2018 NHL Offseason Thread

Trizzak

6 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Wow our standards are low right now.

"We didn't make any stupid trades or signings. A!"

Think about previous off seasons where he signs garbage to patch holes and makes really bad trades.

Not doing anything stupid for a change is a welcome upgrade

37 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Lmao... so true

I know right? Here were are arguing that a competent draft plus not making stupid UFA signings, after making a pretty crappy major trade, equals progress. Sam Pollock isn't just spinning in his grave...he's practically break-dancing in it.

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Think about previous off seasons where he signs garbage to patch holes and makes really bad trades.

Not doing anything stupid for a change is a welcome upgrade

Time will tell if the Domi/Galchenyuk trade was stupid. I've already been pretty clear how I feel about that.

But everything else he has done almost feels like the owner slapping his hand and telling him what he can and can't do. That's how I see it, maybe it's all Bergevin. Just everything is uncharacteristic of him aside from a fancy slogan for the team: ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING. That costs little compared to say signing Roman Polak which I'm sure he really really wanted to.

But to be congratulated for not being stupid is... well, that's really low. Reminds me of that Chris Rock sketch. "I'm not in jail and don't hit my wife." "WHAT DO YOU WANT A COOKIE?'

Historically under Bergevin, barring Alzner apparently, the Habs haven't really made any UFA blunders. The flyers they took on aging reclamation projects, while maddening, were all 1 year deals that took care of themselves. I'll at least give Bergevin that. So if we're looking for something to give him good grades for improvement, UFA restraint isn't it.

8 minutes ago, huzer said:

Historically under Bergevin, barring Alzner apparently, the Habs haven't really made any UFA blunders. The flyers they took on aging reclamation projects, while maddening, were all 1 year deals that took care of themselves. I'll at least give Bergevin that. So if we're looking for something to give him good grades for improvement, UFA restraint isn't it.

Briere was dumb. They turned him into PAP who they ended up buying out. Never should have signed him.

9 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Briere was dumb. They turned him into PAP who they ended up buying out. Never should have signed him.

Not going to disagree, I'm just stating that of his flaws, I'm not going to count UFA as a major issue. At least that was back in 2013, so I'll give him that one.

3 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

Friedman: "I had a general manager say to me yesterday... 'I will bet you my house that the Islanders are going to offer-sheet someone in Toronto.'" #Isles #Leafs #TMLtalk

Leafs have 12 million in space, before putting Nathan Horton on LTIR.

Good luck with that

10 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Leafs have 12 million in space, before putting Nathan Horton on LTIR.

Good luck with that

They don't necessarily have to offer sheet for the purpose of actually trying to get the player (also known as Willie Nylander as they don't have much in the way of other RFAs).  If Lamoriello wanted, he could simply try to force Toronto to give Nylander a long-term deal which will force them to move a prominent player out next year (and exacting a small amount of revenge in the process).

Edit: Upon further inspection, they don't have their own 2nd/3rd round picks.  That really limits what they can do for an offer sheet.  (No compensation sheets or 4 x 1st rounders are their options.)

12 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Summer 2019.

If Matthews and Marner don't get an offer sheet from half the league it'll expose collusion unlike ever before.

13 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Summer 2019.

If Matthews and Marner don't get an offer sheet from half the league it'll expose collusion unlike ever before.

I also don't think its collusion, the leafs are the richest team in the league

Summer 2019

- liljegren on an ELC replaces Hainsey

- Marleau goes to Robidas island

Cap space is not an issue for the Leafs

The question is can they convert Nylander's 6-7 million per season into a defenceman at the same value and level of play

9 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Wow our standards are low right now.

"We didn't make any stupid trades or signings. A!"

Just a few weeks ago I thought Montreal was in a position to really improve and be a bigger contender than most here thought possible. 

Now, I'd have to say they had one of THE WORST off-seasons for any team in the NHL..

A team truly lacking a #1 guy sees one on the market only to go to a division rival. 

Then, plan 1B falls apart because of a steep asking price. 

Toronto and Tampa are the class of the division. Boston not too far behind. Buffalo has added a highly regarded D prospect and have their young guns coming. Detroit saw Zadina slide to them. Florida seems to be one or two players away from being a true contender. Heck, if not for Ottawa it'd be easy to say Montreal has a 100% shot at finishing last in the division. I still like their chances.

So MB didn't make any really terrible moves or signings.. but Montreal is worse off than they were at the end of the season.

We still have ZERO top 6 Centres, meaning our best winger will be playing and likely struggling there again.

We still have a massive hole on the left side beside Weber.

I'm guessing there will be a Pacs trade soon, but it also wouldn't surprise me if he stays for half the season and is traded as a rental at the deadline.

I guess we can look forward to the next lottery, hope the balls fall in our favour.  

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

They don't necessarily have to offer sheet for the purpose of actually trying to get the player (also known as Willie Nylander as they don't have much in the way of other RFAs).  If Lamoriello wanted, he could simply try to force Toronto to give Nylander a long-term deal which will force them to move a prominent player out next year (and exacting a small amount of revenge in the process).

Edit: Upon further inspection, they don't have their own 2nd/3rd round picks.  That really limits what they can do for an offer sheet.  (No compensation sheets or 4 x 1st rounders are their options.)

"Hi Kenny, how's Detroit? Anyways, I need you to trade me back the NYI 2nd rounder for Calgary's 2nd rounder."

"That will be a worse pick, Lou. Why would I do that?"

"I'm going to #### up Toronto's cap for the next 7 years."

"...let me throw in a 5th round pick as well."

"Hello Peter, it's Lou. Need you to trade me back the NYI 3rd round pick for Steve Bernier."

"Why would I do that?"

"Because you're a terrible GM."

"Fair enough. Can you also send me some glue? I'm a bit hungry."

Let the offer sheets commence. 

19 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Sh**t, there goes De Haan:

image.png

I am out of ideas for revamping the CH's D... :spamafote:

About 3 years of pain will revamp the D quite nicely. 

6 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

About 3 years of pain will revamp the D quite nicely. 

It has only been 25 years of pain... how much worse can it get :wacko:

I guess Bergevin didn't want to sign De Hann  because of the term he wanted.... WTF did he want a 27 year old top 4 d-man to sign for ???

4 years at 4.55 is a solid, solid contract for De Hann. 

This is not the right G.M to be trying to rebuild a team that he's already destroyed once.

26 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

This is not the right G.M to be trying to rebuild a team that he's already destroyed once.

That says it all. Too much optimism is unwarranted. 

I'm fine with not signing de Haan, he is ok but nothing special.

He's an upgrade on what we have but doesn't solve our problems and it might not be the right move for a rebuilding club

However I do agree that Bergevin is not the man for the job

5 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I'm fine with not signing de Haan, he is ok but nothing special.

He's an upgrade on what we have but doesn't solve our problems and it might not be the right move for a rebuilding club

However I do agree that Bergevin is not the man for the job

What irks me is that many fans and much of the media are already swallowing the Kool Aid. So much for accountability.

• dlbalr unpinned this topic