2018 NHL Offseason Thread

Trizzak

2 hours ago, Habopotamus said:

I see JJ got a job as assistant coach with the San Antonio Rampage 

Because only the Habs were stupid enough to give him an NHL job. #bergysbumbuddies

4 hours ago, Link67 said:

Hudon, Armia, and Petry?

I wonder how Armia and Domi will do.

I kinda think Domi will surprise some and do quite well, while Armia will get 10-15 goals. 

Petry will be Petry, with good offense, some nice rushes and maybe 50% of time good in own end. He gets deaked out of his jockstrap one-on-one at least once a game.

Will Hudon improve and maybe get 15g-20a, given his likely limited offensive chances?

I think Domi will be fine. A fiesty playmaking 50-point W. I mean, if he's not fine, then the trade is an absolute disaster; even if he is, it's still unlikely to be a great trade, but I refuse to be so pessimistic as to believe we threw away Galy for damaged goods.

The team had zero top-6 C last year, so there is no regression there. We had just about the worst C configuration in all of hockey last year, and, true to form, MB has not addressed this.

You know where hope for better offence comes from? Mete and Juulsen. If Mete can take a significant step forward, that will help a lot. Of course this is a big 'if;' sophomores often struggle. Juulsen is not an offensive d-man, but his profile suggests a guy who can at least move the puck up ice efficiently. That could help our FWs. Offence starts with the D.

At FW, I see Lehkonen as more likely to take a big jump than Hudon. I know the Habs are big on Hudon, and I like the kid, but I'm not sure what he'll amount to. Look to Lehkonen for some solid contributions in his third NHL season. 

On 8/31/2018 at 11:53 AM, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I think Domi will be fine. A fiesty playmaking 50-point W. I mean, if he's not fine, then the trade is an absolute disaster; even if he is, it's still unlikely to be a great trade, but I refuse to be so pessimistic as to believe we threw away Galy for damaged goods.

Nine Coyotes scored more goals than Domi last season. 

If he scores 10+ that will be a very good sign. 

1 hour ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Nine Coyotes scored more goals than Domi last season. 

If he scores 10+ that will be a very good sign. 

Fair enough, but I don't think goals scored is necessarily the right measuring stick for a playmaker.

50 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Fair enough, but I don't think goals scored is necessarily the right measuring stick for a playmaker.

I don’t mind picking up Domi - as much as I hated his dad. I just absolutely HATE giving up Galchenyuk for him.  Domi for Shaw would have been great a trade.  Domi for Galchenyuk is utter stupidity.

28 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I don’t mind picking up Domi - as much as I hated his dad. I just absolutely HATE giving up Galchenyuk for him.  Domi for Shaw would have been great a trade.  Domi for Galchenyuk is utter stupidity

I think the plan is to hope Domi can setup Drouin and Gallagher more than Byron, Lehkonen (or Galchenyuk) would

Edited by alfredoh2009

51 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I think the plan is to hope Domi can setup Drouin and Gallagher more than Byron, Lehkonen (or Galchenyuk) would

Drouin shouldn't be the one being set up, he should be the one making the passes. 

Drouin is never going to be a goal scorer. 

I would hope his assist totals rise this season though. 

2 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I don’t mind picking up Domi - as much as I hated his dad. I just absolutely HATE giving up Galchenyuk for him.  Domi for Shaw would have been great a trade.  Domi for Galchenyuk is utter stupidity.

If you think Domi for Galchenyuk was utterly stupid, what would you have called Arizona's GM had they dealt Domi for Shaw, a move that would have made no sense whatsoever for them?  At least Domi and Galchenyuk is a swap of top-six forwards; Shaw is an overpaid and injury prone grinder.  

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

If you think Domi for Galchenyuk was utterly stupid, what would you have called Arizona's GM had they dealt Domi for Shaw, a move that would have made no sense whatsoever for them?  At least Domi and Galchenyuk is a swap of top-six forwards; Shaw is an overpaid and injury prone grinder.  

Yet he was valued more by our brilliant GM and coach than Galchenyuk, who Julien had on the 4th line in the playoffs on a team that couldn’t score.

Why do we always have to be the ones making the dumb trades.  Would be nice to clearly win some trades as well. The only two trades that I think MB win were the VAnek and Cole for Ryder deals.  It’s pretty much been downhill since.

18 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Yet he was valued more by our brilliant GM and coach than Galchenyuk, who Julien had on the 4th line in the playoffs on a team that couldn’t score.

Why do we always have to be the ones making the dumb trades.  Would be nice to clearly win some trades as well. The only two trades that I think MB win were the VAnek and Cole for Ryder deals.  It’s pretty much been downhill since.

The Danault trade was a fine move, but I hear you. When it comes to major trades involving big-name players, the Habs' track record is abysmal. And it's not just Bergevin's stupidity; it goes all the way back to Houle.

Roy

Turgeon

Ribeiro

Macdonagh

Cammy

Subban

are a few that come to mind. Drouin is a nice player, but I really have a hard time believing that Sergachev was not a significant and painful overpay, and as for Galy-Drouin: if Galy plays C and does well, that is instantly one of the dumbest deals on the list. 

