2018 NHL Offseason Thread

Trizzak

11 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Spare me the celebration of a first round exit at the hands of a non-contending team. :rolleyes: I have as little time for the RAH RAH FOR MEDIOCRITY crowd as I do for those 82-0 folks. In fact, at least the latter group have high standards. So i'll give them the edge.

You didn't enjoy that season? Watching 2.5 hours of a winning hockey team 82 times? You weren't excited for the playoffs to begin? You didn't think Montreal had a chance to beat the Rangers? If that's true than it must be a sad existence in Cucumber world. Everyone is a genius after things happen. 

1 hour ago, illWill said:

You didn't enjoy that season? Watching 2.5 hours of a winning hockey team 82 times? You weren't excited for the playoffs to begin? You didn't think Montreal had a chance to beat the Rangers? If that's true than it must be a sad existence in Cucumber world. Everyone is a genius after things happen. 

For sure we had a chance to beat the Rangers. Just like most first-round losers "have a chance." But we didn't beat them, did we? I prefer to focus on the result rather than some theoretical possibility that might have happened, if, y'know, the players had been just a little bit better.

My attitude to the 2017 season was that MB had (like the dumbass he is) traded away our best player for a significantly older and not-quite-as-good player on the grounds that this mystical LEADERSHIP would somehow make the difference in the crunch. The team subsequently crapping out in the first round, doing worse than 2015 while manifesting exactly the same problems it had manifest two years ago - despite having added Radulov! - any last lingering faith in  Bergevin's acumen was gone as far as I was concerned. The proof's in the pudding, and that pudding is basically dogsh*t.

How many years of this futility is enough? This was Year Six of Bergevin the Unready. When is enough? 10 years? 12? 15? When do we stop holding Bergevin's wang and instead start demanding that he put together a team that can actually seriously compete for a Stanley Cup?

That's my problem with the RAH RAH crowd. They're classic Ballard Leafs fans, happily hooting along as the franchise burbles along being putrid. And turds like Bergevin and Molson laugh all the way to the bank.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

For sure we had a chance to beat the Rangers. Just like most first-round losers "have a chance." But we didn't beat them, did we? I prefer to focus on the result rather than some theoretical possibility that might have happened, if, y'know, the players had been just a little bit better.

My attitude to the 2017 season was that MB had (like the dumbass he is) traded away our best player for a significantly older and not-quite-as-good player on the grounds that this mystical LEADERSHIP would somehow make the difference in the crunch. The team subsequently crapping out in the first round, doing worse than 2015 while manifesting exactly the same problems it had manifest two years ago - despite having added Radulov! - any last lingering faith in  Bergevin's acumen was gone as far as I was concerned. The proof's in the pudding, and that pudding is basically dogsh*t.

How many years of this futility is enough? This was Year Six of Bergevin the Unready. When is enough? 10 years? 12? 15? When do we stop holding Bergevin's wang and instead start demanding that he put together a team that can actually seriously compete for a Stanley Cup?

That's my problem with the RAH RAH crowd. They're classic Ballard Leafs fans, happily hooting along as the franchise burbles along being putrid. And turds like Bergevin and Molson laugh all the way to the bank.

So smart after the fact. If only the mean man didn't trade your favorite player would this team be a "real contender". 

I'd rather be happy cheering my team on than be a cynical cry baby

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, illWill said:

So smart after the fact. If only the mean man didn't trade your favorite player would this team be a "real contender". 

I'd rather be happy cheering my team on than be a cynical cry baby

Nothing to do with being smart after the fact. I called that trade at best pointless and at worst stupid from the moment it was made.

I notice that you ignored my question. How much futility is enough for you to stop waving pom-poms for Bergevin? Obviously two missed playoffs and one first-round exit from a team six years into his 'rebuild' isn't enough. Maybe year SEVEN of the rebuild will be great!!! No? Then year eight will be The Year! Or maybe lucky number nine! Or number 15!  Hurrah!

I hope to work for you someday, Will. Basically I can keep screwing up ad nauseum and drive the business into the ground, and you'll still be giving me great evaluations and handing me fat bonuses.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Nothing to do with being smart after the fact. I called that trade at best pointless and at worst stupid from the moment it was made.

I notice that you ignored my question. How much futility is enough for you to stop waving pom-poms for Bergevin? Obviously two missed playoffs and one first-round exit from a team six years into his 'rebuild' isn't enough. Maybe year SEVEN of the rebuild will be great!!! No? Then year eight will be The Year! Or maybe lucky number nine! Or number 15!  Hurrah!

I hope to work for you someday, Will. Basically I can keep screwing up ad nauseum and drive the business into the ground, and you'll still be giving me great evaluations and handing me fat bonuses.

I thought you were smart after the fact for the first round exit after winning the division, not the Subban trade that haunts your dreams. 

How much futility? I'd say if this year they don't make the playoffs I will call for a change. How about you? How much success and winning divisions and playoff rounds will it take for you to take off your hater blinders? 

And I'd only hire you if you bring Habs29 with you, as you guys are either a package deal or the same person under different accounts. 

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, illWill said:

I thought you were smart after the fact for the first round exit after winning the division, not the Subban trade that haunts your dreams. 

How much futility? I'd say if this year they don't make the playoffs I will call for a change. How about you? How much success and winning divisions and playoff rounds will it take for you to take off your hater blinders? 

