2018 NHL Offseason Thread

Trizzak

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I was going to say the same thing :thumbs_up:

That said, Drouin was not put in a position to succeed, being thrown to the wolves as a 22-year-old #1C on a terrible team, despite not being a C. It is hard to imagine a worse strategy for developing a young player. And it's too Drouin's credit that he seems not to have folded.

We need to keep in mind that he is a very young player. While I doubt the trade will ever look good, I would declare it "too soon to tell" whether Drouin will fail to live up to his potential as a bona-fide top-line scoring threat.

I agree

I give him a whole bunch of credit for coming in here with the attitude he had and the effort he gave (surely to be the Franco hero and to say screw you to Yzerman). He had the organization dumped on his shoulders and he can't support that and there was no one to help him.

In a way I feel about him the way I feel about Weber.

I like them both but I prefer the players that were shipped out.

2 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Best part, " Another Marc Bergevin special "

I actually thought that was bad writing. To make reference to "another Marc Bergevin special" you need to have already mentioned "a Marc Bergevin special."

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

I actually thought that was bad writing. To make reference to "another Marc Bergevin special" you need to have already mentioned "a Marc Bergevin special."

There's no reference needed. Everyone knows the trades that have been made 

48 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

It's HockeyBuzz... I'm not sure I expect good writing... or accuracy. 

What in the world was Washington's GM thinking giving Tom Wilson a six-year deal at a little over $5 million per year?  Yes, he complemented the first line pretty well but before last season, his career high in points was 23.  Even last year, he only had 14 goals.  That's not the type of player that should be getting $5 million per year.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

What in the world was Washington's GM thinking giving Tom Wilson a six-year deal at a little over $5 million per year?  Yes, he complemented the first line pretty well but before last season, his career high in points was 23.  Even last year, he only had 14 goals.  That's not the type of player that should be getting $5 million per year.

Winning Cups seems to addle GMs' brains...

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Since the Bolts in 04 almost every Cup winning team has had a few re-sign blunders to keep the team together. The Ducks are one of the few who didn't but that's because Neidermayer and Selanne fake retired for half a year and it still feels like that was in some way an F U to Burke. Chicago of course has had the worst examples of it, especially Bickell. Most thought it would be DSP who got a dumb contract but it ended up Wilson, who I'm sure will be great for all of the suspensions he is bound to get post Cup for crap he used to get away with.

1 hour ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Both are bad players who shouldn't make over $3M.

Bad players? Most GMs would like to have either player, cost is between agent and GMs not the player.

Neither is a bad player; Shaw averages 17g 35pts/yr...how is that bad? Wilson is a wrecking ball out there, now is overpaid but irrelevant to being a good checker and 'OK' player at least.

18 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

When did i blame Beregvin for Shaw getting hurt? 

Im just responding to the flow of the conversation.

Brian... what is washington's gm thinking on the wilson deal.

Sbhatt... is it any worse than signing shaw.

Me... yes its worse production and more money.

You... shaw is damaged goods.

Me..   sure but thats not the gms fault.

The whole convo is why washingtons gm is dumb for wilsons deal.

1 hour ago, Habopotamus said:

Shaw is looking like damaged goods. 

Shaw is now damaged goods but his issue is more that he was always a mirage. He's a mid 20 points at best even strength player who has been played on the PP to boost his stats. Play him in the bottom six without PP time like he should and he's a 25 point winger for $3.9M. Due to his damaged goods status he's now more of a 15-20 point bottom six winger who will likely only play 60 games at best a season. For $3.9M per year.

28 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Shaw is now damaged goods but his issue is more that he was always a mirage. He's a mid 20 points at best even strength player who has been played on the PP to boost his stats. Play him in the bottom six without PP time like he should and he's a 25 point winger for $3.9M. Due to his damaged goods status he's now more of a 15-20 point bottom six winger who will likely only play 60 games at best a season. For $3.9M per year.

Can he even play on the edge anymore? 

41 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Im just responding to the flow of the conversation.

Brian... what is washington's gm thinking on the wilson deal.

Sbhatt... is it any worse than signing shaw.

Me... yes its worse production and more money.

You... shaw is damaged goods.

Me..   sure but thats not the gms fault.

The whole convo is why washingtons gm is dumb for wilsons deal.

I get ya

40 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

Can he even play on the edge anymore? 

He can chirp still, but the fact he was contemplating retirement after his last concussion tells me he's one hit away from being done for. And before he went down, Marc Bergevin wasn't entertaining any offers for him. Which makes me think teams were making offers for him. 

Shaw still has youth on his side to undamage his good, if all this was happening to a 31 year old Shaw, i'd be a lot more worried. Is he ever going to be worth his 3.9 mill? Probably not, unless we have a deep playoff run where he is the unsung hero multiple times a long the way, as he was in Chicago. Will he ever be a player who can play at the top of his game again? That is still entirely possible due to his age, he can't afford any major setbacks like he has been having though.

6 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Every pp needs a guy who battles in front of the net... bangs in rebounds and gets deflections... screens goalies and retrieves loose pucks in the corners.

Shaw did that role pretty well in chicago.  

That doesnt make his 20 goal season a mirage. No more than gallaghers totals are a mirage cause he pads his stats on the pp.  Lots of guys score on the pp.  Doesnt make their points a mirage.

15 hours ago, Commandant said:

Every pp needs a guy who battles in front of the net... bangs in rebounds and gets deflections... screens goalies and retrieves loose pucks in the corners.

Shaw did that role pretty well in chicago.  

That doesnt make his 20 goal season a mirage. No more than gallaghers totals are a mirage cause he pads his stats on the pp.  Lots of guys score on the pp.  Doesnt make their points a mirage.

Your Stanning of Shaw will never cease to amaze me. 

It's a mirage because if Chicago handled their cap better he never would have played on the PP and if the Habs were smart they never would have been in a position to play Shaw for the PP. Instead they emphasized grit over skill. Even now I would have Gallagher and Scherbak on the right and he would never play a minute of PP but you know he will. Gotta make that contract look acceptable.

18 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Gotta make that contract look acceptable.

Am sure Julien and Muller are quite worried about this and arrange PP units by salary.:bonk:

Apparently the Flames have placed Troy Brouwer on unconditional waivers for the purpose of a buy out according to a few sources (Sportsnet and The Globe and Mail).

• dlbalr unpinned this topic