Galchenyuk traded for Domi

Metallica

4 minutes ago, Scott462 said:

Yet they have similar points per games, over their careers, also he broke his hand and is still recovering. The last part of the season he was playing really good and got a bunch of points.

Lol.

I just said I was not comparing Domi to Thornton but you were the one that said a top six forward scoring less goals is concerning. 

He had one more point than Chuck in their final 20. But don't let me get in the way of the narratives. Or absolutes.

Chuck had a good end of the season as well..

You see what’s going on here, no one is trying to dimish Galchenyuks talent or skill or production but people are certainly doing that with Domi.

I just think that their skill and talent are quite similar both have the ability to grow but Chuck has had the longer NHL career.

I don't think we should be arguing that Domi sucks, or even that Galy is the better-goal scorer, as if goals count for more than play-making. This is a classic rhetorical trap, exactly the same sort of trap that was set for critics of the Subban trade, who were accused of hating Weber. In fact they merely argued that Subban was a better overall player and was almost four years younger, and that the trade made zero sense because it solved zero problems. As subsequent events have proved 100% correct in every respect.

There IS a legitimate concern about whether Domi is damaged goods. But assuming he's physically fine, the trade is not bad because Domi is a POS player. Rather it is bad because

-Galy has a higher ceiling than Domi, a significant consideration when you're talking about two young players;

-the trade is therefore at best a lateral move for the Habs; in other words, completely pointless, even as we bear all of the risk in the deal;

-Arizona happily plans to use Galy at C. This suggests that we fans are not the only ones who believe Galy's usage in Montreal was completely asinine; and if they're right, we just traded away a top-6 C for a LW, which would represent one of the single dumbest positional moves in the history of this organization;

-even if Galy is not a C, this trade is a LW-for-LW deal, an absolutely baffling failure to move the asset to address the gaping positional holes on the team.

There is no need to be drawn into a discussion about goal-scoring EXCEPT in the context of arguing that Domi is damaged goods and can't shoot the puck.

• Upvote 3

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Just walked passed Max Domi in Toronto. I circled back and wished him a good season, "go habs." He thanked me and complimented my beard.

Nice encounter, 8/10, would recommend. 

Funny that you mentioned this. 

Max and I share the same physiotherapist and he tells me that his hand is A-ok!

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Scott462 said:

Funny that you mentioned this. 

Max and I share the same physiotherapist and he tells me that his hand is A-ok!

Glad to hear you and Max's physiotherapist's hand has healed!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...

He's lucky he only got 5 games.  Anyone get the feeling MB has no clue what character is?  Sure  Galchenyuk was not tough, but he was not a goon, or gutless. It's also too bad the league is not willing to help prevent injuries.  Domi should have been given a minimum 10 games to send the message that gutless moves are not ok. 

2 hours ago, Richard09 said:

He's lucky he only got 5 games.  Anyone get the feeling MB has no clue what character is?  Sure  Galchenyuk was not tough, but he was not a goon, or gutless. It's also too bad the league is not willing to help prevent injuries.  Domi should have been given a minimum 10 games to send the message that gutless moves are not ok. 

Domi made a mistake

I'm not sure a guy who averages 70 PIMs a year, and averages 2.3 fights per season (7 fights in 3 years) is a "goon"

• Upvote 1

The act was troubling because it brings to mind Shaw's first season with us, where he seemed so determined to live up to his rep that he acted like an ass and hurt the team. 

And let's face it, when you've been traded in return for a player that practically the entire hockey universe believes was an overpay, making such an idiotic play is practically begging for backlash.

Fortunately for Domi, the NHL has no interest in protecting players by issuing meaningful suspensions, and so this rash and classless move brings no real ill-effects for him or the team. But he needs to avoid a repeat if he wants to avoid stoking the flames of fan resentment. This will be doubly true if Galy excels in Arizona. Domi has to bear down and play his very best hockey; if he keeps acting like a jerk-off, well, we all know how unpleasant Montreal can be when it turns on a guy.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The act was troubling because it brings to mind Shaw's first season with us, where he seemed so determined to live up to his rep that he acted like an ass and hurt the team. 

And let's face it, when you've been traded in return for a player that practically the entire hockey universe believes was an overpay, making such an idiotic play is practically begging for backlash.

Fortunately for Domi, the NHL has no interest in protecting players by issuing meaningful suspensions, and so this rash and classless move brings no real ill-effects for him or the team. But he needs to avoid a repeat if he wants to avoid stoking the flames of fan resentment. This will be doubly true if Galy excels in Arizona. Domi has to bear down and play his very best hockey; if he keeps acting like a jerk-off, well, we all know how unpleasant Montreal can be when it turns on a guy.

Before getting hurt, Shaw was playing well and he has not done anything "goonish" since that first incident.

I expect Max to learn his lesson and to play well when he gets back.

A storm n a glass of water...

If its true that Ekblad was running around slashing away then I am happy with what Domi did.

Yes maybe I have a want for us to be the tough team for once.

All the way back since the Eric Lindros and Legion of doom just doing what they want against us, all the Koivu injurys , Markov and then Pacioretty and the Chara incident, maybe my head is a bit damaged by our teams history of mediocrity and whimpyness. 

If I’m worried about Shaw for any reason, it’s the thought that he wouldn’t be able to play on that fine edge of the line anymore due to his recent history of concussions, rather than the fact that that’s the way he plays. He hasn’t looked the same. Would love for that to change. It’s as though he’s already concerned about his long term health, which ties in with this discussion. 

1 hour ago, Habopotamus said:

Not that this has any baring on the Habs, but Chucky went down with a lower body injury. Doesn't sound good. 

Hope it’s not the knee again. Poor kid has had such bad luck with that. 

The Kopitar collision that caused his last knee injury was just silly.

15 hours ago, Scott462 said:

Hope it’s not the knee again. Poor kid has had such bad luck with that. 

The Kopitar collision that caused his last knee injury was just silly.

Maybe team Doc saw he got no nuts for D-game ?

21 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Before getting hurt, Shaw was playing well and he has not done anything "goonish" since that first incident.

I expect Max to learn his lesson and to play well when he gets back.

A storm n a glass of water...

I doubt he will get better.  I hated this deal from day one and Domi so far has proven we gave up a top 6 forward for some one who is not even worthy of playing for Rockets. 

Now the team is stuck with him either warming the benches or watching from the press box. 

43 minutes ago, Richard09 said:

I doubt he will get better.  I hated this deal from day one and Domi so far has proven we gave up a top 6 forward for some one who is not even worthy of playing for Rockets. 

Now the team is stuck with him either warming the benches or watching from the press box. 

It's a stupid trade predicated on arbitrary considerations ('attitude') rather than hockey skills. However, if Galy has a serious injury, the Habs will benefit in the short term. So there's that.

1 hour ago, ehjay said:

Maybe team Doc saw he got no nuts for D-game ?

It’s funny because I thought anyways that Galchenyuks defensive game was starting to get better towards the end of last year.

Not great but progress was shown.

2 hours ago, Richard09 said:

Holy hyperbole

I don't like the trade, but the idea that Domi is not even an AHL player and will be watching from the press box?

WOW...

2 hours ago, Scott462 said:

It’s funny because I thought anyways that Galchenyuks defensive game was starting to get better towards the end of last year.

Not great but progress was shown.

He did show progress, but I think Galy was already a marked man by management. Basically, they didn't like him. As with Subban, that's all that counts in this gong show of an organization.