2018 NHL Offseason Thread

Trizzak

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

What irks me is that many fans and much of the media are already swallowing the Kool Aid. So much for accountability.

Not me man.

If Bergevin could build a winning team, we'd be winning right now.

These were the prime years of this team's core, and he obliterated it. 

This season was the perfect time to bring in a new g.m like Hunter and let him start the rebuild with a third overall pick and pile of second rounders. 

I cannot beilive that people are still buying into this clown. 

12 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

Not me man.

If Bergevin could build a winning team, we'd be winning right now.

These were the prime years of this team's core, and he obliterated it. 

This season was the perfect time to bring in a new g.m like Hunter and let him start the rebuild with a third overall pick and pile of second rounders. 

I cannot beilive that people are still buying into this clown. 

Indeed.

I mean, what reason is there for believing that this latest rebuild - which is no different in nature from the Gainey rebuilds - will yield a team any better than the team we had in 2014 and 2015?

And what reason is there for believing that next time, MB will do any better a job of taking a good core and elevating it to championship status?

No reason at all.

With all the deserved criticism he gets, he should also be given due credit for cleaning Gauthier's mess and putting a competitive team most years

The rebuild path he is on now is a new phase; Not clear where it will lead but it is disengenious to tar&feather him beyond his share of blame 

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

With all the deserved criticism he gets, he should also be given due credit for cleaning Gauthier's mess and putting a competitive team most years

The rebuild path he is on now is a new phase; Not clear where it will lead but it is disengenious to tar&feather him beyond his share of blame 

Gauthier really didn't leave a "mess"

He left the team with a young #1 goalie, a young #1 defenceman, and a young #1 LW... all of whom were already producing in the NHL and a #3 overall pick

He also had an Elite LHD, and very strong #2 centre who could play against top lines and a #3 centre with size and good defensive game.  The #2 C and #1 LHD were in their prime (and are now old). In the minors he had a player who would emerge as a top 6 RW in Gallagher and a pair of 1st round defencemen who would ultimately fail.

Most came in the Gainey era except Markov (Houle), Plekanec (Savard) and Eller (Gauthier) so Gauthier only added one of the good pieces (and Beaulieu, Tinordi).

Gauthier had to go cause he was on his way to ruining the potential we had, but was moved out early enough that the next GM had the chance to build a contender. 

The next GMs biggest job was getting a number 1 centre. 

What did he do?

- Drafted a kid at 3 who should have been that top C, then allowed his coach to play him on wing for 4 years.

Then he did this with his top 3 centre spots 

- Went into the 2012-13 season with Desharnais, Plekanec, Eller

- Went into the 2013-14 season with Desharnais, Plekanec, Eller

- Went into the 2014-15 season with Desharnais, Plekanec, Eller

- Went into the 2015-16 season with Desharnais, Plekanec, Eller

- Went into the 2016-17 season with Galchenyuk finally at Centre, Desharnais, Plekanec,  (Danault started on the fourth line and eventually emerged).

- Went into the 2017-18 season with Drouin, Danault, Plekanec

Only now do i finally see a coherrent plan to address the position and its through building with Kotkaniemi and Poehling. 

It took him until his 6th off season in charge before he even tried to make a change at Centre (Drouin, drafting Poehling) and then into his 7th to get another kid in Kotkaniemi. 

He has completely and utterly failed this team over his tenure, and I have no confidence in his ability to rebuild it. 

We are in a much worse position than when he took over. 

• Upvote 3

47 minutes ago, Commandant said:

He left the team with a young #1 goalie, a young #1 defenceman, and a young #1 LW... all of whom were already producing in the NHL and a #3 overall pick

He also had an Elite LHD, and very strong #2 centre who could play against top lines and a #3 centre with size and good defensive game.  The #2 C and #1 LHD were in their prime (and are now old). In the minors he had a player who would emerge as a top 6 RW in Gallagher and a pair of 1st round defencemen who would ultimately fail.

Most came in the Gainey era except Markov (Houle), Plekanec (Savard) and Eller (Gauthier) so Gauthier only added one of the good pieces (and Beaulieu, Tinordi).

Gauthier had to go cause he was on his way to ruining the potential we had, but was moved out early enough that the next GM had the chance to build a contender. 

What did he do?

- Drafted a kid at 3 who should have been that top C, then allowed his coach to play him on wing for 4 years.

- Went into the 2016-17 season with Galchenyuk finally at Centre, Desharnais, Plekanec,  (Danault started on the fourth line and eventually emerged).

Only now do i finally see a coherrent plan to address the position and its through building with Kotkaniemi and Poehling. 

