Me too, kind of compensates for the Romanov pick

You don't like Romanov's play?

Must of caught their eye at U-18s?

Edited by DON
2nd thought

11 minutes ago, DON said:

You don't like Romanov's play?

Must of caught their eye at U-18s?

I don't know much about him, from the comments I figured he may have been available later.

I read he had a great turnament but I didn't watch him play

Iy was more a comment in picking Oloffson who was ranked higher

16 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Overall, not very happy with this draft. 

But hey, time will tell.

I am ok with this draft, last year's didn't seem like a great year for the Habs but their prospects seem to trending up

I think that the Pacioretty contract or trade will define the Hab's summer

I still hope for an UFA signing, one of the LDs available

3 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I am ok with this draft, last year's didn't seem like a great year for the Habs but their prospects seem to trending up

I think that the Pacioretty contract or trade will define the Hab's summer

I still hope for an UFA signing, one of the LDs available

We've had drafts that looked great which ended up average and drafts that looked average which ended up great. You never know how players actually develop. 

But with so many reaches, if they end up busting it is on the scouts.

21 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Overall, not very happy with this draft. 

But hey, time will tell.

Important to keep in mind.

This is the same group of GMs that agreed to give Vegas a Stanley Cup finalist roster. They don’t really know what they’re doing.

5 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

But with so many reaches, if they end up busting it is on the scouts.

My head is buried in trying to find the scouting reports for all of the picks but I don't think there were that many reaches.  I had Ylonen at 38 so I don't think that was a reach.  Mironov was and I'd say that Gorniak and Houde were as well but as later-round picks, I don't mind when they go off the board in general (though I don't like the Houde pick).  The rest were either fallers or picked somewhere close to their rankings range.

Not gonna pretend I know much about our picks from Romanov down... 

but I’m of the belief that our fans would be complaining either way!

we draft koky and we complain it’s not Hughes, draft Hughes we complain it wasn’t zadina, draft zadina we complain it wasn’t tkachuck and so on and so forth...

He was never gonna get it right...

Heres hoping Romanov turns into Andrei Markov 2.0...  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

My head is buried in trying to find the scouting reports for all of the picks but I don't think there were that many reaches.  I had Ylonen at 38 so I don't think that was a reach.  Mironov was and I'd say that Gorniak and Houde were as well but as later-round picks, I don't mind when they go off the board in general (though I don't like the Houde pick).  The rest were either fallers or picked somewhere close to their rankings range.

Kotkaniemi is a reach for me. I know he's a late bloomer but I did not like the pick at 3. Maybe this ends up like Dubois/Puj and i'm wrong but I would not have picked him in my Top 5.

Romanov, Harris, and Gorniak... good luck to the scouts.

I liked Hillis and Fonstad picks though. 

4 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

draft zadina we complain it wasn’t tkachuck and so on and so forth...

Yeah that wouldn't be the case. 

12 minutes ago, zumpano21 said:

Important to keep in mind.

This is the same group of GMs that agreed to give Vegas a Stanley Cup finalist roster. They don’t really know what they’re doing.

Very wise words.

These GMs are supposed to be the elite, the best hockey minds on earth. In fact a huge percentage of them are Good Old Boys, hired by ignorant owners due to contacts and schmoozing, and aren't any brighter or better-informed than some of the people on this site. In some cases, markedly less so, because they allow personal biases and ego to get in the way of winning.

As for the draft, it is usually a mistake to be either too excited or too angry. The single biggest problem with discourse around the draft is the tone of certainty that informs it. Machine is quite right to note that this is mostly guesswork, and a whole whack of things can go either right or wrong for each of these picks over the next 3-4 years. As Mr. Price once said: chill.

• Upvote 1

I think the opposite... the top 2 available C in the draft both went in the top 5.... and that’s usually the case as C and D are the most valuable assets to attain... kokaniemi was arguably the best C in the entire U18 and led his team to gold... is it so far fetched that his stock dropped because of his knee injury?

i for one think the habs HAD to draft a C as pretty much all no. 1 centres in this league are top 10/15 draft picks... I believe we’d be very hard pressed to find 5 that are not!

10 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Very wise words.

These GMs are supposed to be the elite, the best hockey minds on earth. In fact a huge percentage of them are Good Old Boys, hired by ignorant owners due to contacts and schmoozing, and aren't any brighter or better-informed than some of the people on this site. In some cases, markedly less so, because they allow personal biases and ego to get in the way of winning.

As for the draft, it is usually a mistake to be either too excited or too angry. The single biggest problem with discourse around the draft is the tone of certainty that informs it. Machine is quite right to note that this is mostly guesswork, and a whole whack of things can go either right or wrong for each of these picks over the next 3-4 years. As Mr. Price once said: chill.

Haha!

As we enter the dawn of AI, we still have GMs talking about character and intangibles.

Any team that’s isn’t exploring AI for roster development is a team destined to lose in perpetuity.

10 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

My favourite moment of this draft will be GM WizKid Kyle Dubas looking so smitten with himself for trading down, only to take a guy who might have been available in the third round with his first round pick because he knew him in Soo.

You had Sandin that low?  I saw lots of mocks with him as a 1st rounder.

4 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

You had Sandin that low?  I saw lots of mocks with him as a 1st rounder.

Commandant had him late first round. I didn't see it from what I watched. Maybe he was well liked enough to go then but with the way the draft was going, I could see him sliding.