Max Pacioretty Watch

Here we go again...

A report from Radio-Canada stating that Pacioretty asked for a trade partway through last season: https://ici.radio-canada.ca/sports/1120916/max-pacioretty-canadien-demande-a-quitter-montreal-echange

This comes on the heels of Luc Robitaile denying that a deal had been reached with LA at the draft:

To which Pacioretty's agent responded with this:

This is what Eller had to say...

As a friend, I hope Max Pacioretty’s situation is resolved soon. He has shouldered one of the toughest jobs in hockey wearing the C for the CH, taking responsibility and blame for things beyond his control. At the same time being one of the top goal scorers in the game.

He is as committed and cares as much as anyone I’ve ever played with. Any team would be lucky to have him.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Silly season for sure :wacko: The media needs preseason to start up, they're going to start gnawing on their own flesh pretty soon

I don't know exactly what you are saying here, but I have long since abandoned the "media" for factual information. It would seem that two  Canadian cities are simultaneously giving up on arguably their best players ; Patches Montreal and Donaldson Toronto . I do not like the respect they are getting from their organizations. Furthermore, it tells a lot why both these teams are sitting at the bottom of the pile.

Given the ages and contract situations of Pacioretty and Donaldson (along with their team's place in the standings) both organizations are making the right moves in trading them

Its the wrong way in how they have been handled

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BlueKross said:

I don't know exactly what you are saying here, but I have long since abandoned the "media" for factual information. It would seem that two  Canadian cities are simultaneously giving up on arguably their best players ; Patches Montreal and Donaldson Toronto . I do not like the respect they are getting from their organizations. Furthermore, it tells a lot why both these teams are sitting at the bottom of the pile.

All I mean is that they are desperate for Habs news and so are making mountains of molehills.

While I agree that the right corners of the web offer much more intelligent and in-depth analysis than the media can generally offer, I hope you haven't succumbed to the wider 'fake news' balderdash. Most professional news organizations abide by standards of journalistic integrity (and those that don't, like FOX News, are easily identified). By contrast, most of the web is a cesspool of conspiracy theory and ideological battlements - to say nothing of deliberate lies spread by 'bots.' Your best defence against fake news is to read actual news produced by professionals, e.g., The Globe and Mail, The Economist, The New York Times, etc.

30 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

All I mean is that they are desperate for Habs news and so are making mountains of molehills.

While I agree that the right corners of the web offer much more intelligent and in-depth analysis than the media can generally offer, I hope you haven't succumbed to the wider 'fake news' balderdash. Most professional news organizations abide by standards of journalistic integrity (and those that don't, like FOX News, are easily identified). By contrast, most of the web is a cesspool of conspiracy theory and ideological battlements - to say nothing of deliberate lies spread by 'bots.' Your best defence against fake news is to read actual news produced by professionals, e.g., The Globe and Mail, The Economist, The New York Times, etc.

Both players need to be moved, agreed.  They need to be moved with respect and professionalism. Not seeing it. On the other side,  I see news  every day that is preverted and diverted. i respectfully disagree with your second premise..

1 hour ago, BlueKross said:

i respectfully disagree with your second premise..

It's not about 'disagreement.' Facts are facts; most importantly, there are processes for ensuring more and less reliable information. Reputable news organizations have such processes. The web does not.

But obviously this is not the venue for debating it.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Damn. That seems like a good trade. Why the f**k can we not buy a break?

I'm pretty sure at the draft that it was out there that the Kings weren't moving Vilardi under any circumstances.  That seems like to a too good to be true move. 

9 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I'm pretty sure at the draft that it was out there that the Kings weren't moving Vilardi under any circumstances.  That seems like to a too good to be true move. 

Dube's a good source, though, no?

Either of the deals mooted in the last few posts would have been good. Like I say, we can't seem to buy a break on this stuff.

34 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Dube's a good source, though, no?

Either of the deals mooted in the last few posts would have been good. Like I say, we can't seem to buy a break on this stuff.

I love Dubé as a hockey analyst; since he started a new tv show last year he has been getting more and more into this "insider" reporter but he has never convinced me. 

The other with him on the show is worse. But they are personable and have an audience

I put more faith in Knuckles Nilan, Pierre Lebrun, Elliott Friedman,  etc.

4 hours ago, Habopotamus said:

Oh man. We missed badly on that one, if true 

Vilardi has had some back issues too though....

Toffoli is younger and would replace 60-70% of Max's offence at a cheap price. 

Vilardi is still a top prospect, even with the injury concerns. 

Thats a great trade, if its true... which as Brian brings up.... if. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Good point, although I heard a GM say about 14 months ago that he wasn't trading Mikhail Sergachev, and he did.  I also heard the same GM say that he wasn't shopping PK Subban, and he was.  So I don't know what to believe. 

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Toffoli is younger and would replace 60-70% of Max's offence at a cheap price. 

Vilardi is still a top prospect, even with the injury concerns. 

Thats a great trade, if its true... which as Brian brings up.... if. 

I'm saying we missed out if that deal was in place. I've wanted Vilardi from the beginning 

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Good point, although I heard a GM say about 14 months ago that he wasn't trading Mikhail Sergachev, and he did.  I also heard the same GM say that he wasn't shopping PK Subban, and he was.  So I don't know what to believe. 

And Calgary's GM said they weren't shopping Dougie Hamilton and dealt him within a day or two.  It happens.  It wasn't Blake who said Vilardi was untouchable back then though, it was various media reports.  I think the Muzzin + prospect/pick trade was the likelier scenario as the Kings have the extra depth on D and were looking to add up front - moving Toffoli to add Pacioretty doesn't move the needle much.

If Pacs wants to stay that much then why not offer him another 6 years at 5.5M and start it with 8-7-6-5-4-3 millions per year with a nmc.

If hes not happy with that then at least they can say they gave him a decent offer.

4 hours ago, Dalhabs said:

If Pacs wants to stay that much then why not offer him another 6 years at 5.5M and start it with 8-7-6-5-4-3 millions per year with a nmc.

If hes not happy with that then at least they can say they gave him a decent offer.

They can't structure the deal quite like that.  The cheapest year of the contract must be at least 50% of the most expensive year so the lowest would have to be $4 million in your proposal.  Also, the belief is that he's going to be looking for a lot more than a $5.5M AAV - I suspect they wouldn't view that offer as decent (although coming off the year he just had, I'd classify it that way).

Yeah - the indications strongly suggest that Max is not in a reasonable negotiaying mood. He wants MAXimum dollars and term as compensation for the lost millions from his previous contract. The way he will get those dollars is by having a monster season and then going UFA. Unless some team is willing to give him a long-term deal at whatever salary he thinks he can get as a UFA, then I suspect the Habs are going to have to trade him as a rental. 

This is why he probably should have been dealt last season (notwithstanding the possibility that a huge year will jack up his market value).