Defence question

titanfan

As far as I can see we have 8 defencemen for next season (right now).

Weber    Petry

Juulsen   Reilly

Alzner  Schlemko

Benn  Mete

My question is - how do we know who is a Right Defence and who is Left Defence?

Now I know Montreal can't even figure out who is a centre (rolls eyes), but in making D pairings who goes where?

And, I guess, am I missing anyone?

Edited by titanfan

Generally speaking, the easiest way to figure it out is to look at who shoots with what hand.  Most of the time, that answers the question as to which side they play.  That lines it up roughly like this:

Mete - Weber

Alzner - Petry

Benn - Juulsen

Schlemko

Reilly

They've tried to play Benn and Schlemko - both lefties - on the right side with limited success.  In terms of others that could be in the discussion, Brett Lernout (RH) and Rinat Valiev (LH) are both waiver-eligible next season and could get a long look at training camp as a result.  I suspect at least one of Benn or Schlemko will be moved at some point this offseason, partly with that in mind.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, titanfan said:

As far as I can see we have 8 defencemen for next season (right now).

Weber    Petry

Juulsen   Reilly

Alzner  Schlemko

Benn  Mete

My question is - how do we know who is a Right Defence and who is Left Defence?

Now I know Montreal can't even figure out who is a centre (rolls eyes), but in making D pairings who goes where?

And, I guess, am I missing anyone?

Moracik Weber

Mete Petry

Alzner Juulsen

Schlemko Benn

Moravcik wasn't a top pairing player in the Czech league (he was fourth among defenders on his team in ATOI at a bit under 20 minutes) so I think you may be a little overenthusiastic about his NHL potential.  If he's paired with Weber, yikes.  Honestly, I think Sklenicka has the higher upside long-term (but he's a couple of years away) and that Moravcik is more of a third pairing ceiling if all goes well.

37 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Moravcik wasn't a top pairing player in the Czech league (he was fourth among defenders on his team in ATOI at a bit under 20 minutes) so I think you may be a little overenthusiastic about his NHL potential.  If he's paired with Weber, yikes.  Honestly, I think Sklenicka has the higher upside long-term (but he's a couple of years away) and that Moravcik is more of a third pairing ceiling if all goes well.

more so i want mete to play with petry in the 4 hole...

alzner schlemko and benn have no place with weber in the 2 spot... thus for now its open for a guy like Moracvik(23) or slenicka(21) to try out... ive seen or current options and Moracik is our best option and i have yet to see him play a single hockey game which is more a slight on our current def depth then optimism of his talent.

Calvin DeHaan is my UFA fix but only if we find a new home for Alzner and schlemko

23 hours ago, dlbalr said:

They've tried to play Benn and Schlemko - both lefties - on the right side with limited success.

Actual performance aside, I feel like Benn once said he prefers playing on the right side?

He has but I do believe the right side is set with Weber peach tre I do believe the right side is set with Weber petry juulsen

49 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Actual performance aside, I feel like Benn once said he prefers playing on the right side?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

He has but I do believe the right side is set with Weber peach tre I do believe the right side is set with Weber petry juulsen

Petry must now be referred to as Peach Tree, and I will find some way to get this nickname to make sense.

How ever you slice it, this defense is awful. 

MB has collected 7 or 8 bottom pair d-men with no help in sight. 

Benn and Schlemko should both be moved.

4 hours ago, Chris said:

How ever you slice it, this defense is awful. 

MB has collected 7 or 8 bottom pair d-men with no help in sight. 

Benn and Schlemko should both be moved.

The D is fine on the right side, but the LD configuration must be the most catastrophically inept in all of hockey, much like our C depth.

6 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Petry must now be referred to as Peach Tree, and I will find some way to get this nickname to make sense.

Voice texting  while driving on message board is probably inappropriate 

haha

37 minutes ago, DON said:

What would that accomplish?

It'd clear up a roster spot for the Habs to perhaps try to add on the left side.  It also could clear up a spot for one of their waiver-eligible blueliners that they may not want to risk running through waivers.  In Benn's case, his complaints about the rotation that was used at the end of the season suggested to me that he wouldn't mind being moved and in Schlemko's case, getting out of the contract wouldn't be a bad thing to try to do. 

39 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

It'd clear up a roster spot for the Habs to perhaps try to add on the left side.  It also could clear up a spot for one of their waiver-eligible blueliners that they may not want to risk running through waivers.  In Benn's case, his complaints about the rotation that was used at the end of the season suggested to me that he wouldn't mind being moved and in Schlemko's case, getting out of the contract wouldn't be a bad thing to try to do. 

I assume you could waive either if wanted.

Didn't hear Benn was whining and as a $1m guy, he should know he is close to being an ex-NHLer.

$2.1m for Schlemko eh.

23 hours ago, Commandant said:

The left side problem is really two fold

1) not enough players who can play on the top 2 pairs (and some might say none)

2) too many guys creating a third pair log jam

I'd like to see Hughes on our top pair left side in the future...but I won't hold my breath on the braintrust to make it happen.