Galchenyuk traded for Domi

Metallica

29 minutes ago, DON said:

So you think he may put up only 5g next year...or just keep saying 5g as cheap way to try and make a weak point.

Galchenyuk averages 50pts/yr, all of 5 more points last year than a guy who only had 5g on one of worst teams in NHL.

DON, please, just stop, I know you always try to see the good in everything this organization does, a part of me commends that effort on your part. But this time, we dropped the ball here, we have traded the more talented, more skilled, and more productive player and we get some intangible upgrades, a speed boost, and some extra cap space.

Just get in the room filled with most of the hockey world that just doesn't get why this just happened, and sit down with the rest of us. Don't go in the other room where only Bergevin, a couple of his lackey's and a shamed Owner sit all by there lonesome, smoking cigars laughing about how the world will eat crow when Domi becomes a 75 point player.

I beg you, stop this crusade, it is madness to see this trade as anything less than it is in its very simplest form, Unnecessary and not an Upgrade. 

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Commandant said:

Clayton Keller is a better forward than anyone on the Habs roster. 

Derek Stepan is a better centre than anyone on the Habs roster. 

Oliver Ekman Larsson is as good a defenceman as anyone on the Habs Roster, and I'd even take him over Weber in terms of generating offence five v five. 

Christian Dvorak as a Rookie put up about the same numbers as the best season of Phillip Danault's career. 

I'm not convinced that Montreal has more talent than Arizona. 

Guys like Dvorak and Keller will only get better.

Guys like Strome, Perlini, Chychrun, a number 5 pick are all up and coming

Raanta is a solid goalie

Arizona is a team on the rise, won't surprise me at all if they make the playoffs in the next two years. 

Montreal has some huge holes to fill and a GM that I've totally lost confidence in. 

I’m not so convinced.

Clayton Keller is a very good player no doubt but Domi’s main partners over the years have been  Doan and Duclair. Stepan and Raanta were acquired last year.

Galchenyuk has had Radulov/Pacioretty/Gallagher/Drouin/Weber/ Petry and this cannot be stressed enough Markov who was an amazing PP set up man where Galchenyuk got a ton of points, Weber too.

I do think the Yotes have potential but let’s keep in mind their coach is very system and defensive minded, not sure how well he’s going to live with Chucks defensive warts if they do intend on playing him as a C. 

I don't think don or illWill are blindly waving the habs flag. If anything I would say some people are over valuing kotsitsyn 2.0 erm... Galchenyuk.  He's had tonnes of time to develop.  100% therrien gallant Julien muller fault that he did not. I would have liked to get more for him,  but this isn't pavel datsyuk. Plain and simple. I think montreal lost the trade.  But not by much. Galchenyuk isn't that good. I'm certainly not going to cheer for arizona and hope domi sucks and Chucky scores 50 so I can be right. 

I agree with illWill on the  confusion of using goals vs playmaking to argue about one trade, and then reversing it two years later to argue another. You never know, team balance may be better having someone who can pass the puck. Go 13 Go. 

27 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

I don't think don or illWill are blindly waving the habs flag. If anything I would say some people are over valuing kotsitsyn 2.0 erm... Galchenyuk.  He's had tonnes of time to develop.  100% therrien gallant Julien muller fault that he did not. I would have liked to get more for him,  but this isn't pavel datsyuk. Plain and simple. I think montreal lost the trade.  But not by much. Galchenyuk isn't that good. I'm certainly not going to cheer for arizona and hope domi sucks and Chucky scores 50 so I can be right. 

I agree with illWill on the  confusion of using goals vs playmaking to argue about one trade, and then reversing it two years later to argue another. You never know, team balance may be better having someone who can pass the puck. Go 13 Go. 

This is the kind of thinking that keeps letting the Montreal management off the hook for their terrible trades, this isn't the worst move they've made, but this is the straw that broke the camels back.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Scott462 said:

I’m not so convinced.

