Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Metallica

Galchenyuk traded for Domi

Recommended Posts

Oh boy, where do I begin, I'll go at this from a Pros and Cons standpoint for me I guess.

 

PROS:

- Max Domi is another Gallagher type, Him and Brendan Gallagher on the team certainly adds a lot to the Tenacity and Energy in our top 6, ,definitely no floater shifts with these 2. Max Domi is essentially a playmaking Gallagher, with excellent speed, and the ability to make players on the ice with him better while he is out there, I like it a lot. 

- Max Domi comes with the baggage to understand this type of Market and how to navigate within it, how to be a Pro in a Huge Market like this is without a doubt of great value. Something Galchenyuk had already shot himself in the foot over.

- Max Domi is a very high end skater, at least it shows me this team values the pace of the game has changed, and high end skaters are a commodity that cannot be overlooked anymore.

- Max Domi saves us a good chunk on the cap, and allows us to retain him much longer than we would have retained Galchenuk, who was just waiting for UFA status to bolt out of here.

 

CONS:

- We traded a Top 6 forward, for something that was not a positional need, but merely a team dynamic need, a need that even if fulfilled, will never be seen by anyone but those within the locker room, privately. This is Subban for Weber all over again, a trade to help the locker room, to help the coaching staff, a dividend the general public will never see or know about even if it works, thus setting yourself up for waves of critics.

- Galchenyuk was traded while his production of his last campaign was not near a pinnacle by any means, while his market value was low, because as Pierre LeBrun said on RDS today, his reputation is tarnished and mixed across the league. Therefore in my opinion, where we are all expecting Galchenyuk for some young Dman or Center, we can't even fetch that because his value at the moment is below that level of return. I Don't understand why we would pull the trigger on a deal while that is the case, we still had time to let him try to shell out a productive year next year to trade him while his value is potentially higher next summer, it was worth the risk to wait because you still have 2 guaranteed years of him here. 

- Stats wise, we broke even on point totals, lost on Goal totals, thus making no improvement on any stat sheet, with nothing more than a hope the change of scenery swings the pendulum of production our way going forward.

- Again there is another move, that continues to show there is a disconnect in what this management wants to see on the ice, and what moves to make to get there. They want to add speed and better attitudes to the team, Great, Speed is a top of the food chain need now, great attitudes help you build team chemistry. How they go about achieving those things is mind boggling, the pieces being traded are not the pieces you should be using for organizational intangibles and individual skills, those pieces should be used to get positional needs, glaring holes in the structure of your Roster. We started this summer with 4 ways to fill our Positional needs, The Draft, Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, and Free Agency. We are now down to 3 ways, time ticking, and the only shot at a certainty for a fix, coming from the 3rd overall pick. Who knows what Pacioretty gets moved for now, and who knows what UFAs we land. 

 

In conclusion, This trade is a waste, Max Domi is an awesome player, I love the kid, I am sure we will all love him as much as we love Gallagher for the same reasons, but he doesn't fill a positional need, and he will likely never be a high end point producer, thus making this trade a waste. I am not going to say the trade is horrible, because Domi is awesome, but I will say I don't like the trade because we wasted one of our few chips, for something that didn't fix what we needed to fix. At least in my mind, the attitude and character on this team does not outweigh the positional holes we have to fill, and for that reason, I don't like this trade.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, DON said:

Why is it atrocious? Bit overkill isn't it before he has played one game yet, but knee jerk reaction by most is as expected I suppose.

I am OK with swap, question it not being for a centre or LH d-man, but see how shakes out over next two weeks before will jump on the Chicken Little bandwagon.

After all backfiring in his face last summer, will it be a repeat?