It took him until his 6th off season in charge before he even tried to make a change at Centre (Drouin, drafting Poehling) and then into his 7th to get another kid in Kotkaniemi. 

He has completely and utterly failed this team over his tenure, and I have no confidence in his ability to rebuild it. 

Makes me want to re-start my JoeLassister's Post of the Year Award  thread in the Lobby. 

But the Lobby is cold as ice.

Bring back PTG.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

What did he do?

100%

5 hours ago, Commandant said:

With all due respect Commandant, I disagree on the Gauthier legacy:

His drafts were:

1st round: Tinordi (2010 #22), Beaulieu (2011 #17)

2nd round: given for Lang (2010),  given for Moore (2011) & extra given for Wisniewki (2011)

3rd round: given for Scheneider (2010),

4th round: MacMillan (2010), Ellis (2010),  2011's traded for Sopel, Nygren (2011)

5th round 2010: lucked out with Gallagher.

His signings: Eller, D. Moore, Palusha, Schultz, Boyd, Ramo, MacIntyre, Dawes, Mara, Wisniewski, Bourque, Kaberle, Blunden

Result: zero game changing impact player.

A 3rd round playoff exit in 2010, with Gayney's team and an early 1st round exit in 2011.

===

The first year of Bergevin:

* Bought out Gomez

Drafted: Galchenyuk (1st round #3), traded Collberg for Vanek, Thrower (2nd round #51), Bozon, Vail, Hudon ...

I am not defending Bergevin's record (here, different thread for that); but stating that Gauthier was sh!!t

Edited by alfredoh2009
added why I was not detailing MB's record here

The point is that Bergevin inherited a strong hand and utterly misplayed it. Gauthier may not have been great, but he nonetheless handed off an organization with very good pieces. As Commandant effectively documents.

My only addition to Commandant's account would be that in addition to failing to secure that elusive #1C, Bergevin also had absolutely no succession plan for two key veterans: Plekanec and Markov. Once Pleks hit his best-by date, and once Markov was done, the team was crippled at C and LD. That these players would need to be replaced within the foreseeable future was a fact that would have been obvious to any forward-thinking GM. He did nothing, zero, zilch to address the matter (instead he flailed around chasing chimeras like "leadership"). That failure, more than anything else, explains why a team that was knocking on the door in 2014 and should be in its Cup window right now instead regressed into oblivion. Sheer, egregious neglect and incompetence. And this is the boob whom we're trusting to rebuild the franchise.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

His drafts were:

2nd round: given for Lang (2010),  given for Moore (2011) & extra given for Wisniewki (2011)

4th round: MacMillan (2010), Ellis (2010),  2011's traded for Sopel, Nygren (2011)

His signings: Eller, D. Moore, Palusha, Schultz, Boyd, Ramo, MacIntyre, Dawes, Mara, Wisniewski, Bourque, Kaberle, Blunden

A 3rd round playoff exit in 2010, with Gayney's team and an early 1st round exit in 2011.

===

* Bought out Gomez

Drafted: Galchenyuk (1st round #3), traded Collberg for Vanek, Thrower (2nd round #51), Bozon, Vail, Hudon ...

I am not defending Bergevin's record (here, different thread for that); but stating that Gauthier was sh!!t

I didn't say Gauthier did a good job

I said there was no mess to clean up

The good young players Gainey acquired were still in the system and produced the core of the good team Bergevin inherited

Gauthier didn't improve on Gainey's work, but he also wasnt the GM long enough to have left a mess.  Bergevin inherited a young team ready to compete.  His failure to get a number 1 C as well as making the number 1 RHD older, and letting the #2 C and #1 LHD age without replacement have made the team worse

1 hour ago, Scott462 said:

Now the dust has settled in regards to Tavares leaving for Toronto, I legitimately feel sorry for the Islanders and their fans.

John Tavares shafted them big time. 

They had 9 years to build a contender while he was there, and failed miserably. We are here pistol whipping Bergevin for failing to do it in 4 years, you expect Tavares to watch his career chances to win pass him by being more patient than anyone in his position should? Got to put things in perspective, He almost gave a Decade of his career to a stuck in the mud team, who is still stuck in the mud, and has a better chance of being moved into their new arena before they actually become contenders.

The Islanders failed Tavares, not the other way around, he would have stayed just like Stamkos did if they were close to winning and had a bright long term future like Tampa did at the time. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Link67 said:

They had 9 years to build a contender while he was there, and failed miserably. We are here pistol whipping Bergevin for failing to do it in 4 years, you expect Tavares to watch his career chances to win pass him by being more patient than anyone in his position should? Got to put things in perspective, He almost gave a Decade of his career to a stuck in the mud team, who is still stuck in the mud, and has a better chance of being moved into their new arena before they actually become contenders.

