Max Pacioretty Watch

11 minutes ago, Link67 said:

Nope, not a chance, I chuckled when everyone was going on about how good Dallas did in the UFA market last summer but I knew Hanzal was going to be a dud who was now overpaid and struggle to hit 40 points, there are multiple posts on here somewhere by me last summer where I reiterate that.

I don't like it, but if you attach Shaw in a trade for him, I'd pull the trigger 

52 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I hope you're right about ROR.

As for Spezza, yes, it would be a low-cost move, and however he feels about Montreal, no other franchise would give him such a great opportunity to play big minutes and prove he can still handle a top-6 role. 

Dallas is... odd. There was a ton of talk he was done as a centre but still took 747 faceoffs, third most on the team, for a 55.8% rate. That said he's "done" offensively which is likely more why they moved him to the wing. Hanzal was hurt for half of the season while Benn played a lot of centre. In a pinch they can play Seguin/Benn/Faksa. But they would clearly prefer to run Tavares/Seguin/Faksa with Benn, Radulov, Shore, and Janmark on the wing. Spezza likely can't fit that situation. He should probably just end his career in Ottawa. Hanzal... was a bad signing.

I kinda like the idea of getting Spezza for a couple of Years! True that his numbers weren't great, but he was only averaging 13 minutes per game! Any chance that if they play him 16-17 minutes per game he could produce 50 points for 2 or 3 seasons until our young guys are ready?

46 minutes ago, Habsfan said:

I kinda like the idea of getting Spezza for a couple of Years! True that his numbers weren't great, but he was only averaging 13 minutes per game! Any chance that if they play him 16-17 minutes per game he could produce 50 points for 2 or 3 seasons until our young guys are ready?

Well, he just had 78game season and had all of 28points.

Another 35 year old 77game season with similar 26pts by name of Plekanec.

I feel bad for Pacioretty, the guy has scored 30+ the last what 5 years. He has one bad year and the media in Montreal and some fans are runing him out of town. Reminds me of what Price went through when Halak was out playing him and everyone wanted Price traded. Then you get traded but doesn't go through because your agent couldn't get a deal.

If he is on this team at the start of the season i hope he use's all this as motivation.

39 minutes ago, Metallica said:

I feel bad for Pacioretty, the guy has scored 30+ the last what 5 years. He has one bad year and the media in Montreal and some fans are runing him out of town. Reminds me of what Price went through when Halak was out playing him and everyone wanted Price traded. Then you get traded but doesn't go through because your agent couldn't get a deal.

If he is on this team at the start of the season i hope he use's all this as motivation.

Is simply business. He knows exactly why he has been on market. Small cost to pay for making millions.

He knows he has bullseye on him because Habs need centre and LH d-man more than a winger, he will need new big contract next year but he isn't getting younger and he is most valuable & realistic trade chip, aside from Gallagher or young prospects.

(*fans and media have been on his case every year, when he doesn't score and goes cold at times, like all goal scorers do)

46 minutes ago, Metallica said:

I hope the Canadiens extend him and keep him.

I do not want to see the same happen to the next captain (Gallagher? Weber?)

I also think that Patches can become a better captain after being through this

5 minutes ago, DON said:

He knows he has bullseye on him because Habs need centre and LH d-man more than a winger, he will need new big contract next year but he isn't getting younger and he is most valuable & realistic trade chip

I see the logic in this line or argument, but when it is put in the Canadiens context, given that they are at least 2 years away from having an uptrend team... it just doesn't add up for me

I am  almost certain that any return we may get for Pacioretty will be far less that what is needed and a loss in goals/points we will not get back

It will not improve this team

10 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I see the logic in this line or argument, but when it is put in the Canadiens context, given that they are at least 2 years away from having an uptrend team... it just doesn't add up for me

I am  almost certain that any return we may get for Pacioretty will be far less that what is needed and a loss in goals/points we will not get back

It will not improve this team

Maybe not so much for short run, as the team is unlikely to plug all the holes in the next week. But, if can get a young up and coming centre or young LH d-man, it would allow some players to play in role they should be (NO Benn on top pairing, No Drouin needed to be top centre (or even a centre), Mete can play 3rd and maybe bit 2nd pairing)

8 hours ago, DON said:

Maybe not so much for short run, as the team is unlikely to plug all the holes in the next week. But, if can get a young up and coming centre or young LH d-man, it would allow some players to play in role they should be (NO Benn on top pairing, No Drouin needed to be top centre (or even a centre), Mete can play 3rd and maybe bit 2nd pairing)

That's is why it does not make sense for me. It is like the "failed" justification given for trading PK for a short term fix to a line-up hole: itndid. It make the team a cup contender

Trading Patches will not make this team a cup contender

But keeping him hakes this team a playoff team and it gives the prospects a chance to grow in a competitive environment not in a loosing (BUF, EDM) environment 

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

That's is why it does not make sense for me. It is like the "failed" justification given for trading PK for a short term fix to a line-up hole: itndid. It make the team a cup contender

Trading Patches will not make this team a cup contender

But keeping him hakes this team a playoff team and it gives the prospects a chance to grow in a competitive environment not in a loosing (BUF, EDM) environment 

How does this team win a cup with same team that hasn't threatened in playoffs for awhile. You might of heard, the team has sent zero forwards to an all star games since goofy 100 year celebration year quite a while ago.

