taxes in Montreal? 

35 minutes ago, Metallica said:

Do you think its the club or the fans, media and taxes in Montreal? 

Number one: hockey culture. Cities like LA, NY, Philly, Chicago, players know thick and thin that generally management will be there for them. In Montreal you are one quote away from a knife in your back. There's no chill in Montreal. We like to think that's a good thing but you can still have thousands screaming for you in Nashville and Columbus. The hockey culture in Montreal is pro management, and almost anti player. It has been for a long time. Gainey worked hardest to change this and Gauthier ruined it with how he handled Cammalleri. Bergevin tried to set a tone but made it clear early that Therrien and him were the kings. In LA, they will take a practice with a domestic abuser and face a half a million fine because the players matter most. That's awful but players pay attention.

Number two: everything else. I truly believe if this club was relatively consistent record wise with a hockey culture that supported the players, we would be a #1 destination regardless of language, taxes, etc. Taxes only matter to libertarians. I bet you every top star that has played in Montreal got their tax money back in endorsements they could only get in Quebec due to the power of the team. Maybe the up and down record hurts, but if a guy wanted to cash in he wouldn't care.

Look at the Isles right now. I think Trotz is overrated and Lou is a fossil but they represent stability and a fresh culture. Tavares or no Tavares, you are gonna see a lot of players choosing the Islanders in the future.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Weber was unhappy to be traded in the first place. He has been a consummate pro in dealing with that, but you could well be right. (By contrast, I can see Price playing out his career here irrespective of any other considerations, eventually petering out meekly like Luongo).

I really feel bad for Weber. Nashville thrives, while Habs dive. 

16 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

I really feel bad for Weber. Nashville thrives, while Habs dive. 

I’m almost certain he doesn’t think of things that way so don’t fret about it. Feel bad for him for having got injured for most of the season, not because of Nashville. 

9 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I’m almost certain he doesn’t think of things that way so don’t fret about it. Feel bad for him for having got injured for most of the season, not because of Nashville. 

I guartuntee if you put a little truth serum in his morning coffee, he'd be spewing how much he misses Nashville.

He deserved to be part of their success. Injuries have nothing to do with it. 

An injured Weber would dismantle the chances of most teams who rely on him for a season. I’m sure if you put a little truth serum in his morning coffee, he’s hoping to be healthy and actually contribute to the success of the team. 

If Weber doesn’t get traded from Nashville, the team takes a completely different path and so he can’t just look at their team and say I wish I was there because the exact same thing would be happening. 

The type of thought you are displaying is very short term oriented and truthfully should only happen after years on his new team rather than two. Only one of which he played. In 10

years, it’s possible he thinks to himself “if only”. It’s also possible he thinks of the change in positive light. 

3 minutes ago, Metallica said:

Theres a reason why even a lot of home grown players don't even want to play for there home town.  So something is wrong here. 

Having been born in Montreal, Canada, if I were a professional hockey player, it would be a dream of mine to play for the Montreal Canadiens. More so than any other team. So

something is wrong with them.

16 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Having been born in Montreal, Canada, if I were a professional hockey player, it would be a dream of mine to play for the Montreal Canadiens. More so than any other team. So

something is wrong with them.

Well guys like Lecavalier wanted nothing to do with Montreal 

49 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I bet he asks for a trade in the next year or two.

3 hours ago, Metallica said:

Theres a reason why even a lot of home grown players don't even want to play here in there home town.  So something is wrong here, something needs to change.

To the extent that this is true - and BTW homeboy Drouin was thrilled to come here - it has to do with the Habs being a garbage organization run by Bozo the Clown. There is truth in the thought that Montreal is a tough place to be when the team sucks, unlike, say, Tampa, where no one really gives a sh*t. So as long as the Canadiens are a tire-fire, it's going to be hard to sell guys on it. The flip side is thst when things are looking good, as they were in 2014 and 15 (before Bozo Bergevin had had enough time to dismantle the club), guys like Petry come here and love every second of it. 

• Upvote 1

On 2018-06-25 at 4:59 PM, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

To the extent that this is true - and BTW homeboy Drouin was thrilled to come here - it has to do with the Habs being a garbage organization run by Bozo the Clown. There is truth in the thought that Montreal is a tough place to be when the team sucks, unlike, say, Tampa, where no one really gives a sh*t. So as long as the Canadiens are a tire-fire, it's going to be hard to sell guys on it. The flip side is thst when things are looking good, as they were in 2014 and 15 (before Bozo Bergevin had had enough time to dismantle the club), guys like Petry come here and love every second of it. 

Petry was coming from Edmonton. They were losing all the time. He came to Montreal and we were wining of course has going to love it. Ask Petry now how he likes it here. If you look at it what's going on here is what was going on in Edmonton when he left.

10 minutes ago, Metallica said:

Petry was coming from Edmonton. They were losing all the time. He came to Montreal and we were wining of course has going to love it. Ask Petry now how he likes it here. If you look at it what's going on here is what was going on in Edmonton when he left.

We rarely play him on the left which was his biggest pet peeve in Edmonton. So there's that I guess. He did have a career year. 

25 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

J.T. Miller signs a big contract with Tampa. I don't see how Tavares goes to Tampa now, but if Tavares wants to be a bolt... I bet that means Johnson goes to market.

They'd have to deal Callahan and Tyler Johnson IMO

Or Callahan and Killorn

Or Callahan and some other contracts

Tampa has about $50 million on the books for 2019-20 for 10 players.  Players needing new deals that year include Kucherov, Point, McDonagh, and Stralman.  Something has to give and with Johnson's NTC kicking in on Sunday, I have to wonder if they may look to move him and cash in on the high demand for centres.

Baahahahaa Bettman going into the HOF while still active is hilarious. Such a Trump move! I guess this is the age of Narcissists after all. They must be members of the same megalomaniac support group!

4 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Tampa has about $50 million on the books for 2019-20 for 10 players.  Players needing new deals that year include Kucherov, Point, McDonagh, and Stralman.  Something has to give and with Johnson's NTC kicking in on Sunday, I have to wonder if they may look to move him and cash in on the high demand for centres.

Do we really want Bergevin trading with Tampa again? Look how well the last trade worked out. I  can just see it now we get Johnson and Bergevin sends them Kotkaniemi.

1 hour ago, Metallica said:

Do we really want Bergevin trading with Tampa again? Look how well the last trade worked out. I  can just see it now we get Johnson and Bergevin sends them Kotkaniemi.

Well if he manages to snag Tavares, how about Weber, Gallagher, maxpac for Johnson, Sergechev, point and McDonough.

7 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Well if he manages to snag Tavares, how about Weber, Gallagher, maxpac for Johnson, Sergechev, point and McDonough.

If Tampa nabs Tavares they will be trying to shed cap, not take it back.

Problem Tampa has is so many NTC clauses. It's not like Nashville who if they landed Tavares they could trade Johansen anywhere. Johnson got a no trade clause so if he doesn't want to leave he won't. Callahan has likely been on the block for a while. Miller just got signed but his lack of NTC makes him easy to move unlike everyone else. And almost all of their D have NTC clauses.

That said, would one help Tampa win a Cup and possibly form a dynasty by helping them out of cap crunch if they get Tavares? My answer? Absolutely if they give up enough. I would gladly take Callahan and Coburn off their hands if they send back a package with Taylor Raddysh, Gabe Fortier, Ross Colton, and some high draft picks. Would even toss them a cheap defenceman back. 

I'm all for the long run game. I don't care what a division rival does in the next three years if it means us being better five years later. 

• Upvote 1

• dlbalr unpinned this topic