2018 NHL Entry Draft Thread

dlbalr

14 minutes ago, Habinator33 said:

Fake news on the pacioretty to san jose rumor apparently according to friedman and others.

Someone on Twitter was saying that Bergevin caught wind that SJ was gonna just trade him to Boston. I'm sure that's just a reference to the Hoffman deal, but, would be funny if true that's why it died.

29 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

The funny thing about the Patches tweets are 50% say fake and 50% say real both from "credible" sources

I guess Bergevin was talking to Wilson, then spent 10+ minutes talking to Walsh, and once he was done talking to Walsh everyone began reporting it wasn't true.

Read between the lines I guess?

(I mean that more in confusion, not in sarcasm)

A summary of all of the trades involving any of Montreal's picks this year:

- Acquired the 38th pick from Chicago as part of the Phillip Danault/Dale Weise trade in 2016.
- Acquired the 56th pick from Toronto as part of the Tomas Plekanec trade.
- Acquired the 62nd pick from Washington as part of the Lars Eller trade in 2016.
- Traded the 62nd pick to Edmonton for the 71st and 133rd picks.
- Acquired the 97th pick from Los Angeles for Torrey Mitchell.  It had previously been dealt in 2017 for Dwight King.
- Acquired the 102nd pick from Edmonton for Al Montoya.
- Traded the 102nd pick to San Jose for the 123rd and 139th picks.
- Acquired the 122nd pick from Winnipeg for Joe Morrow.
- Traded the 122nd pick to Calgary for a 2019 fourth round pick.
- Traded the 139th pick to Chicago for a 2019 fifth round pick.
- Traded the 159th pick to Detroit for Steve Ott in 2017.
- Traded the 190th pick to Philadelphia for their 2017 seventh round pick (Cayden Primeau).
- Acquired the 190th pick from Philadelphia for Montreal's 2019 seventh round pick.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

My head is buried in trying to find the scouting reports for all of the picks but I don't think there were that many reaches.  I had Ylonen at 38 so I don't think that was a reach.  Mironov was and I'd say that Gorniak and Houde were as well but as later-round picks, I don't mind when they go off the board in general (though I don't like the Houde pick).  The rest were either fallers or picked somewhere close to their rankings range.

Disagree...when they took their first two 2nd round picks they had a whole bunch of guys sliding from the first round too.  So, if you had him at 38 and 5-8 guys were sliding out of the first then there were over 10 guys ranked ahead of him (that's a lot for an early 2nd round pick).  He might be great BUT it's a reach and bad value for the pick.  The Romanov pick is just brutal as a reach.  

Then, trading down repeatedly was a mistake...they should have been packaging their 2nds to move up into the first round.  I also simply have no faith in the org to develop players so the added late round picks are likely a waste.

24 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

A summary of all of the trades involving any of Montreal's picks this year:

- Traded the 190th pick to Philadelphia for their 2017 seventh round pick (Cayden Primeau).

I like how they stole a Primeau with a Philly pick!

5 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Shocked at there being no trades. We still have too many wingers and too many defensemen. 

Ya, someone said it earlier in the week, and Im feeling it now.. I feel like we already missed the playoffs..

Tavares & deHaan or bust!!

As is often the case, we're already seeing some development camp invites for undrafted players.  Early invites are:

LW Joel Teasdale (I'd have put a lot of money on this one)

G Samuel Harvey

Drummondville centre Nicolas Guay was also invited but it appears he's going to Detroit's camp instead.

Overall a meh draft in my opinion. I was fine with taking Kotkaniemi. I my wasn’t the greatest value pick, but it addresses a need, and I think it will turn out to be a good one in the end.

I’m fine with Ylonen at 35, though not in love with it. Time will tell here.

Really don’t like the Romanov reach though at all. Could have had him in the third round I feel. We could have drafted a centre like Akil Thomas I think, or d man McIssac. That would have been a solid first three picks. 

Liked picking up Olofsson, as well as Hillis, McShane and Fonstad.

Houde looks like a wasted pick to me, and Harris looks like a project that I can’t assess. Same with Gorniak and Stanley.

I just don’t feel like we hit the home run we needed in the early going. But I hope I’m wrong. I look at Detroit and the Islanders first 3 picks and I’m jealous. I really hope these prospects prove me wrong or we have a dark future.

• Upvote 1