Clayton Keller is a very good player no doubt but Domi’s main partners over the years have been  Doan and Duclair. Stepan and Raanta were acquired last year.

This is not true. 

Last season, his most common partners were Dvorak, Stepan, Keller, and Fischer. Year prior was Hanzal, Vrbata, Duclair, and Dvorak. Rookie year was Duclair, Hanzal, Boedker, and Vermette.

The idea he played with third liners for his career so far isn't true. Arizona played him in the top six and often on the top line. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

This is not true. 

Last season, his most common partners were Dvorak, Stepan, Keller, and Fischer. Year prior was Hanzal, Vrbata, Duclair, and Dvorak. Rookie year was Duclair, Hanzal, Boedker, and Vermette.

The idea he played with third liners for his career so far isn't true. Arizona played him in the top six and often on the top line. 

So he didn’t play a lot with Shane Doan? Anthony Duclair? None of these players are world beaters and I would take any of the players Chucky got to play with over them besides Keller, Dvorak and maybe Stepan but he is on the downswing of his career.

2 hours ago, Link67 said:

DON, please, just stop, I know you always try to see the good in everything this organization does, a part of me commends that effort on your part. But this time, we dropped the ball here, we have traded the more talented, more skilled, and more productive player and we get some intangible upgrades, a speed boost, and some extra cap space.

Just get in the room filled with most of the hockey world that just doesn't get why this just happened, and sit down with the rest of us. Don't go in the other room where only Bergevin, a couple of his lackey's and a shamed Owner sit all by there lonesome, smoking cigars laughing about how the world will eat crow when Domi becomes a 75 point player.

I beg you, stop this crusade, it is madness to see this trade as anything less than it is in its very simplest form, Unnecessary and not an Upgrade. 

They were laughing at Marc Bergevin today on Vancouver radio - the intelligent and Habs-sympathetic hosts, I mean, not the callers. "Every GM in the league is busy calling Marc Bergevin," they quip - meaning the GMs know they have a sucker.

Public opinion isn't everything, but the Habs have become a laughing stock. This should impart a clue as to how the hockey world regards the trade.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Public opinion isn't everything, but the Habs have become a laughing stock. This should impart a clue as to how the hockey world regards the trade.

Molson is clearly convinced that one day this will all come together and Bergevin will be the last man laughing. Otherwise Marc would be fired.

3 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Molson is clearly convinced that one day this will all come together and Bergevin will be the last man laughing. Otherwise Marc would be fired.

Either that, or Molson is convinced the money will keep rolling in, defining "success" in the same way Harold Ballard did.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

If that's the case then all we have left is to hope that day does come soon, for all our mental well being, we have to hope that day does come where Molson can look Bergevin in the eye and say..

tenor.gif?itemid=3473683 

And we, the tortured fanbase driven to madness by years of confusing acts we could not comprehend at the time, get to finally celebrate the final reveal of the Grand Bergevin Plan. Our minds broken from years of abuse, we could celebrate and be proud we survived our journey through madness..

tenor.gif

That is the only hope we have left.... Its all we have left....ITS ALL WE HAVE LEFT!!!!!............. sorry I think the madness has begun to set in

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Commandant said:

5 isn't a high bar. 

If he repeats last season's performance of 5 goals against goalies this trade is a disaster. 

He needs to be at 15-20 to have even a chance to win the deal. 

Every analyst I’ve heard discussing this trade has stated that Domi has tremendous upside and that his 9 goals last year was the result of a bad year.  He has the potential for 20 goals for sure, and can also setup the play.  If he wins more puck battles than Galchenyuk and isn’t easily knocked off the puck, then I can see why MB made this trade.  Don’t get me wrong, I don’t love this trade but I also don’t think Domi is Deslauriers.  Domi has the potential to be Gallagher.

