Could our lineup look like this

titanfan

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

We need to deal away another forward for prospects/picks.... preferably a winger. 

Absolutely, it would be bad to loose one of the extra players at camp through waivers. Deslaurier, Delarose, Peca, Hudon, Agostino, Froese, Shinkaruk, McCarron, Chaput, Ouellet, Lernout, Valiev have to clear waivers

The will need to trade at least two Forwards and one Defenseman by the end of camp

9 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Absolutely, it would be bad to loose one of the extra players at camp through waivers. Deslaurier, Delarose, Peca, Hudon, Agostino, Froese, Shinkaruk, McCarron, Chaput, Ouellet, Lernout, Valiev have to clear waivers

The will need to trade at least two Forwards and one Defenseman by the end of camp

There is no fear of losing the vast majority of those via waivers.

Hudon and peca wont be waived

De la rose and McCarron are the only ones who might and even that is no guarantee

They arent trading three players.

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

There is no fear of losing the vast majority of those via waivers.

Hudon and peca wont be waived

De la rose and McCarron are the only ones who might and even that is no guarantee

They arent trading three players.

Because the Canadiens are weaker on D, I think that they will go with 8 D, and only on extra Forward

So fat at camp, there seem to be better options than Delarose and McCarron. 

If they keep Deslaurier up again, #25 and #34 should be dealt for draft picks instead of risking loosing them through waivers

McCarron may clear, but I am not sure about that

19 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Because the Canadiens are weaker on D, I think that they will go with 8 D, and only on extra Forward

So fat at camp, there seem to be better options than Delarose and McCarron. 

If they keep Deslaurier up again, #25 and #34 should be dealt for draft picks instead of risking loosing them through waivers

McCarron may clear, but I am not sure about that

What teams are going to give draft picks for them, when they know they (and many others) will be on waivers soon?

Remember that anyone claimed on waivers will have to be on the NHL roster of the team claiming him, you can't claim someone to send them to your AHL team. 

14 minutes ago, habs#4,9,10,33 said:

To start season before Weber back in...

Mete    Juulsen 

Alzer     Petry 

Benn     Reilly 

I have both kids as our top pairing over the slower Alzer abd Petry. With the younger and faster NHL can they both sustain constant Elite pressure from other teams top lines?

Wasn't impressed with either Mete or Juulsen (in small amount I have seen so far) vs a minor league Devils team. A top pairing of those two kids would be ripped apart by top line on every other NHL team.

I am leaning towards Mete should be in AHL to start the year.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

What teams are going to give draft picks for them, when they know they (and many others) will be on waivers soon?

Remember that anyone claimed on waivers will have to be on the NHL roster of the team claiming him, you can't claim someone to send them to your AHL team. 

Islanders, Flames?, Ducks, Penguins?, Black Hawks

Rose should of been our 3rd line checking center by now. This guy looked so good when he first came into the league, we sent him down to the AHL and man did our development team mess this kid up. 5 years now hes been in our system, if he can't crack this years team it looks like he is a full time AHL player.

48 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Islanders, Flames?, Ducks, Penguins?, Black Hawks

You didn't answer the question. 

Why are teams going to give up draft picks for borderline NHLers, when there are going to be dozens of borderline NHLers available for free?

You might be able to trade one if someone is high on that particular guy, but the idea of trading 3-4 guys you were going to put on waivers just doesn't happen at this time of year.

20 minutes ago, Commandant said:

You didn't answer the question. 

Why are teams going to give up draft picks for borderline NHLers, when there are going to be dozens of borderline NHLers available for free?

You might be able to trade one if someone is high on that particular guy, but the idea of trading 3-4 guys you were going to put on waivers just doesn't happen at this time of year.

Because, the same way we got Byron, some teams will wait for the waivers to try to get guys like McCarron and Delarose.

The teams I listed are teams for whom DLR would be an upgrade to their 4th line and Delarose may become a 3rd liner in another organization where he would feel valued.

I just hope MB tries to get something instead of loosing these assets for nothing

15 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Because, the same way we got Byron, some teams will wait for the waivers to try to get guys like McCarron and Delarose.

The teams I listed are teams for whom DLR would be an upgrade to their 4th line and Delarose may become a 3rd liner in another organization where he would feel valued.

I just hope MB tries to get something instead of loosing these assets for nothing

Rose and McCarron are centers playing for a organization that needs centers but in 5 years Rose still can't crack this team for a full time job and in 5 years McCarron has also yet to crack this teams lineup. When teams see this you think they're going to be waiting to get these guys off waivers?

6 minutes ago, Metallica said:

Rose and McCarron are centers playing for a organization that needs centers but in 5 years Rose still can't crack this team for a full time job and in 5 years McCarron has also yet to crack this teams lineup. When teams see this you think they're going to be waiting to get these guys off waivers?

I could see someone taking McCarron due to his size as a fourth line plug. I don't see anyone touching DLR unless someone thinks we handled him improperly and they need a defensive forward.

10 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

I could see someone taking McCarron due to his size as a fourth line plug. I don't see anyone touching DLR unless someone thinks we handled him improperly and they need a defensive forward.

