2018 NHL Offseason Thread

Trizzak

3 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Columbus should pick him up, play him for 10 games with Torts, then deal him elsewhere and whomever gets him will get an energized and rejuvenated Weise.

:lol:

Sam Gagner is also on waivers. He's a C. Any interest - ?

48 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Gagner has been exclusively a wing for a couple seasons now.

I would flip Shaw for him. About it.

You can have him for free. He's on waivers.

I'm not sure he's much of an upgrade, though - and definitely not one if he's no longer a C.

9 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

You can have him for free. He's on waivers.

I'm not sure he's much of an upgrade, though - and definitely not one if he's no longer a C.

Yeah I wouldn't want him for free though. He makes $3M. Which is why I would flip him for Shaw. Gagner has the shorter deal.

25 minutes ago, DON said:

A whole lot of resentment and player-blaming in that interview. He basically seems to resent a whole list of his players, past and present.

He says he's not arrogant, but rather that he's 'sensitive.' :rolleyes: It's like the players hurt his feelings. The end result is the same - making dumb decisions based on personal reactions and Marky Marc's precious ego rather than cold-eyed analysis.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

A whole lot of resentment and player-blaming in that interview. He basically seems to resent a whole list of his players, past and present.

He says he's not arrogant, but rather that he's 'sensitive.' :rolleyes: It's like the players hurt his feelings. The end result is the same - making dumb decisions based on personal reactions and Marky Marc's precious ego rather than cold-eyed analysis.

Good god he's worse than I thought.

Also Maria Thayer in that Nick Lowe video is on a show called Those Who Can't and it is really good if people want a solid comedy about high school teachers without a laugh track. That and Wrecked are the best shows on TV nobody talks about.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Habopotamus said:

Gagner could potentially put up 50 points. I'd take him over Plekanec in a heart beat. 

And your team will get eaten alive when he is on the ice defensively. 

If Plekanec is going to be a 3rd/4th line centre with the PK and linematching responsibility, he's much better than Gagner at that role. 

9 minutes ago, Commandant said:

And your team will get eaten alive when he is on the ice defensively. 

If Plekanec is going to be a 3rd/4th line centre with the PK and linematching responsibility, he's much better than Gagner at that role. 

I guess the question is: if, as may well happen, if Kotkaniemi fades as the season progresses, is Gagner a better option for his spot than the remaining C on the roster? Certainly he is of no use to us at W.

Jan Kovar was a player I was wondering if the Habs might take a shot on over the summer.  Despite a down year in the KHL, he still looked to have a bit of upside.  Instead, he was cut by the Islanders today.  Ouch.

10 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I guess the question is: if, as may well happen, if Kotkaniemi fades as the season progresses, is Gagner a better option for his spot than the remaining C on the roster? Certainly he is of no use to us at W.

If Kotkaniemi goes back to Finland, then one of Domi/Drouin play top 6 centre.  You can talk about converting wings to centres and thats a valid point, but that is what you are asking of Gagner too, a guy who failed at C and is now a winger and not a particularly good one.  He's not a fit with this team imo. 

54 minutes ago, Commandant said:

If Kotkaniemi goes back to Finland, then one of Domi/Drouin play top 6 centre.  You can talk about converting wings to centres and thats a valid point, but that is what you are asking of Gagner too, a guy who failed at C and is now a winger and not a particularly good one.  He's not a fit with this team imo. 

I don't really care , but Gagner's shooting percentage was almost cut in half last season, compared to his career average and his corsi was down too. 

Vancouver being a shit team played a part in Gagner having a down year, compared to the previous season. 

Van needs another top 6 player, so I doubt they want Shaw, but i would do that trade in a heart beat 

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

No. He's done in the league as a centre and has been for years. The question is more if he can survive as a wing. And on a different team and a better shooting percentage probably. 

My suggestion of Shaw is we got a guy who is basically damaged goods with four more seasons at $3.9M. He's a constant liability. If he isn't injured he's getting into penalty trouble or taking up space on the powerplay of a more skilled player (Julien has been working him on the PP2 in practice while he heals) and again he's under contract for FOUR MORE SEASONS so if we could flip him for a dump like Sam Gagner, who is only two years at $3.1M and an actually good PP player and a right handed shot, we can pump his tires up to a contending team, trade him at the deadline for a strong draft pick while taking some salary back and have a lot more cap clear in the future.

I would much rather run

PP1: Tatar - Danault - Gallagher

PP2: Domi - Drouin  - Gagner

Than what we will soon see, which is Shaw once again on the PP: the only place he can justify his contract by even a little bit.

52 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

So Toronto can't call him up?

No, he is vancouver property.  Only the Canucks could call him up (unless they trade him first).

Same with Matt Moulson who is buffalo's property but playing for Los Angeles' AHL affiliate.

• dlbalr unpinned this topic