 

How is it anything other than atrocious? We traded one of the most talented players on the team and did not even get back a C or LD. Instead, we got back a player who can't put the puck in the net. Like Drouin, he is a far better passer than scorer. Given that there is no chance of immediately replacing Pacioretty's scoring when he inevitably leaves, this team will be left with Gallagher will be the team's top goal scorer.  As much as I love him, no team can win with him being their best scorer.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Almost identical totals???? Did he ever score 30 goals???  Yeah let’s trade a guy now because we may not be able to resign him 2 years from now.  Wait let’s trade Ryan Poehling now too, because he may opt to become a UFA once he’s done college rather than resign with us 🙄

 

I said point totals. No he didn’t but he had a great rookie year and if he can find that form and build on it we might be in a pretty good spot.

 

I was just bringing up a concern. Chucky is a UFA after two years, the way his relationship with the Habs has played out over the year it is a legit concern he walks away for nothing at the end. Domi is a RFA and will “hopefully” have a good relationship with Montreal when it comes time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm 42 years old. Been following the Habs all my life and at no time in all these years has my confidence in this team been soooo low! I used to have high hopes for Bergevin, but ever since the Subban trade, it seems he can't do anything right.  I have nothing against Domi. the Kid looks like he has the "right attitude'', but we're giving up on a real talent in order to find the right attitude??? WTF??? Worst thing about this deal is that we haven't even addressed one of our glaring needs (center or LH d-man).

 

I sincerely hupe Chucky plays at center in Arizona and puts up a 35G - 70 point season. Maybe then Molson will realize that Bergevin needs to go.

 

I have lost almost all faith in this organization. I'm afraid of what will happen at the draft and on July 1. How many more mistakes will M.B. make?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m a Habs fan and will always be a Habs fan.  Despite losing Chucky, who I liked quite a bit, that doesn’t mean I’ll start cheering for the Coyotes.  Arizona sucks, they don’t deserve a team.  I could care less about Chucky now.  Welcome to Mtl Domi.

 

Go Habs Go!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Per François Gagnon of RDS:

 

When you ask other GM around the league the value of Galchenuyk, you realize that asking for more than Domi in this trade was putting an end to talks. But hey! You can overestimate the value of the players you like, that is your right #Habs #CH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This article (French only) talks about how Chucky was listening to the advice of his Dad rather than the Mtl coaches.  It also says that Chucky would check his phone between periods to read his Dad’s texts concerning his play.  Weird.

 

http://www.danslescoulisses.com/fr/galchenyuk-consultait-les-messages-de-son-pere-pendant-les-entractes/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Link67 said:

Oh boy, where do I begin, I'll go at this from a Pros and Cons standpoint for me I guess.

 

PROS:

- Max Domi is another Gallagher type, Him and Brendan Gallagher on the team certainly adds a lot to the Tenacity and Energy in our top 6, ,definitely no floater shifts with these 2. Max Domi is essentially a playmaking Gallagher, with excellent speed, and the ability to make players on the ice with him better while he is out there, I like it a lot. 

- Max Domi comes with the baggage to understand this type of Market and how to navigate within it, how to be a Pro in a Huge Market like this is without a doubt of great value. Something Galchenyuk had already shot himself in the foot over.

- Max Domi is a very high end skater, at least it shows me this team values the pace of the game has changed, and high end skaters are a commodity that cannot be overlooked anymore.

- Max Domi saves us a good chunk on the cap, and allows us to retain him much longer than we would have retained Galchenuk, who was just waiting for UFA status to bolt out of here.

 

CONS:

- We traded a Top 6 forward, for something that was not a positional need, but merely a team dynamic need, a need that even if fulfilled, will never be seen by anyone but those within the locker room, privately. This is Subban for Weber all over again, a trade to help the locker room, to help the coaching staff, a dividend the general public will never see or know about even if it works, thus setting yourself up for waves of critics.

- Galchenyuk was traded while his production of his last campaign was not near a pinnacle by any means, while his market value was low, because as Pierre LeBrun said on RDS today, his reputation is tarnished and mixed across the league. Therefore in my opinion, where we are all expecting Galchenyuk for some young Dman or Center, we can't even fetch that because his value at the moment is below that level of return. I Don't understand why we would pull the trigger on a deal while that is the case, we still had time to let him try to shell out a productive year next year to trade him while his value is potentially higher next summer, it was worth the risk to wait because you still have 2 guaranteed years of him here. 

