2018 NHL Offseason Thread

Trizzak

1 hour ago, Habopotamus said:

Drouin plays an East to West game, while Pacioretty plays a North to South game.

I think that's part of the reason those two never found chemistry. A lot of the time when Drouin enters the zone, he'll stop and try to set the play up. 

Sounds like Desharnais to me. It shouldn’t be hard for Drouin and Pacioretty to you know, talk to each other out there if it were the case. 

10 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Sounds like Desharnais to me. It shouldn’t be hard for Drouin and Pacioretty to you know, talk to each other out there if it were the case. 

Sometimes it just doesn't work.... 

Maybe part of it is Drouin never really felt comfortable down the middle. 

1 hour ago, DON said:

https://nhlseattle.com/news-ownership.html

And team #32 will be the Seattle...Sasquatches! :P 

:thumbs_up: That's actually a pretty good name :lol: (For the record, 'Seattle Sockeye' is my candidate, but I'm sure it'll be something dreary, like the Seattle Oak View or some such corporate BS

I'm all for Seattle in the NHL, it'll drive the Canucks fans crazy when that team wins before their does

I think they should be called the Seattle Sonics 

16 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Kraken or bust for me. People have already designed awesome logos.

Team Kraken as well.

But I wouldn't mind  Seattle Emeralds (even if I have a hard time picturing the logo and jersey)

Emeralds isn't bad at all. It's definitely different. I can see a logo involving an emerald puck. I like that one a lot.

Metropolitans is nice for sentimental and historical reasons (which in today's soulless sports world seldom count), but it's a bland name on its own terms, and would be a weird fit given that the league has a division of the same name. Anyhow, it's not on the list http://news.sportslogos.net/2018/01/19/kraken-whales-among-13-names-registered-by-seattle-nhl-group/

I don't know what a 'Rainier' is, but the Seattle Rain would be sort of a cool, off-the-beam title. 

Kraken does seem to have the inside track, which is too bad because it does little for me. Sockeyes works because of the pun on hockey fights, Emerald because it's positive, different, and so keyed to civic identity. Kraken is nautical, yes, but ultimately too generic for my taste.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, huzer said:

Mt Rainier. Maybe we could trade man mountain to Seattle.

Yeah, I get that reference...but it just seems weird to me to name a team that way. It'd be like calling the Habs the Montreal St Lawrences. (By contrast, my eccentric proposal of 'Seattle Rain' makes perfect sense and lends itself to puns, like 'Seattle rains shots down on Carey Price,' or 'Seattle raining death upon opponents...' etc.). Anyhow, 'Emeralds' or 'Sockeyes' remain tops on my private list, but it'll be the Kraken.

15 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Scratch Julien BriseBois off the potential GM list.  He's the new GM in Tampa Bay with Steve Yzerman stepping down. 

Interesting...Can Yzerman speak French?:P

Yzerman's family lives in Detroit still.  He got tired of commuting back and forth from family to Tampa. 

Holland only signed a two-year extension.

Yzerman only has one year left on his deal. 

I expect Yzerman takes the Detroit job in the summer, and Holland becomes an advisor for the final year of his deal (unless he asks to leave ala Lou in Toronto).

56 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Yzerman's family lives in Detroit still.  He got tired of commuting back and forth from family to Tampa. 

Holland only signed a two-year extension.

Yzerman only has one year left on his deal. 

I expect Yzerman takes the Detroit job in the summer, and Holland becomes an advisor for the final year of his deal (unless he asks to leave ala Lou in Toronto).

Very sound reasoning...I suspect that you are correct.

• dlbalr unpinned this topic