The Islanders failed Tavares, not the other way around, he would have stayed just like Stamkos did if they were close to winning and had a bright long term future like Tampa did at the time. 

I don’t disagree with anything you just said.

I don’t think Islander fans are upset he left, it’s how he left. They literally got nothing for him and from the way it looks like anyway that’s how he wanted it. 

Also you take into the fact of his Leaf bed sheet ready tweet after the signing was announced, the fact he couldn’t mention Barzal by name and that not one of his teammates have wished him goodluck. It seems pretty fishy to me.

33 minutes ago, Link67 said:

The Islanders even without Tavares have a MUCH better future than us.  First of all, they have a solid management team now and could are rumoured to be a potential destination for Hunter as well. The past performance was a result of the idiotic Wang/Snow/Milbury unholy trinity.  We have a clueless management team.  Second, the Isles did quite well at the draft as some players rated higher fell to them.  They also have Bartzal, who i'd pretty much trade anyone on our roster for.

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The point is that Bergevin inherited a strong hand and utterly misplayed it. Gauthier may not have been great, but he nonetheless handed off an organization with very good pieces. As Commandant effectively documents.

My only addition to Commandant's account would be that in addition to failing to secure that elusive #1C, Bergevin also had absolutely no succession plan for two key veterans: Plekanec and Markov. Once Pleks hit his best-by date, and once Markov was done, the team was crippled at C and LD. That these players would need to be replaced within the foreseeable future was a fact that would have been obvious to any forward-thinking GM. He did nothing, zero, zilch to address the matter (instead he flailed around chasing chimeras like "leadership"). That failure, more than anything else, explains why a team that was knocking on the door in 2014 and should be in its Cup window right now instead regressed into oblivion. Sheer, egregious neglect and incompetence. And this is the boob whom we're trusting to rebuild the franchise.

Don't forget not having a succession plan for Subban who he stupidly traded away, after trading away the guy who he himself said was Suban's successor (Sergechev) less than one year after making that declaration. Oh and Sergechev as a rookie dman had a better year than Drouin who he was moved for.

4 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

His drafts were:

===

* Bought out Gomez

Given where he was drafted, the Mccaron pick was worse than any of those and MB benefited from the lockout amnesty to be able to buyout Gomez.  He than promptly replaced him with a just as washed up Briere.  The year he should have given Subban an affordable 8-12 year deal (back when he could), he than wasted that money on Briere and Prust.  

MB also had much more backing from Molson despite having a lot more time to make stupid mistakes.  When Gauthier fired Martin and promoted Cunneworth as an INTERIM coach, Molson promptly cut off both of their balls by saying the montreal canadiens would always have a French coach after the usual language out cry bullshit by the media idiots like Rejean Tremblay.  

MB's first coaching firing was even worst than Cunneyworth hiring, since it wasn't an interim move and he basically replaced MT with a balder clone.

I didn't like Guathier, but I absolutely LOATHE MB.  He has pretty much repeated what Houle did in destroying a pretty could up and coming lineup that he inherited.

The difference is that Houle was basically a nice guy that was put into a role he had no business having by an idiotic president.  ON the other hand MB is an arrogant bastard who on any other organization (with the exception of the Charles Wang Islanders) would have been fired 3 or 4 years ago.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

I didn't say Gauthier did a good job

I said there was no mess to clean up

The good young players Gainey acquired were still in the system and produced the core of the good team Bergevin inherited

Gauthier didn't improve on Gainey's work, but he also wasnt the GM long enough to have left a mess.  Bergevin inherited a young team ready to compete.  His failure to get a number 1 C as well as making the number 1 RHD older, and letting the #2 C and #1 LHD age without replacement have made the team worse

I do not agree that Gauthier didn't leave a mess. After Gainey's daughter disappeared at sea , Gauthier ran the club and later inherited the title.

Gainey's legaccy was:

Notable draft picks:

Leblanc, Dumont, Kristo, Pateryn, McDonagh, Pacioretty, Subban, Y. Weber, Ryan White, Price, Latendresse, D'Agostini, S.Kostitsyn, Chipchura, Emelin, Wyman, Grabovski, A.Kostitsyn, Lapierre, O'Byrn, Halak

Notable trade acquisitions: Gomez, Gionta, Cammallery, Pyatt, Pouliot, Tanguay, Lang, Scheneider, J.Georges, Huet, Streit, Kovalev,

I do not remember those teams as being strong cup contenders. They had some good runs, but it was always a struggle. Always deprived of a dominant center. I may be wrong, but it seems to me that none of those teams ever really "came together".