And I'd only hire you if you bring Habs29 with you, as you guys are either a package deal or the same person under different accounts. 

:blink:

• Upvote 1

:lol:

13 minutes ago, JGC21 said:

Gosh, I long for the days when we can stop referencing the Subban-Weber trade in every other post.

Make

It

Stop.

Good luck with that 

habs29 would be way more fun to work with than I am. The cursing alone would be worth the salary.

Assuming the boldfaced part was not a rhetorical question, what I want is for the Montreal Canadiens to be serious, heavy-duty Cup contenders. Since I see absolutely zero evidence that Bergevin has the faintest clue about how to do that - in fact he has moved us further and further away from that goal - I'm anti-Bergevin. As a Ballard Leafs fan, you, of course, are ecstatic if the club makes the playoffs more often that it doesn't. Fair enough. I see the GM's job as building a contender. And to my mind the evidence shows MB is  not up to the job.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

I think Alzner is straight up awful. I rarely see him make a good play, his passes are bad, his acceleration is shot, he was constantly screening Price, and constantly bailed out. Alzner and Benn are some of the worst defencemen I've seen in Habs uniforms.

Schlemko got a lot of hype and he met none of it. Turned out we traded for a cap dump.

I still think he is a very good bottom pairing D, that is overpaid. Just like Emelin was

He is better than 2017-2018-Benn and better than Beaulieu, Davidson and Morrow.

... just overpaid

32 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I still think he is a very good bottom pairing D, that is overpaid. Just like Emelin was

He is better than 2017-2018-Benn and better than Beaulieu, Davidson and Morrow.

... just overpaid

That's great. But if he isn't paid like one, and he isn't played like one, it doesn't matter.

Per Gord Miller...

Most goals, top 2 centres last season:
VGK   Karlsson/Haula       72
Pit       Malkin/Crosby        71
Edm    McDavid/Draisaitl 66
Tor      Matthews/Kadri     66
(Matthews missed 20 games)

Last 2 seasons:
Pit       Crosby/Malkin       148
Tor      Matthews/Kadri    138

MTL     Drouin/Danault                 21

Last 2 seasons

MTL      Danault/Plekanec            37

12 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

Per Gord Miller...

Last 2 seasons:

Last 2 seasons

:1vomit:

15 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

Per Gord Miller...

Last 2 seasons:

Last 2 seasons

Yep that just tells you all you need to know. Would also look to see stats for faceoffs %. We are always chasing the other teams around do yo not winning faceoffs. Also not winning the important draws.

Hearing from multiple outlets that Sabres-Blues have completed a trade for ROR.  They’re waiting to announce on July 1st so that Buffalo picks up the $7.5M bonus.

On the flip side, social media people are saying no trade has been agreed to between the Sabres-Blues.

As you were.

32 minutes ago, JGC21 said:

Hearing from multiple outlets that Sabres-Blues have completed a trade for ROR.  They’re waiting to announce on July 1st so that Buffalo picks up the $7.5M bonus.

On the flip side, social media people are saying no trade has been agreed to between the Sabres-Blues.

As you were.

If true, that means Stastny isn't going to St. Louis. 

2 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

If true, that means Stastny isn't going to St. Louis. 

Sure...but I'd MUCH rather have ROR. Sigh. Always the bridesmaid, never the bride.

45 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Sure...but I'd MUCH rather have ROR. Sigh. Always the bridesmaid, never the bride.

This is a free agent market you want to strike out on. I mean, nobody wants to strike out on Tavares, but the last thing this team needs is to get a lift to the wildcard.

Develop Poehling, Kotkaniemi, and Olofsson, get more centres in the 2019 draft (Hughes would be a dream come true but there's more centres, it's the best centre draft in years) and keep the picks coming in 2020. By that point you should have some 20 years olds playing the NHL game, some significant 19 year olds also playing, and hopefully an 18 year old or two on their way. That's a future.

I bet Vancouver tanks hard in 18-19 because they drafted his brother and the draft is in Vancouver. That would be big for them. Lose out on Hughes, we still got Raph Lavoie who already has a playoff hero reputation (10 game winning goals, 6 in OT) and Dylan Cozens, who reminds me of Jason Arnott.

I have no metaphor to counter the bridesmaid thing, since saying, "Pick your bride when she's young" is creepy.

9 hours ago, Habopotamus said:

Per Gord Miller...

Last 2 seasons:

Last 2 seasons

Where are the Stats for the top 2 centers Attitude and Character ratings?

raw

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Link67 said:

Where are the Stats for the top 2 centers Attitude and Character ratings?

raw

Is a bit more subjective there Mr. Batman, kinda like McDavid got zero votes for NHL MVP; but in voting by different group wins Ted Lindsay for 2nd straight year.

49 minutes ago, DON said:

Is a bit more subjective there Mr. Batman, kinda like McDavid got zero votes for NHL MVP; but in voting by different group wins Ted Lindsay for 2nd straight year.

McDavid was 5th in Hart voting.  He got 

6 first place

5 second place

19 third place

16 fourth place

32 fifth place

votes

55 minutes ago, Commandant said:

McDavid was 5th in Hart voting.  He got 

6 first place

5 second place

19 third place

16 fourth place

32 fifth place

votes

thanks, misheard someone, but you know what I mean.

• dlbalr unpinned this topic