5 hours ago, JGC21 said:

Every analyst I’ve heard discussing this trade has stated that Domi has tremendous upside and that his 9 goals last year was the result of a bad year.  He has the potential for 20 goals for sure, and can also setup the play.  If he wins more puck battles than Galchenyuk and isn’t easily knocked off the puck, then I can see why MB made this trade.  Don’t get me wrong, I don’t love this trade but I also don’t think Domi is Deslauriers.  Domi has the potential to be Gallagher.

I think so too.

I still hope Domi is only half of a better trade for the CH; but he is definitely not a 4th liner 

6 hours ago, JGC21 said:

And his 9 goals the year before was the result of what?

Its not one year of 9 goals.  Its now two years back to back.

57 minutes ago, Commandant said:

And his 9 goals the year before was the result of what?

Its not one year of 9 goals.  Its now two years back to back.

He got injured. He was on pace for 13 goals and 40 assists as a sophomore. That's not lighting the net on fire but his overall production was still solid. 

Did anybody have any concerns about Galchenyuk's declining goal totals of 30-23(adjusted for injury) and 19? There has been so much emphasis on "trading a 30 goal scorer", whereas he only reached that plateau in one season and hasn't scored more than 20 in a single year. 

I think we all had fantasies of him finally putting it all together becoming a #1 C and putting up a bunch of points but it seems that the reality seems to be that he is what he is, a capable yet inconsistent scorer. Somebody here made the comparison to Andrei Kostitsyn, and to me that's a great comparison. A player that possesses all of the tools but not the tool box to use them. 

Here's a decent article for anyone that might still think about jumping off the ledge:

http://www.lapresse.ca/sports/mathias-brunet/201806/18/01-5186204-galchenyuk-deboulonnons-certains-mythes.php

24 minutes ago, Commandant said:

13?

A top 6 forward who can't score 15 goals is an issue. 

I guess Joe Thornton is chopped liver. Not comparing Domi to Thornton but Domi is an assist guy and a playmaker.

27 minutes ago, Commandant said:

13?

A top 6 forward who can't score 15 goals is an issue. 

He can't?

Lets see what he does before calling the trade a bust. 

Galchenyuk's whopping 19 goals last year was much better? His goal totals have declined in the past 3 seasons

4 minutes ago, Scott462 said:

I guess Joe Thornton is chopped liver. Not comparing Domi to Thornton but Domi is an assist guy and a playmaker.

Thornton is 38. In 14-15 he had 11 goals but 65 assists.

Domi barely puts up more assists than Galchenyuk. That is why the playmaker thing is so disingenuous. He doesn't put up more assists than Chuck puts up points. Domi had four more assists than Alex with 10 less goals.

13 minutes ago, Scott462 said:

Call me when Domi leads the league in assists and wins a Hart Trophy

12 minutes ago, illWill said:

He can't?

Lets see what he does before calling the trade a bust. 

Galchenyuk's whopping 19 goals last year was much better? His goal totals have declined in the past 3 seasons

He hasn't scored that since hurting his hand.  Hoping that he'll be able to recover and shoot again (his velocity is way down), is not a plan, and not what I want a GM to be dealing in. 

And yes more than double the goals is much better.  19 is a lot better than 9.  Especially when all of those 19 were on goalies, while Domi scored only 5 on goalies. 

8 minutes ago, Commandant said:

What are you babbling about?

Now if he doesn't become MVP the trade is a bust?

11 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Thornton is 38. In 14-15 he had 11 goals but 65 assists.

Domi barely puts up more assists than Galchenyuk. That is why the playmaker thing is so disingenuous. He doesn't put up more assists than Chuck puts up points. Domi had four more assists than Alex with 10 less goals.

Yet they have similar points per games, over their careers, also he broke his hand and is still recovering. The last part of the season he was playing really good and got a bunch of points.

10 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Lol.

I just said I was not comparing Domi to Thornton but you were the one that said a top six forward scoring less goals is concerning.