2018 NHL Offseason Thread

Trizzak

9 hours ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

If the Sens could get Vans first and Juolevi I think that’s decent. Maybe another 2nd or 3rd pick or

B prospect.

learn from the Isle, get something.

Van is in a tough division, likely a lottery team!

Sens have to trade him.  He doesn’t want to be there and they have no first either.  Theyvwwee dumb in insisting that Ryan be part of the deal - not sure if that’s still the case - because they really are hurting the potential return for Karlsson and Dorian already screwed up and waited too long, like another idiot GM we know.

if you ask me the best two moves Dorian can do is try and undo his stupidity from last year and try and get his 1st+ prospects and additional picks back from the Avs for Karlsson and try to move Duchane (who I can’t see resigning with them) for Turris who is at least signed long term.

its nice to know we are only the 2nd worst run franchise in the league.  Too bad that MB’s most likely replacement is even worse me than him.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Too bad that MB’s most likely replacement is even worse me than him.

Brisebois? Because it's likely Brisebois. Unless he doesn't want the job. But he will be looking next summer. Especially if Tampa stops Toronto in the second round like I believe they will.

As for Ottawa, I think the bigger difference is that we know Molson has money and the team is in absolutely zero financial strain. They got their ducks in a row. They can pretty much turn a profit without playing a single game just on merchandise and brand value these days. Ottawa has an owner that doesn't want to spend and wants everyone to do the spending for him, but also wants to pull off a contender at the same time. It's crazy. And the scary part is, Ottawa got pretty close to a contender a few times with those constraints due to good drafting.

Dorion needs to be given the green light to blow it up there, which will be easy. Stone, Duchene, and Karlsson, no excuse to get out of that without at *least* three first rounders. Which of course puts more pressure on the Habs. If Ottawa is in a full rebuild, Detroit is already there, Buffalo is trying to get out, Toronto is out, Tampa is a powerhouse, Boston is still strong, and Florida is a wildcard, what's Montreal?

42 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Brisebois? Because it's likely Brisebois. Unless he doesn't want the job. But he will be looking next summer. Especially if Tampa stops Toronto in the second round like I believe they will.

As for Ottawa, I think the bigger difference is that we know Molson has money and the team is in absolutely zero financial strain. They got their ducks in a row. They can pretty much turn a profit without playing a single game just on merchandise and brand value these days. Ottawa has an owner that doesn't want to spend and wants everyone to do the spending for him, but also wants to pull off a contender at the same time. It's crazy. And the scary part is, Ottawa got pretty close to a contender a few times with those constraints due to good drafting.

Dorion needs to be given the green light to blow it up there, which will be easy. Stone, Duchene, and Karlsson, no excuse to get out of that without at *least* three first rounders. Which of course puts more pressure on the Habs. If Ottawa is in a full rebuild, Detroit is already there, Buffalo is trying to get out, Toronto is out, Tampa is a powerhouse, Boston is still strong, and Florida is a wildcard, what's Montreal?

I was referring to Dorian. By the time Molson finally fires MB, he’d probably hire an idiot like Dorian who I think will probably be fired first.

If i was an Ottawa fan, there is no way I’d want an idiot like Dorian who made the Burrows and Duchane trades, along with botching the deal for Hofffman and will probably mess up the inevitable Karlsson trade by trying to move him west with bobby Ryan and reduce what he could get for Karlsson 

not sure why they chose to protect Ryan’s lousy contract in the expansion draft in the first place.

37 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Didn’t realize that, but they should have tried to offer incentives for Vegas to pick Ryan instead of methot.

16 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Didn’t realize that, but they should have tried to offer incentives for Vegas to pick Ryan instead of methot.

The incentives would have had to be high.

If the team goes for the tank there is no need to trade him. He will help the team make floor. But I fully expect a playoff attempt then a big deadline firesale.

• Upvote 1

I can't worry about the Habs hiring Dorion. I agree that it's a realistic scenario, but for heaven's sake, the only realistic hope we have now is the thought that MB will eventually be fired and replaced by someone competent. I don't want to die having seen nothing but incompetence from the Habs over the final decades of my life. Habs29's argument is too pessimistic even for me!

39 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I can't worry about the Habs hiring Dorion. I agree that it's a realistic scenario, but for heaven's sake, the only realistic hope we have now is the thought that MB will eventually be fired and replaced by someone competent. I don't want to die having seen nothing but incompetence from the Habs over the final decades of my life. Habs29's argument is too pessimistic even for me!

Do you think the only reason why Bergevin still has a job is because molson doesn't want to pay him to stay home? 

21 minutes ago, Metallica said:

Do you think the only reason why Bergevin still has a job is because molson doesn't want to pay him to stay home? 

I don't know - but I sure hope so. I could respect that as a cold-blooded business decision. Far more alarming is the thought that he actually believes Bergevin's bullcrap. Because that means our owner is a certified grade-A fool, and this in turn bodes very poorly for the Habs' future as long as he us at the helm.

3 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Considering they were already trying to offer incentives for them not to take Marc Methot, I'm pretty sure they did.  Ryan's situation is not the same as guys like Clarkson or Grabovski - he had five years (at the time) remaining on his contract and as he wasn't injured, it wasn't a case where insurance would pick up 80% of the actual payout.  Vegas got pretty good returns for taking those two on - they'd have been asking for way more (think multiple first rounders and prospects at a minimum) to take Ryan's deal.  (Even now, that's probably close to the going rate if Ottawa really wants to get rid of him...)