Might be an indication they need upgrade up front and when you lack any top four LH d-men, it doesn't bode well for upcoming season...unless you feel Bozak, Thorton or Stastny and Enstrom, or Orpik are the answer in free agency.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DON said:

...unless you feel Bozak, Thorton or Stastny and Enstrom, or Orpik are the answer in

I can live with the current forward group knowing we lack talent upfront 

Like I've written before, I would go for a LD UFA to play with Petry and unleash his offensive talent : I.Cole, C. DeHaan, J.Moore, T.Hickey

What Alzner was supposed to be. There are quite a few 28-29 year old LD UFAs available that would be an upgrade. Weber and one of Valiev, Reilly, Mete could the take 2nd pairing assignments and the overall défense performance should improve

Edited by alfredoh2009
Typo

1 hour ago, DON said:

How does this team win a cup with same team that hasn't threatened in playoffs for awhile. You might of heard, the team has sent zero forwards to an all star games since goofy 100 year celebration year quite a while ago.

Might be an indication they need upgrade up front and when you lack any top four LH d-men, it doesn't bode well for upcoming season...unless you feel Bozak, Thorton or Stastny and Enstrom, or Orpik are the answer in free agency.

The rebuild should be embraced so we can move forward with real, young talent. All it takes is a couple of years to build something that can can last for a decade.

UFAs are basically heroin. Quick high but this team will crash and burn regardless of who we sign. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, zumpano21 said:

UFAs are basically heroin. Quick high but this team will crash and burn regardless of who we sign. 

Just one last fix for the road... must have one more :wub: 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, zumpano21 said:

The rebuild should be embraced so we can move forward with real, young talent. All it takes is a couple of years to build something that can can last for a decade.

So what happens when the plan is to rebuild and 10 other teams secretly adopt that same plan as well? Will it be a short term solution for all ten of those teams? To actually be successful? I can think of many teams who didn’t turn it around in a couple of years after years of drafting, and trading for, top end young talent. Let’s say Edmonton, for one. 

21 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

So what happens when the plan is to rebuild and 10 other teams secretly adopt that same plan as well? Will it be a short term solution for all ten of those teams? To actually be successful? I can think of many teams who didn’t turn it around in a couple of years after years of drafting, and trading for, top end young talent. Let’s say Edmonton, for one. 

Cleveland Browns are best example of drafting high can mean zero if management is out to lunch. Florida, Carolina, Columbus, Buffalo, Arizona are prime NHL examples, aside from Oilers.

But, if Price, Pacioretty and Weber are back to normal for the year, I cant see the Habs being low in standings again next spring.

1 hour ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

These are different questions and belong more in the realm of - do we have the right management, coaching and preparation for our young players?  I hope we do but recent history might say otherwise.

I see no other path to success. We are nowhere near Vegas or Washington level hockey. We will not get there by a retool or some big name UFA.

4 minutes ago, zumpano21 said:

These are different questions and belong more in the realm of - do we have the right management, coaching and preparation for our young players?  I hope we do but recent history might say otherwise.

I see no other path to success. We are nowhere near Vegas or Washington level hockey. We will not get there by a retool or some big name UFA.

You’re definitely correct but I connect the two. At this point, with a draft pick like Kotkaniemi at 3rd overall I’m believing more and more that we’ll have to suffer at least one more unsuccessful season, without a doubt. Although there is still the whole free agent period, which is how I would attempt to help the team out for next year. 

With that being said, I’ve always seen the rebuild argument being used in some firm way to argue that we’ll will certainly ice a competitive team in a few years through said method. 

Until this very season, I’ve pretty much gone into

every season as a fan with some hope that we have a chance at success. I think having had Price for many years is part of that. 

With that being said, if it’s going to be guaranteed that we suffer for a year or two without the possibility of contending, I’d like to know that the management and coaching staff in place is going to create something that will definitely be successful in a few years.

I understand that it may not work that way, but it’s perhaps why I’m never a huge fan of the rebuilding mentality. I’d rather try to keep some veterans who can at least hold the fort until the new age comes in. 

I think something like 7x7 or 6x7.5 would

be reasonable for him. Neither of them were being fully reasonable. 

8 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Rumour by Manarino is that the Kings deal fell through because he wanted 8x8 and the Kings wanted 6x6. No agreement meant the deal was canceled. 

8 x 8?  Jeezuz....

23 minutes ago, JGC21 said:

8 x 8?  Jeezuz....

That's one reason why I think trading him is the best idea. I believe he will be out for the absolute  maximum contract possible, and he will be doing so right at the moment where he enters the back-9 of his career. He might have a couple of years of near-peak production left in him, and after that he's basically Rick Nash. This is the kind of contract you can take on if you're a contender and want him to be the piece that puts you over the top. It's not a contract you should take on if you are at least three years from contending.

• Upvote 1