Could our lineup look like this

titanfan

24 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

This is beside the point, but I seem to recall them making a mistake with Ribeiro...keeping him up after training camp and burning a year on his contract by keeping him more than the minimum number of games, then sending him down :rolleyes: Both Fatendresse and Mikey Ribs were hardly cases of exemplary player development, I might add, even if the latter did manage to go on to have a pretty good career after being given away to Dallas.

The right move with Latendresse was staying in junior then going to the AHL but even so, in his final season he was handled improperly. He was on fire in Minnesota handled better then his career got derailed by injury.

Kotkaniemi, he could play this season  but no point aside from wasting a year of ELC. 

Practice lines:

Tatar - Danault - Gallagher

Byron - Domi - Lehkonen

Drouin - Kotkaniemi - Armia

Chaput - Plekanec - Scherbak

DLR - Peca - Hudon

Agostino

Mete - Petry

Alzner - Benn

Reilly - Juulsen

Ouellet - Despres

Price

Niemi

Lindgren

I guess Chaput and DLR are facing off for the 4LW role and Scherbak and Hudon are facing off for the 4RW role? Probably will keep up Peca if/when Kotkaniemi goes back to Europe? Looks like no chance for Alzner and Benn to be going anywhere. Got the feeling they see the RD as weaker than the LD and that's why Despres is getting an extra look.

I would not be shocked if Mete and Juulsen go back to the AHL since they are waiver exempt, maybe not immediately but eventually. Agostino and Chaput I don't see staying up. No way should Hudon be going to the AHL. That leaves Scherbak and DLR, and honestly I'd put Scherbak in Laval and risk waivers. Despres is terrible and Ouellet really earned a spot but I could see them going the other way on that one. Lindgren of course will be heading to Laval.

Seeing Hudon on that fifth line bugs me though. What the heck is this roster when Shaw returns? Way too many left wingers.

9 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Practice lines:

Byron - Domi - Lehkonen

DLR - Peca - Hudon

Agostino

Mete - Petry

Alzner - Benn

Reilly - Juulsen

Ouellet - Despres

Price

Niemi

Lindgren

I guess Chaput and DLR are facing off for the 4LW role and Scherbak and Hudon are facing off for the 4RW role? Probably will keep up Peca if/when Kotkaniemi goes back to Europe? Looks like no chance for Alzner and Benn to be going anywhere. Got the feeling they see the RD as weaker than the LD and that's why Despres is getting an extra look.

I would not be shocked if Mete and Juulsen go back to the AHL since they are waiver exempt, maybe not immediately but eventually. Agostino and Chaput I don't see staying up. No way should Hudon be going to the AHL. That leaves Scherbak and DLR, and honestly I'd put Scherbak in Laval and risk waivers. Despres is terrible and Ouellet really earned a spot but I could see them going the other way on that one. Lindgren of course will be heading to Laval.

Seeing Hudon on that fifth line bugs me though. What the heck is this roster when Shaw returns? Way too many left wingers.

Good analysis.

That D is such a tire fire...

Tatar Danault Gallagher

Drouin Kotkamania Lehkonan

Hudon Plex Byron

Domi Peca Armia

Scherbak

DeLaRose

Reilly Petry

mete juulsen

Alzner Ouellet

Benn

Price

NiemI

IR

delauriers

weber

shaw

schlemko

Forwards

-I think Domi will have to play himself up the line up now

-done away with the classic 4th line energy/hitting line

-4 lines that can actually play hockey.

-why break up TDG- playing well

-DKL looked great against the leafs... if they match that performance tonight vs OTT I’d like them to start the season as line as well.. (if Kotkaniemi is staying up then he better be utilized like he has in this training camp... on a top line with our better players. All indications from CJ are that he is being thrown into the fire)

-Hudon had great underlying analytics playing with plex LY and Byron complimentes ANY line he plays on. Added benefit is they are a duo on the PK

-Domi and Peca bring speed and Armia can bring the net presence that compliments the line.

Defence

still on the fence if Mete should play with Petry and Reilly with Juulsen

reason is i think petry and Reilly play very similar games.

