Max Pacioretty Watch

29 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

That's one reason why I think trading him is the best idea. I believe he will be out for the absolute  maximum contract possible, and he will be doing so right at the moment where he enters the back-9 of his career. He might have a couple of years of near-peak production left in him, and after that he's basically Rick Nash. This is the kind of contract you can take on if you're a contender and want him to be the piece that puts you over the top. It's not a contract you should take on if you are at least three years from contending.

Or,  if we consider an alternative, we may just keep him now at his current salary and trade him at the trade deadline for a better return that we got for Plekanec (a prospect D, a bottom 6 forward and a 1st round pick based on the consensus draft ranking)

That would be a good compromise, and it would get the CH to develop their prospects for another year.

11 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Or,  if we consider an alternative, we may just keep him now at his current salary and trade him at the trade deadline for a better return that we got for Plekanec (a prospect D, a bottom 6 forward and a 1st round pick based on the consensus draft ranking)

That would be a good compromise, and it would get the CH to develop their prospects for another year.

Yeah. On a 'gut' level, I want him traded now just because I viscerally want changes to the team and want to see some gaping holes filled. But rationally speaking, it's a question of maximizing return, and if that means waiting until the deadline, then so be it.

13 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Yeah. On a 'gut' level, I want him traded now just because I viscerally want changes to the team and want to see some gaping holes filled. But rationally speaking, it's a question of maximizing return, and if that means waiting until the deadline, then so be it.

Feels like maximizing the return is a team he wants to play for that will give him his 8x8. The rumoured returns for Pacioretty from LA were impressive and that's because of the extension.

If it is just a UFA deadline deal it'll be nothing like a sign and trade. And with this much of a leak, I think it'll be done sooner than later. Paul Fenton got updated trade lists for some of the top Wild players like Neiderriter and Spurgeon. I don't think we get either but I bet he will end up the ideal trading partner. New GM, makes a splash, we get a package with Zucker back.

46 minutes ago, Commandant said:

The Sabres need wingers.  We really should just trade them max + lehkonen or something  for O'Reilly

It's honestly the best fit for both. Buffalo likes former Habs captains, needs a left winger, Montreal is starving for a centre, currently likes players with awful attitudes.

20 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

It's honestly the best fit for both. Buffalo likes former Habs captains, needs a left winger, Montreal is starving for a centre, currently likes players with awful attitudes.

Uhhhhhhh I am pretty sure, upgrading Attitude and Character is Bergevin's #1 Priority this summer.

Haven't you been paying attention!!??

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

The Sabres need wingers.  We really should just trade them max + lehkonen or something  for O'Reilly

I don’t know why we need to add lekhonan IF the trade is made before July 1 and we pick up his bonus payment.  For Trochek, I’d add Gallagher to the deal, but for a 55-60 point centre like ROR who I think the sabres need and want to move, I wouldn’t want to potentially be giving up 50 goals and 90-100 points.

49 minutes ago, Link67 said:

Uhhhhhhh I am pretty sure, upgrading Attitude and Character is Bergevin's #1 Priority this summer.

Haven't you been paying attention!!??

Aren’t you perfectly on board with that? 

4 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I don’t know why we need to add lekhonan IF the trade is made before July 1 and we pick up his bonus payment.  For Trochek, I’d add Gallagher to the deal, but for a 55-60 point centre like ROR who I think the sabres need and want to move, I wouldn’t want to potentially be giving up 50 goals and 90-100 points.

1) Centres are more valuable than wingers

2) Pacioretty is a rental right now

That's why we have to add

So to the two people who don’t like my most recent post, am I wrong with what I said somewhere? 

14 minutes ago, Commandant said:

1) Centres are more valuable than wingers

2) Pacioretty is a rental right now

That's why we have to add

And buffalo wants to get rid of ROR and trying to avoid paying him his bonus - that warrants a discount.

3 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

And buffalo wants to get rid of ROR and trying to avoid paying him his bonus - that warrants a discount.

I've already given one

You arent getting him one for one for Pacioretty

5 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

You do have a valid point, but paying 7.5 million for them, isn't enough in this case, firstly O'Rielly is a better overall player than Pacioretty. If he played here we would appreciate his hard nose approach to the game, his constant work around the net, his ability to take on other teams top players, his ability to use his body as one would hope when a player is that big and strong. Add to that he plays a position more valuable than the one Pacioretty does, and you have a situation where Pacioretty alone is simply not enough. It is not all that far off, but it still needs some extras to make it happen.