- Stats wise, we broke even on point totals, lost on Goal totals, thus making no improvement on any stat sheet, with nothing more than a hope the change of scenery swings the pendulum of production our way going forward.

- Again there is another move, that continues to show there is a disconnect in what this management wants to see on the ice, and what moves to make to get there. They want to add speed and better attitudes to the team, Great, Speed is a top of the food chain need now, great attitudes help you build team chemistry. How they go about achieving those things is mind boggling, the pieces being traded are not the pieces you should be using for organizational intangibles and individual skills, those pieces should be used to get positional needs, glaring holes in the structure of your Roster. We started this summer with 4 ways to fill our Positional needs, The Draft, Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, and Free Agency. We are now down to 3 ways, time ticking, and the only shot at a certainty for a fix, coming from the 3rd overall pick. Who knows what Pacioretty gets moved for now, and who knows what UFAs we land. 

 

In conclusion, This trade is a waste, Max Domi is an awesome player, I love the kid, I am sure we will all love him as much as we love Gallagher for the same reasons, but he doesn't fill a positional need, and he will likely never be a high end point producer, thus making this trade a waste. I am not going to say the trade is horrible, because Domi is awesome, but I will say I don't like the trade because we wasted one of our few chips, for something that didn't fix what we needed to fix. At least in my mind, the attitude and character on this team does not outweigh the positional holes we have to fill, and for that reason, I don't like this trade.

as much as as I like Gallagher, I would have traded him in a heartbeat before moving galchenyuk for two reasons. First, I think he would have brought a better return because his value will be very high after this season.  Second, galchenyuk has a much higher ceiling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JGC21 said:

This article (French only) talks about how Chucky was listening to the advice of his Dad rather than the Mtl coaches.  It also says that Chucky would check his phone between periods to read his Dad’s texts concerning his play.  Weird.

 

http://www.danslescoulisses.com/fr/galchenyuk-consultait-les-messages-de-son-pere-pendant-les-entractes/

Could it be that he didn’t trust his coaches, like the former fat bouncer who thought he would learn how to play centre on the wing, or his clone who on a team starving for goals had him playing on the fourth line in the friggin playoffs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, JGC21 said:

This article (French only) talks about how Chucky was listening to the advice of his Dad rather than the Mtl coaches.  It also says that Chucky would check his phone between periods to read his Dad’s texts concerning his play.  Weird.

 

http://www.danslescoulisses.com/fr/galchenyuk-consultait-les-messages-de-son-pere-pendant-les-entractes/

 

Then why didn't they trade him two years ago when his value was at its highest? Or, keep him around, now that he was playing more the way Julien wanted him to, then trade him after creating a narrative about his maturation?  Or, play him at C, where he was more productive than at W, in order to drive his value up before trading him? 

 

Only Marc Bergevin's Habs would deflate a guy's value, then trade him, then say they couldn't get more - and then plant attacks on the player through friends in the media. It's the Reggie Houle playbook, except for the last part, which I don't remember Houle doing.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its the same bullshit attacks in the media we saw after Subban was traded. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Its the same bullshit attacks in the media we saw after Subban was traded. 

 

Yep. That's how this arrogant, ignorant, and classless organization rolls.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 NOT a fan of this trade at all...

And NOT because I don’t like Domi but because it should of been Domi  plus another asset!!!!!

 

I’m a believer it’s OK to make mistakes... but if your not learning anything and then repeating them your a fool.

 

and even if Domi out performs galchenyuk from this day forward... we would of still lost because in hindsight galchenyuk  is just more valuable in this trade period!

 

just like subban was more valuable then Weber and failed to get an added piece!

just like sergachev was and we failed to get an added piece!