Benn has been the worst of the group by far.

He will be waived or traded for pucks in the near future if the habs brass has seriously changed their ideology moving forward. He doesn’t fit in!

There is ZERO chance either of Juulsen and Mete go down LOL any suggestion would be asinine regardless of age and waiver eligibility. They are our 2 best in form defenders coming out of camp outside maybe Reilly who has benn great as well!

*dissapointing for Chaput and Agostino has they both had good camps.

23 players 

4 x IR

lots of decisions postponed for a later date!

On 2018-09-27 at 2:16 PM, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Kotkaniemi, he could play this season  but no point aside from wasting a year of ELC. 

He has to get used to smaller rinks sometime, he would have a good break from season for world juniors, then after new year its not like the Habs will be aiming for a long playoff run, so should be lessened pressure to win, or criticism when he forgets his man in front of net for 10th time, or trys something high risk and fails.

Am a bit concerned that he seems tall but quite thin, played wing last year and still too young to be thrown to the wolves in a likely poor year for Habs.

Anyways, i think most are fine giving him 9 game try out at least, same as Sergachev. He was bigger kid but still got run over a couple times before returning to junior.

He has merited his spot on the roster to start the season plain and simple. Its not even a question at this point of whether or not he’s on the team more so then if they continue to use him in a top 6 role or bottom 6... personally the first 9 games will be very telling and perfect to assess his future for the year and on this team...

matthews Tavares kadri rematch

crosby malkin

kopitar carter (very interested to see his performance against bigger heavier centres in these 2)

crosby malkin rematch

Larkin neilson

Schenn o’reilly

duchene white

monahan backlund

those 4 straight games alone against the leagues elite will be ever so telling and pretty much set in motion the rest of his season.

this team is already super young up front. Why would we hope that a bunch of our team pretty much up filled with players 25 and under give or take... fail?  Stupidity i say...

Use him in the top 6 and if he’s not ready he’s not ready! 

3 hours ago, DON said:

He has to get used to smaller rinks sometime, he would have a good break from season for world juniors, then after new year its not like the Habs will be aiming for a long playoff run, so should be lessened pressure to win, or criticism when he forgets his man in front of net for 10th time, or trys something high risk and fails.

Am a bit concerned that he seems tall but quite thin, played wing last year and still too young to be thrown to the wolves in a likely poor year for Habs.

Anyways, i think most are fine giving him 9 game try out at least, same as Sergachev. He was bigger kid but still got run over a couple times before returning to junior.

I'd imagine he'll go back to Finland. 

Assat is last in the league, but i guess it's more about Kotkaniemi putting on size. 

I think the main difference between Sergachev and Kotkaniemi is IQ.

Serg showed good things but at times looked completely lost out there but Kotkaniemi you can tell plays a thinking mans game. Will he make mistakes absolutely but I think he is just so smart that he will figure out what needs to be done.

I dunno about that. Sergachev is likely to become a top pairing all-star d-man and pulled off some sweet moves as a rookie. Took Markov till his 5th or 6th season before he got 40pts.

Even Erik Karlsson only hit 40pts in his 2nd year.

I’m talking about the difference in seeing their two preseasons they had with Montreal respectively.

No doubt Serg had some sweet moves but his “controller unplugged” moments were very noticeable as well. I haven’t noticed this with Kotkaniemi.

• 1 year later...
On 9/28/2018 at 10:54 PM, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Practice lines:

Byron - Domi - Lehkonen

DLR - Peca - Hudon

Agostino

Mete - Petry

Alzner - Benn

Reilly - Juulsen

Ouellet - Despres

Price

Niemi

I thought I would dig up this old thread and update it with today's lineup at practice:

Lekhonen - Domi - Suzuki 

Hudon - Kotkaniemi - Armia

Cousins - Thompson - Weal

Chiarot - Weber
Mete - Petry
Reilly - Fleury
Kulak - Folin

Price
Kinkaid

I am curious to see how the new and improved Hudon does with Kotka. I alos hope Domi-Suzuki can find chemistry and that that will continue when Drouin is back. Finally, the Habs D is so much better this year.