2018 NHL Offseason Thread

Trizzak

14 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

And the Cup.

Absolute robbery.

I like the return better than what we got for Subban

• Upvote 2

MB and Dorion are doing all they can to make the west stronger - while sinking into a deeper abyss themselves.

MB: sends Pacs to the knights, Galchenyuk to the desert dogs, Subban to the preds, while Dorion in one trade made the Avs and Preds  stronger last year, allowed the sharks to get an extra/better pick in the Hoffman deal and than makes another deal to make the sharks defence arguably better, or as good as the preds.

It's almost like Melnyk is trying to lose his fan base ahead of moving the franchise. Soon he'll have no resistance or backlash when the time eventually comes. The league should step in and do something about this. The Sharks are a scary team. Martin Jones might be their only weakness.. and that's a pretty strong weakness.

19 minutes ago, nihilz said:

It's almost like Melnyk is trying to lose his fan base ahead of moving the franchise. Soon he'll have no resistance or backlash when the time eventually comes. The league should step in and do something about this. 

I would contract the team and award Ottawa an expansion team so long as they find a new owner. Do a draft for their players and start fresh. 

9 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

I would contract the team and award Ottawa an expansion team so long as they find a new owner. Do a draft for their players and start fresh. 

Good idea. This situation eerily reminds me of the post lockout Expos. 

18 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Or move them to Quebec. I’d rather see the next nordiques start out with this sorry bunch than a Vegas type expansion team.

With the whole Montreal - thou shall have a French GM and coach rule, it’s ironic because that the two worst GM’s are French.  Maybe a reason to rethink this rule?

• Upvote 1

On another note, how and why the hell didn’t Edmonton offer more???   Sure Karlsson may not like Edmonton and you lose him for nothing, but hell, if I’m Chiarelli I’d gamble on Karlsson falling in love with playing with McDavid, more than hating the Edmonton weather.

11 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

On another note, how and why the hell didn’t Edmonton offer more???   Sure Karlsson may not like Edmonton and you lose him for nothing, but hell, if I’m Chiarelli I’d gamble on Karlsson falling in love with playing with McDavid, more than hating the Edmonton weather.

He had a 10 team no trade list. Edmonton might have been on it. They certainly were not one of the favourites like Dallas and Tampa.

39 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

:money::money::money:

Edmonton has $3.9 million in cap room with Darnell Nurse still to re-sign.  He'll eat up most of that leaving them with a few hundred thousand in room.  Karlsson makes $6.5 million.  It's actually quite easy to see why Edmonton wouldn't have been involved here; there's no way they could afford it.  San Jose had several million in space which is why they could get away without quite matching salaries going the other way.  Edmonton would have had to match money which would have meant including someone like Nugent-Hopkins in the deal which wouldn't have made much sense for either side.

10 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

:money::money::money:

Edmonton has $3.9 million in cap room with Darnell Nurse still to re-sign.  He'll eat up most of that leaving them with a few hundred thousand in room.  Karlsson makes $6.5 million.  It's actually quite easy to see why Edmonton wouldn't have been involved here; there's no way they could afford it.  San Jose had several million in space which is why they could get away without quite matching salaries going the other way.  Edmonton would have had to match money which would have meant including someone like Nugent-Hopkins in the deal which wouldn't have made much sense for either side.

If you’re the oilers and if you’re not in his no trade list, you make the deal and have until the start of the season to get under the cap.  Move nugent Hopkins - doesn’t have to be to the Sens- though they could also use him.  I like klefboms contract, but move him if need be.  Offer a team with room (Montreal?) high picks and prospects to take on some of the idiot deals he signed like that orangutan Lucic.  

Karlsson would have filled their biggest needs. This is like MB doing squat to fill the hole at centre.

14 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

If you’re the oilers and if you’re not in his no trade list, you make the deal and have until the start of the season to get under the cap.  Move nugent Hopkins - doesn’t have to be to the Sens- though they could also use him.  I like klefboms contract, but move him if need be.  Offer a team with room (Montreal?) high picks and prospects to take on some of the idiot deals he signed like that orangutan Lucic.  

Karlsson would have filled their biggest needs. This is like MB doing squat to fill the hole at centre.

I don't disagree that Karlsson would have filled a huge need but what you're proposing is a lot easier said than done.  Edmonton isn't swimming in young assets to deal which is what Ottawa would have coveted.  They'd want to add Karlsson to their existing core which means Nugent-Hopkins and Klefbom realistically would probably be off the table to move even though that would have made the money factor a bit easier.  That would leave enticing a taker for Lucic.

The problem is, what would they be offering?  San Jose dealt one guaranteed first and encumbered two more with the conditions, all by 2022.  Let's assume Edmonton would have had to do the same.  Unloading Lucic's contract without taking any money back would cost multiple firsts.  Because they've dealt/encumbered 2019, 2021, and either 2020/2022 for Karlsson, that means the best picks that the Oilers could offer is the remaining 2020/2022 one and 2023.  If I'm a team like the Habs, I'm not waiting five years to get a draft pick that might be three or more years away from actually playing.  I don't think there's a team out there that would.  Maybe sub in Yamamoto for one of the picks but even then, if you're Edmonton, that's as many as five potential firsts (plus whatever prospects/players they'd have lost for Karlsson as well) for a rental.  That doesn't seem like a strong move to make for them, no matter how much Karlsson would have helped.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Or move them to Quebec. I’d rather see the next nordiques start out with this sorry bunch than a Vegas type expansion team.

Very, very good observation, my friend. My preference would be to have no Quebec team at all, but a Bettman-style stacked expansion Nordiques club winning the Cup within a few years is like something from Stephen King's fever dreams - an absolute unspeakable nightmare.

On 9/13/2018 at 7:29 PM, hab29RETIRED said:

They tried, Karlsson said no.

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Dutch Gretzky's NHL career appears to be winding down. 

I was honestly surprised he wasn't bought out this summer.  He has been a bust ever since he left the Habs.

There are a couple of other former Habs on waivers today too in Daniel Carr and Joel Hanley.

3 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I was honestly surprised he wasn't bought out this summer.  He has been a bust ever since he left the Habs.

There are a couple of other former Habs on waivers today too in Daniel Carr and Joel Hanley.

Columbus should pick him up, play him for 10 games with Torts, then deal him elsewhere and whomever gets him will get an energized and rejuvenated Weise.

• dlbalr unpinned this topic