Contrast this with Serge Savard, who had the LeClair and Chelios abominations but ALSO had huge wins like the Muller, Damphousse, and Courtnall deals. The Habs have not had a really major and impactful 'win' at the trade table in 25 years.

17 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

13: Cole for Ryder and a 3rd, Desjardins for Tokarski

14: Kristo for Thomas, Diaz for Weise, Collberg/2nd for Vanek/5th

15: Moen for Gonchar, Nevins/7th for Mitchell, 2nd/5th for Petry

16: Weise/Flash for Danault/2nd

17: Eller for x2 2nd rounders

18: Beaulieu for 3rd, Redmond for Deslauriers, Plekanec for 2nd

19: Bourque for Armia, 4th, and 7th

That's his good trades.

29 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

13: Cole for Ryder and a 3rd, Desjardins for Tokarski

14: Kristo for Thomas, Diaz for Weise, Collberg/2nd for Vanek/5th

15: Moen for Gonchar, Nevins/7th for Mitchell, 2nd/5th for Petry

16: Weise/Flash for Danault/2nd

17: Eller for x2 2nd rounders

18: Beaulieu for 3rd, Redmond for Deslauriers, Plekanec for 2nd

19: Bourque for Armia, 4th, and 7th

That's his good trades.

Lots of singles...meanwhile, other teams are hitting home runs off him.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Lots of singles...meanwhile, other teams are hitting home runs off him.

He had a lot of outs too DSP for Matteau and getting PAP for Briere only to have to buy out PAP and watch him score 20 goals in Toronto. The Benn deal was another out which people thought was a win. He's a big part of why Bergevin thought the defence was improved from the year prior.

Yet he was valued more by our brilliant GM and coach than Galchenyuk,

who Julien had on the 4th line in the playoffs on a team that couldn’t score.

Shaw? What are you smoking?

Exactly how many games did poor hard done-by Galchenyuk even play 4th line? 5?

But,guess you just gotta whine about something I suppose.

First, that didn't come close to answering the question.

Second, Shaw is coming off a concussion and a subsequent knee issue that will keep him out of the lineup into the season.  Perhaps that's why he's still on the team?

The fact that he wasn't dealt for Domi (in a trade that would have made no sense for Arizona at all) doesn't mean that Bergevin valued him over Galchenyuk at all.  Teams aren't lining up to acquire a concussion-prone bottom-six forward.  That doesn't automatically mean Bergevin is valuing him over more talented players.  (That does mean he's on an overpaid contract, something I think everyone was pretty much in agreement on the moment it was signed.)

• Upvote 2

Habs29 often makes up these deals in his own mind that he would have made and then criticizes management for not making them.  It doesnt matter if they were possible or not.

I dont get it cause there is enough to criticize about bergevin's track record without making hypotheticals.

15 hours ago, Commandant said:

Drouin shouldn't be the one being set up, he should be the one making the passes. 

Drouin is never going to be a goal scorer. 

I would hope his assist totals rise this season though. 

I've read that Domi is looking forward to playing with Drouin.

Also, I hoped Domi would be an upgrade on LW to Byron who played well with Drouin.

If I read correctly, Domi is a playmaking winger, so from there I supposed we would be doing some of the dirty work on the board and setting up Drouin.

I expect Gallagher to be on their line. But he is more of a garbage goal scorer; which makes Drouin more of a triggerman 

but just speculating on al of this 

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I've read that Domi is looking forward to playing with Drouin.

Also, I hoped Domi would be an upgrade on LW to Byron who played well with Drouin.

If I read correctly, Domi is a playmaking winger, so from there I supposed we would be doing some of the dirty work on the board and setting up Drouin.

I expect Gallagher to be on their line. But he is more of a garbage goal scorer; which makes Drouin more of a triggerman 

but just speculating on al of this 

It's never easy to anticipate in advance what chemistry will exist between players. People talk about Patches needing a playmaker, but in fact Pacioretty is not a pure sniper, like Brett Hull lurking in the weeds; he gets a lot of chances off the rush using speed to the outside (or used to, until last year). He may turn out to be a guy who needs to carry the puck from the blueline in.

What does seem clear is that a guy like Drouin, who is basicallly skilled but 'soft,' needs a mucker who can do the dirty work - much as Pacioretty also does. Domi may be able to play that role; we'll see.

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It's never easy to anticipate in advance what chemistry will exist between players. People talk about Patches needing a playmaker, but in fact Pacioretty is not a pure sniper, like Brett Hull lurking in the weeds; he gets a lot of chances off the rush using speed to the outside (or used to, until last year). He may turn out to be a guy who needs to carry the puck from the blueline in.

What does seem clear is that a guy like Drouin, who is basicallly skilled but 'soft,' needs a mucker who can do the dirty work - much as Pacioretty also does. Domi may be able to play that role; we'll see.

Drouin plays an East to West game, while Pacioretty plays a North to South game.

I think that's part of the reason those two never found chemistry. A lot of the time when Drouin enters the zone, he'll stop and try to set the play up. 

• dlbalr unpinned this topic