 

same mistakes  over and f’n over!!!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great trade for the Habs. You fools that think Chucky was anything more than Cammilleri with swag are hilarious.

 

This thread really exemplifies the disconnect between reality of the general Habs follower.

 

 

  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish I could say I was shocked to hear the return for Galy, but I'm not. This management team has fumbled their way into decision after decision, I can't see how Molson keeps letting him do this. This team is plagued with old thinking dinosaurs in the management and coaching side.  

 

Sometimes I feel like this org is strangled by the past successes and traditions: old french speaking coaches, players have to act a certain way (see: Subban).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There were many times In the last few seasons  that Galchenyuk looked totally disconnected from the team on the ice.  More often than not I would say.  

 

I have no problem with him being traded. Would have been nice to get an extra pick tho. 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, bar said:

I wish I could say I was shocked to hear the return for Galy, but I'm not. This management team has fumbled their way into decision after decision, I can't see how Molson keeps letting him do this. This team is plagued with old thinking dinosaurs in the management and coaching side.  

 

Sometimes I feel like this org is strangled by the past successes and traditions: old french speaking coaches, players have to act a certain way (see: Subban).

 

LMAO oh so its the management fumbling Galchenyuk and not Galchenyuk fumbling being a professional.

 

Thanks for down voting and proving my point in one fell swoop.

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, nihilz said:

Thanks for down voting and proving my point in one fell swoop.

 

 

He wasn't the one who put a downvote in...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

 

He wasn't the one who put a downvote in...

 

Then he shouldn't be bothered.

 

Thanks, regardless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nihilz said:

 

LMAO oh so its the management fumbling Galchenyuk and not Galchenyuk fumbling being a professional.

 

Thanks for down voting and proving my point in one fell swoop.

I didn't give the down vote either, but you deserved one 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If galchenyuk is just a cammalleri clone.  Does that make Domi the new Rene Bourque.

 

9 goals a year is about what Bourque was capable of.

 

The cammalleri trade should be a lesson to not trade away talent for lesser talent with intangibles... we got hosed on that deal.

 

As for the downvote... i gave it.  Specifically for this part.. "You fools that think..."  i gave a downvote because i think we should be able to have civil discourse without calling people who disagree with you fools.  And i would say the same thing if you were calling people who like the trade fools. There is just no need to call each other names to get our points across.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Commandant said:

If galchenyuk is just a cammalleri clone.  Does that make Domi the new Rene Bourque.

 

9 goals a year is about what Bourque was capable of.

 

The cammalleri trade should be a lesson to not trade away talent for lesser talent with intangibles... we got hosed on that deal.

 

Yeeeessss maaassttaaaa.

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also i wouldn't be against trading galchenyuk if he filled a need.  But getting a less talented player at the same position is lunacy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Both players .6 ppg. Chucky unable to secure a roster spot with multiple coaches. I think the return could have been much less. I think the $1.75 saved in cap space is the extra pick/piece people are ultimately upset about. IF Pacioretty is on his way out and they plan on addressing the center position. Domi is a solid option at 2LW behind Drouin, at a discount. And, lets be honest, Arizona is a dumpster fire. Domi not being productive, shouldn't be his fault alone. Or is Pacioretty's production(lack) this past season only on Pacioretty? Furthermore, in 2 yrs, Galchenyuk will be UFA and Domi still RFA.

 

Im not saying I like the PK trade. IF I liked the PK trade its because we had Sergachev. I didn't like the Sergachev trade and had to justify it as Drouin for a 9th rd pick. Frankly, there hasn't bee a trade in a long time (Kovalev from NYR) that I thought was stellar. But getting rid of Chucky to me is the most important step. Getting Domi back is really good imo.

 

Let me specify that, Im on the verge of abandon in regards to the NHL in general. The Canadiens foremost. This draft is make & break for me and my formerly beloved. Bergy & co have to be utterly masterful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Montreal is also a dumpster fire. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×