2018 NHL Offseason Thread

Trizzak

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

How does this help Tampa's cap issues?

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

How does this help Tampa's cap issues?

We could offer to also take Callahan and one of coburn or girardi. I think that at the end of his deal Kucherov will bolt (no pun attended), as it doesn’t sound like he is going to sign for discounted rates like Hedman and Stamkos did, so it may make sense for yzerman to trade him this year.   so picking up cheap wingers like Gallagher and at least maxpac (for next year), should help them and Kucherov is a chip yzerman has that should bring a good return.

29 minutes ago, DON said:

about what he is worth isn't it?

Everyone is going to say its a good deal because its Pittsburg. If this was the habs, everyone would be complaining we over paid.

3 minutes ago, Metallica said:

Everyone is going to say its a good deal because its Pittsburg. If this was the habs, everyone would be complaining we over paid.

Johnson is much better than Alzner and it looks like they are signing him for same years, $1M-1.5M less per year.

4 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Johnson is much better than Alzner and it looks like they are signing him for same years, $1M-1.5M less per year.

No I am just saying in general the media would be saying how bad a deal it is if it was the habs. Some reason they always rip the habs.

5 minutes ago, Metallica said:

No I am just saying in general the media would be saying how bad a deal it is if it was the habs. Some reason they always rip the habs.

How many decisions in the past three years have been made that the media shouldn't have ripped? The media was generally positive on the Subban/Weber trade. It was the fans who were hating it. The only one I can think of is signing Radulov, since they acted like it was a redux of Semin.

16 minutes ago, Metallica said:

You're correct that confirmation bias affects hockey coverage in a big way. Teams that have a rep for being well-run tend to get the benefit of the doubt. For years Detroit was still spoken of in awe despite accomplishing nothing at all. With teams that have a rep as jokes, the reverse is true.

The media is also heavily implicated in the NHL old boy network, of which MB is a major member. Media guys also tend to dismiss Habs fans as hysterical, and therefore to give management the benefit of the doubt.

And partly for these reasons, I think the media has been ^behind* rather than ahead of the fans in recognizing that Bergevin is a dummy. Only with the Domi trade did Bergevin really seem to jump the shark in the eyes of the media. He has indeed become a laughing stock - but it took that trade to finally do it. The skeptical reaction to the #3 pick built on that prior framing. Attentive fans (who in fact pay much closer attention to the Habs than most of the national media types) had figured it out quite a bit earlier.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

You're correct that confirmation bias affects hockey coverage in a big way. Teams that have a rep for being well-run tend to get the benefit of the doubt. For years Detroit was still spoken of in awe despite accomplishing nothing at all. With teams that have a rep as jokes, the reverse is true.

The media is also heavily implicated in the NHL old boy network, of which MB is a major member. Media guys also tend to dismiss Habs fans as hysterical, and therefore to give management the benefit of the doubt.

And partly for these reasons, I think the media has been ^behind* rather than ahead of the fans in recognizing that Bergevin is a dummy. Only with the Domi trade did Bergevin really seem to jump the shark in the eyes of the media. He has become a laughing stock but only after that trade. Attentive fans (who in fact pay much closer attention to the Habs than most of the national media types) had figured it out quite a bit earlier.

Yeah now that I recall most were pretty positive on the Alzner signing.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Yeah now that I recall most were pretty positive on the Alzner signing.

I am in Toronto, no one on T. S. N or sportsnet was positive on the Alzner signing. Not sure about in Montreal. I guess I am speaking more on us habs fan living in Toronto how bad the media is.

4 minutes ago, Metallica said:

I am in Toronto, no one on T. S. N or sportsnet was positive on the Alzner signing. Not sure about in Montreal. I guess I am speaking more on us habs fan living in Toronto how bad the media is.

I watched the free agency stream, TSN said Alzner was a top four defenceman who had a disappointing season but would add toughness to the blueline and it was basically Emelin out, Alzner in. Nobody was ripping like... well, like I was. Not until he started playing.

26 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

I watched the free agency stream, TSN said Alzner was a top four defenceman who had a disappointing season but would add toughness to the blueline and it was basically Emelin out, Alzner in. Nobody was ripping like... well, like I was. Not until he started playing.

I don't know why people are so negative on Alzner: he has performed as bad as Emelin did but on a worse team than Emelin had

I liked how he played with Juulsen.

It is te Schelemko deal I never bought into

Edited by alfredoh2009
Clarified a bit

3 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I don't know why people are so negative on Alzner: he has performed as bad as Emelin did but on a bad team

I liked how he played with Juulsen.

It is te Schelemko deal I never bought into

I think Alzner is straight up awful. I rarely see him make a good play, his passes are bad, his acceleration is shot, he was constantly screening Price, and constantly bailed out. Alzner and Benn are some of the worst defencemen I've seen in Habs uniforms.

Schlemko got a lot of hype and he met none of it. Turned out we traded for a cap dump.

45 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Media guys also tend to dismiss Habs fans as hysterical, and therefore to give management the benefit of the doubt.

You're saying Habs fans shouldn't be considered hysterical by comparison to other teams? This has got to be the absolute whiniest fan base in all of sports. Even when the team is doing well it is nothing but pessimism and tears. I'm starting to be ashamed to be a fan, not because of managemnt but because of the majority of the "fan" base. 

21 minutes ago, illWill said:

You're saying Habs fans shouldn't be considered hysterical by comparison to other teams? This has got to be the absolute whiniest fan base in all of sports. Even when the team is doing well it is nothing but pessimism and tears. I'm starting to be ashamed to be a fan, not because of managemnt but because of the majority of the "fan" base. 

I assure you, the Canucks fan base is worse ;)

There are a lot of '82-0' fans who do whine even when things look good. That said, the team has been unimpressive since 2015, so grumbling is entirely justified at this point.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I assure you, the Canucks fan base is worse ;)

There are a lot of '82-0' fans who do whine even when things look good. That said, the team has been unimpressive since 2015, so grumbling is entirely justified at this point.

I suppose the 82-0 fans would be the same that ignore a division win since their "unimpressive" 2015 season

9 minutes ago, illWill said:

I suppose the 82-0 fans would be the same that ignore a division win since their "unimpressive" 2015 season

Spare me the celebration of a first round exit at the hands of a non-contending team. :rolleyes: I have as little time for the RAH RAH FOR MEDIOCRITY crowd as I do for those 82-0 folks. In fact, at least the latter group have high standards. So i'll give them the edge.

• Upvote 2

• dlbalr unpinned this topic