9 minutes ago, Link67 said:

You do have a valid point, but paying 7.5 million for them, isn't enough in this case, firstly O'Rielly is a better overall player than Pacioretty. If he played here we would appreciate his hard nose approach to the game, his constant work around the net, his ability to take on other teams top players, his ability to use his body as one would hope when a player is that big and strong. Add to that he plays a position more valuable than the one Pacioretty does, and you have a situation where Pacioretty alone is simply not enough. It is not all that far off, but it still needs some extras to make it happen.

It’s also mainly that Pacioretty only has one year left and O’Reilly has a few years. There’s really no reason Buffalo should make this trade unless something decent is added or Pacioretty signs some sort of extension with them. 

7 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

It’s also mainly that Pacioretty only has one year left and O’Reilly has a few years. There’s really no reason Buffalo should make this trade unless something decent is added or Pacioretty signs some sort of extension with them. 

The contract situation and years left certainly doesn't help equate their value, and lets not forget, we are talking about a major trade between divisional rivals, something which does not happen very often at all.

it is an interesting situation to say the least

52 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I've already given one

You arent getting him one for one for Pacioretty

Correct.. but hopefully the add isn’t Lehks.

Can’t we just toss in Sherbak and a pick. I don’t even care if it’s a first at this point.

4 minutes ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

Correct.. but hopefully the add isn’t Lehks.

Can’t we just toss in Sherbak and a pick. I don’t even care if it’s a first at this point.

No way im touching our firsts after the season we just had

11 minutes ago, Commandant said:

No way im touching our firsts after the season we just had

Normally I’d agree, but adding a center and hopefully signing or trading for a Ld.. have to hope we are not in the lottery next summer

What about Pacioretty, McCarron and a 2nd round pick for O’Reilly?

There’s no way Patches can stay in Montreal after the news leak of the failed LA trade.  The media will eat him alive asking him the same trade questions over and over and over again, and no doubt his game will suffer because of this.  Habs brought this on themselves.

25 minutes ago, JGC21 said:

What about Pacioretty, McCarron and a 2nd round pick for O’Reilly?

There’s no way Patches can stay in Montreal after the news leak of the failed LA trade.  The media will eat him alive asking him the same trade questions over and over and over again, and no doubt his game will suffer because of this.  Habs brought this on themselves.

Im not sure what value McCarron has, if any.  That said the habs should do this

I think the sabres will want more

Pacioretty (extended)

Byron (extended)

McNiven

2nd 2019

O'Reilly (750k ret)

Baptiste (RFA)

I’ve always thought pat hickey was an idiot, but could never make up my mind who was worse, the bandwagon jumper Todd who flips flops like a fish out of water..  Well after his latest article I have to say it’s Hickey.  I can’t beleive the drivel he wrote.  -maxpac showed his sincerity on Really wanting to stay in Montreal because he turned down a deal an extension to the kings???  Really??? Everything else I’ve read suggests maxpac didn’t get the term and $ he wanted - not because he wants to stay in Montreal!!!  He goes on to suggest that Montreal should work out an extension for him !!!   Really????? We already have a crap managemt team, must we also be subjected to hack, clueless, lazy writers????

1 hour ago, l<OV4L3V said:

Why are people so fixated on O'Reilly? that sounds like an awful move. Why not try and land Toews, Trochek or Sam Bennett/Brodie+picks? 

ROR: Realistic acquisition

Toews: Bowman will not trade him

Trochek: Florida is stupid but not that stupid, he won't be traded

Sam Bennett: Got any more Galchenyuk's lying around to get him? Otherwise Calgary will want our first rounder.

This is why trying to get a top six centre is a waste of time right now. Develop one.

1 hour ago, l<OV4L3V said:

Why are people so fixated on O'Reilly? that sounds like an awful move. Why not try and land Toews, Trochek or Sam Bennett/Brodie+picks? 

Toews is on the down part of his career and would cost us too much.

maybe Weber for Toews would make sense if we can sign some UFA Dmen but I dont see the hawks doing that one.