Sign in to follow this  
dlbalr

2018 NHL Entry Draft Thread

According to their Hayton pick, Arizona easily could have taken Kotkaniemi if they had the chance. 

8 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Hey when MB finally gets fired, our next GM will probably be Dorian.

:lol: The sad thing is, I can well see it happening

6 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

:lol: The sad thing is, I can well see it happening

Beyond sad....and I wouldn't even be surprised either.  An owner with a spine and a clue would be nice to end the cycle of stupidity with both GMs and coaches!

I'm guessing Lou makes a deal with one of these 1st rounders. He's still in "impress Tavares" mode, and I expect he'll deal for some help now...

... like Pacioretty :D

17 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

Thank you. There was absolutely no sense of consensus for Zadina at 3rd for a month before he draft. I think the sens should have taken him, but the fact that he went 6th says at least something. 

I think Kotkaniemi will turn out to be a Dubois like pick. Not popular at the time, but he turns into a two way 60+ point center for us by 2020. 

Quite honestly he better be more than a 60 point center. That’s a rather safe assessment. 

So, islander won the draft? So many great players for them to take 

Damn. Was hoping Dellandrea would drop.

• Upvote 1

Ty to Dallas... I'm a huge fan of him. That's a leap but I don't blame them. He was my favourite centre in the draft.

Islanders with a horseshoe up their ass being able to pick Wahlstrom and Dobson. Lamoriello licking his chops at resigning JT

46 minutes ago, Scott462 said:

Zadina is dropping like a hot rock.

Will and commandant looking good right now. 

Looks like MB couldn’t work out a deal with Arizona because they would have taken Kotkaniemi.

Thanks for the shout out 

I'm sure Zadina will be a fine player, I just never liked him as the #3 overall to the Habs. 

Bergevin is reportedly trying to move up into the 1st round by putting his earliest 2nd rounders in play.

33 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Quite honestly he better be more than a 60 point center.

My gut feeling is that he won't be....there's this inner voice telling me he will top out as a 'larger Plekanec' productionwise at best.

12 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Bergevin is reportedly trying to move up into the 1st round by putting his earliest 2nd rounders in play.

Good. Some solid players here.

57 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

The results speak for themselves, don't they? 

The Montreal Canadiens are a cellar dweller with an nearly bare cupboard prospect-wise...I will not 'chill'.

No argument from me

Peace sbhatt ::surrender:

After hearing Timmins mention the ACL surgery Kotkaniemi had over a year ago, something makes much more sense now.  He had a below average first half of the season, then came on in the second half.  Some draft guides/gurus were questioning his skating ability, but that was probably indicative of the after effects of the surgery, since it takes at least 6-12 months for a full recovery. We've all seen pro players go through that surgery and they always play at less than 100% for the last half of that period.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

My gut feeling is that he won't be....there's this inner voice telling me he will top out as a 'larger prime Plekanec' at best.

Yeah it's a little underwhelming at #3, you know there are stars on the board.  

13 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

My gut feeling is that he won't be....there's this inner voice telling me he will top out as a 'larger Plekanec' productionwise at best.

Plekanec scored 70 points in a season. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Don't... Just sit and take 2 players

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Don't... Just sit and take 2 players

Ya, of course. 

... ... ... but Veleno tho. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

No argument from me

Peace sbhatt ::surrender:

I get it, we’re all going to have different feelings this early on. Kotkaniemi is definitely earlier than expected. But this is a young player in the draft year who just produced against veteran men. I’ll going against sbahtt (respectfully lol) and say I feel really good about the guy. This coming from a guy quite critical of Bergevin.

7 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

I get it, we’re all going to have different feelings this early on. Kotkaniemi is definitely earlier than expected. But this is a young player in the draft year who just produced against veteran men. I’ll going against sbahtt (respectfully lol) and say I feel really good about the guy. This coming from a guy quite critical of Bergevin.

Yeah I really don't know much about him so it makes sense to be positive at this point.  The thing is I haven't heard much talk about a crazy high ceiling for this guy.  Like are we more excited about him than we were about Sergachev right when he was picked?  At #3 you'd think we would be.

22 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Plekanec scored 70 points in a season. 

Sorry, let me be more specific: average Plekanec, not 'peak' Plekanec. 

34 minutes ago, habscout said:

After hearing Timmins mention the ACL surgery Kotkaniemi had over a year ago, something makes much more sense now.  He had a below average first half of the season, then came on in the second half.  Some draft guides/gurus were questioning his skating ability, but that was probably indicative of the after effects of the surgery, since it takes at least 6-12 months for a full recovery. We've all seen pro players go through that surgery and they always play at less than 100% for the last half of that period.  

Is it just me, or is Timmins a sucker for the player who is undervalued due to medical issues? Kostitsyn, Galy, now this. Not a criticism, more of an observation.

5 minutes ago, Neech said:

Yeah I really don't know much about him so it makes sense to be positive at this point.  The thing is I haven't heard much talk about a crazy high ceiling for this guy.  Like are we more excited about him than we were about Sergachev right when he was picked?  At #3 you'd think we would be.

I think he has a higher floor. I feel confident he will be at the bottom a top 6 center, that’s why I’m ok. He also has the ability to develop and become the 70 point center we need. Don’t personally feel like he’ll ever approach 80. A not quite Kopitar at peak, a plex type floor (obviously anyone can bust though).