But in today's NHL you don't need size. Its speed and skill that teams look for.

17 minutes ago, Metallica said:

But in today's NHL you don't need size. Its speed and skill that teams look for.

You are thinking like a fan, not like a 50+ GM. If all GMs thought like fans, Vancouver wouldn't have added Roussel and Beagle at free agency.

24 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

You are thinking like a fan, not like a 50+ GM. If all GMs thought like fans, Vancouver wouldn't have added Roussel and Beagle at free agency.

If I am thinking like a gm, I am thinking why is it a guy with size that plays center for a organization that's needs a center with size can't crack the lineup as a 4th line center  in 5 years in the organization. Why would I want him?

15 minutes ago, Metallica said:

If I am thinking like a gm, I am thinking why is it a guy with size that plays center for a organization that's needs a center with size can't crack the lineup as a 4th line center  in 5 years in the organization. Why would I want him?

I’m not saying this to be negative or to argue this specific scenario but you can’t really evaluate how the Habs have handled their centers in the recent past with any consistency. Galchenyuk, for instance,couldn’t crack our lineup as a center while we were in desperate need of one, and now may find himself as a top 6 center on another squad. I’m indifferent towards De La Rose and McCaron, relatively speaking, but it’s certainly possible that another team would handle them differently than the Habs have. Overall, I wouldn’t expect either of them to get claimed should they have to clear waivers. I also wouldn’t be surprised if they did.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Metallica said:

The same organization that refused to play Galchenyuk at centre, traded him for a winger, then put that winger at centre on their top line? Yeah,  i'm going to take a guess they don't know how to evaluate centres. 

I think McCarron clears but if he didn't I would not be surprised. Both the Kings and Ducks are sniffing out for extra forwards. 

10 minutes ago, Metallica said:

Here's a question......how long does one play in an organization system before he is called a bust??? I think 5 years is a long to not to make the NHL as a full time player.

It depends on what was expected of the player. Smith-Pelley, Sekac, Jerabek come to mind.

Draft picks are hard to evaluate for me. I've seen references to ranking systems and a "factor of goals projected by player x" as a figure of merit which is a way to project expectations. 

But time wise, I think 4 to 5 years is about right

11 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

It depends on what was expected of the player. Smith-Pelley, Sekac, Jerabek come to mind.

Draft picks are hard to evaluate for me. I've seen references to ranking systems and a "factor of goals projected by player x" as a figure of merit which is a way to project expectations. 

But time wise, I think 4 to 5 years is about right

You can't put Smith-pelley in there because he has had success in the NHL which is why teams don't give up on him.  Sekac and Jerabek have had success over seas. So teams look at that when it comes to those guys.

I am talking about guys with  no NHL past success and no over seas success and little AHL success, Much like Rose and McCarron.

24 minutes ago, Metallica said:

You can't put Smith-pelley in there because he has had success in the NHL which is why teams don't give up on him.  Sekac and Jerabek have had success over seas. So teams look at that when it comes to those guys.

I am talking about guys with  no NHL past success and no over seas success and little AHL success, Much like Rose and McCarron.

4-5 years, or the time until they need to clear waivers

In the CH's place, a guy like Ouellet, are reclamation projects, i.e. busts, Shinkaruk, Delarose and McCarron (2013 drafts) are about to be branded late-bloomers or busts this season

3 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

DLR will make the team, even if its just in a press box role IMO.

McCarron just isn't that good.  The margin between him and a bunch of other forwards who are on waivers just arent there.  I don't see teams giving us much for him, but maybe someone takes a chance on a former first rounder and gives us like a 5th or 6th.... but again, teams have to ask... do I want to give up a pick for that guy, or do i just claim someone else on waivers who is basically the same talent level. 

This becomes even more clear when its players like Shinkaruk, Valiev, Lernout, etc... those guys are not going to bring draft picks in return.  Teams will either take them, or if they can't get them on waivers, they'll grab someone else who is basically the same.

On 2018-09-18 at 7:05 PM, Commandant said:

DLR will make the team, even if its just in a press box role IMO.

McCarron just isn't that good [...]

[...] Shinkaruk, Valiev, Lernout, etc... those guys are not going to bring draft picks in return. 

That's a good evaluation, I am not arguing your points.

I just want MB to squeeze as much possible from the assets he has to get as many draft picks as possible for next year, or even the year after. If any of the players that will be waived may bring that.

Like Gallagher said in his interview with Stu Cowan: “Fifth-rounders. That’s the round to be in.” . Maybe we get another gem.

Edited by alfredoh2009
Typos

6 hours ago, habs#4,9,10,33 said:

Drouin - Domi - Armia
Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Byron - Peca - Scherbak
Hudon - Plexs - Shaw

our Russian rocket Scherbak, sure needs to show us a lot more!  if He’s thinking of sticking around... I’m hoping for him

If mb could sign a top 6 centre, this team would have some solid forward depth. Lehkonen is missing from this list.  

The garbage fire on defense is another story.

• Like 1