2018 NHL Offseason Thread

Trizzak

I liked Duclair in his rookie year and the photo of him with Beliveau. I think we should have drafted him.

But between Domi, Lehkonen, Hudon, Deslauriers, Byron, Pacioretty since he's still there, there is no room for him on the left side. Playing him on the off wing you got Gallagher, Armia, Scherbak, Shaw, Byron again, no room there either. We got no room for trying him as a 3W. The proof is letting Carr walk to Vegas. The sleeper pick I guess was Peca, who could get a shot at centre or play wing, which again pushes Duclair out.

If we had moved Pacioretty, Byron, Lehkonen, and Gallagher and were rolling with Domi, Armia, Hudon, Scherbak, Deslauriers, and Shaw? I would say sign him. But there is just no room for a wing. Bergevin did the right thing. If he impresses and comes back to market, and there is now a spot for him? Absolutely.

Kucherov signs an eight-year, $76M extension with Tampa Bay.  They already have nearly $66M tied up for 2019-20 in just 12 players (7 F, 3 D, 2 G) - it's going to be tough to keep that core intact let alone try to add an extended Erik Karlsson into the mix.

$9.5M is fantastic for Kucherov. 

Tampa needs to get rid of Callahan and Coburn and Palat while likely moving either Johnson or Miller to fit Karlsson. Lots of D going UFA next summer. Doubt they keep Gourde. Amazing they still have Foote and Raddysh in their system. 

Move some of those guys for space, get Karlsson, no excuse to not be the Golden State Warriors of the NHL.

• Upvote 1

Chicago now needs 5 more forwards (2nd line winger, 3rd line winger, 4th line winger, two depth players) and another defenseman (#7 guy). I dunno how many of those spots are gonna be filled internally, but I expect we'll see Chicago picking up some of the remaining free agents. 

14 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Chicago now needs 5 more forwards (2nd line winger, 3rd line winger, 4th line winger, two depth players) and another defenseman (#7 guy). I dunno how many of those spots are gonna be filled internally, but I expect we'll see Chicago picking up some of the remaining free agents. 

Shaw for a 3rd round pick?

26 minutes ago, Metallica said:

Shaw for a 3rd round pick?

Considering some were reporting that Shaw was viewed as an untouchable back at the trade deadline, I don't think the Habs would be looking to dump him for a third.  I also think they're not looking to add another long-term deal.  I wonder if they might have some interest in Benn though as a 6/7 D on an expiring deal.

Not surprised. Good deal for Coyotes to get a super cheap cap eater. Also clears Kruger which tells me they are 100% committed to Galchenyuk at centre. Surprised they let go of Hinostroza when there was a lot of talk he was a second chance for Chicago with Danault. 

5 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Not surprised. Good deal for Coyotes to get a super cheap cap eater. Also clears Kruger which tells me they are 100% committed to Galchenyuk at centre. Surprised they let go of Hinostroza when there was a lot of talk he was a second chance for Chicago with Danault. 

Including Kruger in the deal shouldn't affect Galchenyuk's situation.  They viewed Kruger as a replacement for Brad Richardson on the fourth line and then they went out and re-signed Richardson which made Kruger expendable. 

42 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Including Kruger in the deal shouldn't affect Galchenyuk's situation.  They viewed Kruger as a replacement for Brad Richardson on the fourth line and then they went out and re-signed Richardson which made Kruger expendable. 

True, I'm still thinking everyone is like Montreal where if a guy even said he wants to play centre in a videogame he will get the shot over Galchenyuk.

EDIT: After talking to Blackhawks friends, Hino is less Danault and more Byron. Super fast.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Chicago really needs an injection of offence. 

Wonder if they would be in on Pacioretty. 

No money to re-sign him with Schmaltz coming up as an RFA next summer.

Looking at the league my targets would be Dallas, New Jersey, both New Yorks, Vegas, and Vancouver for long term deals and Pittsburgh, Nashville,  and Washington for Patches as a rental.

9 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Looking at the league my targets would be Dallas, New Jersey, both New Yorks, Vegas, and Vancouver for long term deals and Pittsburgh, Nashville,  and Washington for Patches as a rental.

I think Skinner and Karlsson are holding up a Pacioretty trade. The team's that lose out on them will then fight it out for Pacioretty.

18 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

I do not see why Devils would trade with the Canadiens, or the Rangers

I would love to get Juolevi and a pick in 2019 for Pacioretty from the Canucks 

7 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Canucks are rebuilding. While Juolevi seems to be a bit of a disappointment and probably could be had for the right return, their organization is weakest at D, and I don't see why they'd invest huge dollars and trade future assets for Pacioretty.

7 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

But why does Vancouver, a team clearly in rebuilding mode, give up a top prospect for Pacioretty?  They could have made runs at some of the top UFA wingers this summer but by all accounts, they didn't even try to sign them.

The Devils, on the other hand, are more in win-now mode and have tried to make several moves already this summer but struck out on all accounts.  If they're going to make a big move now, it has to be a trade and Pacioretty is one of the big names available.

9 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

But why does Vancouver, a team clearly in rebuilding mode, give up a top prospect for Pacioretty?  They could have made runs at some of the top UFA wingers this summer but by all accounts, they didn't even try to sign them.

The Devils, on the other hand, are more in win-now mode and have tried to make several moves already this summer but struck out on all accounts.  If they're going to make a big move now, it has to be a trade and Pacioretty is one of the big names available.

Could Ty Smith be sacrificed ?

7 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Canucks are rebuilding. While Juolevi seems to be a bit of a disappointment and probably could be had for the right return, their organization is weakest at D, and I don't see why they'd invest huge dollars and trade future assets for Pacioretty.

Their UFA signings were for 3rd liners . They need to remain somewhat competitive and a conditional pick in 2019 from the CH if Pacioretty doesn't extends with them may do it

6 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

From eyeballing their depth and lineup, I do not think the Devils would want Pacioretty; they seem to be doing fine upfront without someone like him

5 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

Could Ty Smith be sacrificed ?

I'd lean towards no.  New Jersey doesn't have a great defence both in terms of their current roster as well as their prospect pool.

3 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I'd lean towards no.  New Jersey doesn't have a great defence both in terms of their current roster as well as their prospect pool.

So  they're not a fit for Pacioretty...

5 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

From eyeballing their depth and lineup, I do not think the Devils would want Pacioretty; they seem to be doing fine upfront without someone like him

Their GM admitted they were in on van Riemsdyk and offered more money to Maroon to stay with them.  While I agree their LW depth is pretty good, clearly they feel a need to try to improve it.  (It also helps when they have someone like Marcus Johansson who can play all three forward positions.)

4 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

So  they're not a fit for Pacioretty...

Unless the Habs want centres in return.  Michael McLeod (I know some aren't high on him but he may still have 2C upside), John Quenneville and Jesper Boqvist could be prospects of at least some interest and I could see the Habs having some interest in Pavel Zacha who looks like a prime change-of-scenery candidate.  That's where their organizational strength is so I could see them willing to deal from that.

• dlbalr unpinned this topic