2 hours ago, Metallica said:

Who was available this summer? Pretty much nobody. I'm guessing Bergevin has marching orders and very strict monitoring on the moves he can make right now (all the recent staff hirings with exception to Richardson feel like not Bergevin's decision) and come next summer when there should be better candidates (and I figure their target in BriseBois) then they will give him his marching orders.

As for Bergevin, I feel he's heading to Florida the moment he gets canned so we wouldn't pay for him anyhow.

2 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Who was available this summer? Pretty much nobody. I'm guessing Bergevin has marching orders and very strict monitoring on the moves he can make right now (all the recent staff hirings with exception to Richardson feel like not Bergevin's decision) and come next summer when there should be better candidates (and I figure their target in BriseBois) then they will give him his marching orders.

As for Bergevin, I feel he's heading to Florida the moment he gets canned so we wouldn't pay for him anyhow.

I doubt he gets anywhere near the money he is getting in Montreal with the Panthers,  if he dioea end up rejoining Talon.  So I doubt if Molson could avoid not paying for the entire portion of his contract.  I really don’t see how anyone would want to hire him though. He is approaching mike milbury bad.

2 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I doubt he gets anywhere near the money he is getting in Montreal with the Panthers,  if he dioea end up rejoining Talon.  So I doubt if Molson could avoid not paying for the entire portion of his contract.  I really don’t see how anyone would want to hire him though. He is approaching mike milbury bad.

Yes - but Bergy is definitely part of that tight NHL Old Boy network that looks after its own. I'm pretty sure he'll land on his feet, sheltered from the costs of his own incompetence by his huge array of buddies. 

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

As I said before, Molson didn't have to sign Bergevin to a 6 year deal....if Bergevin was having success in Montreal after a 3 year extension expired,  did Molson really think he'd walk?

Bergevin is a Terrible g.m, but Molson is just as much to blame for this shit show 

56 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Dale Tallon needs an AGM with experience in Florida and they go way back. They still hang out at every GM meeting. 

Milbury is possibly the worst of all time but his true crime is not being well liked by other people in hockey ops. That's the real nail in the coffin in this league. You could be the worst that has ever taken a job but if you got friends, you got opportunities. It ain't just the NHL. Isiah Thomas got multiple opportunities at ruining franchises because he was well liked by almost everyone he came in contact with. Almost everyone.

2 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Lots of former GMs get AGM or scouting roles.  Pierre Gauthier has a job.  John Ferguson Jr, a complete laughingstock in his time with Toronto, has had a scouting and Player Personnel job since being let go (and got a small promotion a couple years back).  It's not hard at all to envision a scenario where Bergevin would get another front office spot - teams will often covet some experience when restructuring the hockey ops department and I don't think Bergevin would be outright ostracized.  He'd certainly take a big pay cut wherever he wound up so Molson would be the hook for a big chunk of his contract still but if Bergevin wanted to stay in the game whenever he gets let go, he'd land somewhere, whether it's Florida or somewhere else.

22 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Lots of former GMs get AGM or scouting roles.  Pierre Gauthier has a job. 

Although it's always hard to tell, since we don't know who was responsible for which decision and who argued for approach X or Y, Gauthier seems to be quite a good hockey man. Unfortunately he rose to the level of his incompetence as GM - his main problem being his appalling lack of skill at managing people, which is a distinct skill-set from making hockey decisions or working within a hierarchy. Keep him as a #2 or lower, and I suspect you have a quality asset.

Meanwhile, the Leafs hire Hayley Wickenheiser as skills coach. 

How did it happen that the Leafs became cooler, more forward-thinking, and all-around a more impressive, progressive, and likeable organization than the ossified, sclerotic, dismal and dreary Habs? Gawd.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Meanwhile, the Leafs hire Hayley Wickenheiser as skills coach. 

How did it happen that the Leafs became cooler, more forward-thinking, and all-around a more impressive, progressive, and likeable organization than the ossified, sclerotic, dismal and dreary Habs? Gawd.

Good for the Leafs, about time Charlotte Grahame isn't the only one out in Colorado (she has been VP of hockey administration since 1996 for the Avs.)

5 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Good for the Leafs, about time Charlotte Grahame isn't the only one out in Colorado (she has been VP of hockey administration since 1996 for the Avs.)

Yeah, as you may gather, I'm quite sick of NHL management as a private club for old and endlessly recycled white males. It's both boring and retrograde. But the Habs will probably be the very last organization to move into the 21st century.

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Yeah, as you may gather, I'm quite sick of NHL management as a private club for old and endlessly recycled white males. It's both boring and retrograde. But the Habs will probably be the very last organization to move into the 21st century.

Depends on how big of a shake up we see after Bergevin is finally canned. It took Chicago 50 years and blowing up what could have been a powerhouse 90s team for the son of the worst owner in hockey to finally turn it around and bring a Cup back.

:gohabsgo:

#2k19

On 8/23/2018 at 4:54 PM, Habopotamus said:

As I said before, Molson didn't have to sign Bergevin to a 6 year deal....if Bergevin was having success in Montreal after a 3 year extension expired,  did Molson really think he'd walk?

Bergevin is a Terrible g.m, but Molson is just as much to blame for this shit show 

Agree. The only hope is to replace both Molson and Bergevin...maybe a hostile takeover of the team and then fire them all. 

• dlbalr unpinned this topic