Only the 2007 draft year yielded a good crop of players. None of the trade acquisitions brought elite players.

I do not understand why it is forgotten how bad the team Bergevin inherited was. And how thin the prospect pool was...

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I do not agree that Gauthier didn't leave a mess. After Gainey's daughter disappeared at sea , Gauthier ran the club and later inherited the title.

Gainey's legaccy was:

Notable draft picks:

Leblanc, Dumont, Kristo, Pateryn, McDonagh, Pacioretty, Subban, Y. Weber, Ryan White, Price, Latendresse, D'Agostini, S.Kostitsyn, Chipchura, Emelin, Wyman, Grabovski, A.Kostitsyn, Lapierre, O'Byrn, Halak

Notable trade acquisitions: Gomez, Gionta, Cammallery, Pyatt, Pouliot, Tanguay, Lang, Scheneider, J.Georges, Huet, Streit, Kovalev,

I do not remember those teams as being strong cup contenders. They had some good runs, but it was always a struggle. Always deprived of a dominant center. I may be wrong, but it seems to me that none of those teams ever really "came together".

Only the 2007 draft year yielded a good crop of players. None of the trade acquisitions brought elite players.

I do not understand why it is forgotten how bad the team Bergevin inherited was. And how thin the prospect pool was...

A lot of trade acquisitions you’ve listed were free agents.  Gainey’s team went to the final 4 in the Halak year.  MB’s team went to the final 4 in the Price MVP year.  Both years the only deep runs we had were largely on the back of the core from Gainey acquisitions and draftees.

gainey inherited a much bigger mess than MB.  Gainey/Gauthier (as AGM) at least set the table for a good core - MB replaced that core with mostly garbage.

3 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Gainey's legaccy was:

Notable draft picks:

The very fact that our only significant moves were

Buying out two players (gomez and kaberle)

Signing brandon prust

Trading cole for ryder

And we finished first in the division and second in the conference in Bergevins first year shows that there wasnt a "Mess" to clean up.

His team.was in a strong position and needed the final piece.  He never got.that piece and allowed major parts of the core to crumble without replacement.  Hes a failure.

• Upvote 1

Looks like Duclair picks Columbus  over Habs. 1 year 650k

Something tells me players in the league don't trust Bergevin. They see how he throws his players under the bus when he talks to the media and dont want any part of him.

18 minutes ago, Metallica said:

Looks like Duclair picks Columbus  over Habs. 1 year 650k

Something tells me players in the league don't trust Bergevin. They see how he throws his players under the bus when he talks to the media and dont want any part of him.

Or he went to a team that guaranteed him a bigger role.  It's not like Duclair was going to crack Montreal's lineup given their depth on the wing; Columbus doesn't have the type of depth on the left side that the Habs do.

9 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Or he went to a team that guaranteed him a bigger role.  It's not like Duclair was going to crack Montreal's lineup given their depth on the wing; Columbus doesn't have the type of depth on the left side that the Habs do.

Once we trade Pacioretty there would be a hole opened up that he could of filled. 

I am also sure we offered him more money.  Tavares didn't even put us on his list of teams he want to sign with. And dont give me that BS that he wanted to sign with his hometown team, because if that was the case why entertain offers from 3 other teams.

Players in this league I fill don't trust him.

9 minutes ago, Metallica said:

Once we trade Pacioretty there would be a hole opened up that he could of filled. 

I am also sure we offered him more money.  Tavares didn't even put us on his list of teams he want to sign with. And dont give me that BS that he wanted to sign with his hometown team, because if that was the case why entertain offers from 3 other teams.

Players in this league I fill don't trust him.

Even with Pacioretty gone in your scenario, he still probably wouldn't have cracked the lineup when everyone's healthy.  (Domi/Lehkonen/Byron/Hudon on the left, Gallagher/Shaw/Armia/Scherbak on the right wing with Deslauriers and potentially de la Rose in reserve.)

The other points are hard to debate one way or the other.  We know the Habs spoke with his agent.  We don't know if a contract was even offered let alone for more money.  Considering the limited role he would have had and their current contract situation (47/50 + Kotkaniemi and possibly Cale Fleury still to sign), I don't think they actually offered a concrete deal.

As for the non-trust part, we've had that discussion already.  Personally, I don't think most players care who the GM is - look at the Islanders in the past - their old GM was a laughingstock and they still landed notable free agents.  I believe money, playing time, and the potential to win talk more than whose signature is underneath theirs on the actual contract.

• dlbalr unpinned this topic