Max Pacioretty Watch

On 2018-09-03 at 11:46 PM, illWill said:

*checks Habsworld forum*

Same few people shitting on Bergevin and that is all that's going on

*leaves Habsworld forum*

Surely there can be a conversation, or at least a post about the Canadiens that doesn't involve the General Manager, as he is only one part of the team. I highly doubt it though with this crew

While I agree that having nothing but Bergevin can be tiresome (there’s not much else at the moment) aren’t passive aggressive insults more detrimental to the forum than that?

No matter what side you’re on in this discussion I’m pretty sure we’re all capable of steering away from it.

The truth of the matter is that if the Habs were a powerhouse right now, we’d all be hunky dory, but they aren’t. So we’re boiling over a little as a fan base. I don’t think it’s really each other we’re mad at, it’s the the state of the team - and the state of the team is a result of the manager, so here we are. The reason you’re only seeing MB bashing is because there’s next to nothing new happening.

When the season starts, I’m sure we’ll have a lot more to talk about. So the constant MB bashing will be just one of many topics. 

• Upvote 3

On ‎2018‎-‎09‎-‎04 at 5:38 AM, Commandant said:

Guys we arent allowed to have opinions that differ from illwill or it poisons the site.

Please act accordingly in the future or this pretensious ass will get upset.

Shouldn't be so hard on yourself.

• Upvote 1

Boy...if you go on Habs I/O you find Serge Savard coming quite close to throwing Bergevin under the bus over the Pacioretty affair ('attitude is not just the players. It's management's attitude too'). And Stu Cowan is ripping him too for an 'alpha male attitude' that has driven away many players who loved playing here (Never mind Brendan Kelly, who always rips MB and has done so on this front as well).

With Patches declaring that he will not negotiate during the season, we're either looking at a trade very soon or shipping him out as a rental. 

This thing has spun out of MB's control and is now one of those classic Montreal Canadiens soap operas where the organization inevitably loses.

• Upvote 1

According to TSN Pacioretty will not negotiate during the season so he will be a rental or traded at the start of the season.  Given how MB gets fleeced on every deal, I will not have high hopes of a good return. Given MBs performance i think i will be happy with a bag of pucks and a late round pick. Perhaps after that Molson will wake up and make changes. 

11 hours ago, Richard09 said:

According to TSN Pacioretty will not negotiate during the season so he will be a rental or traded at the start of the season.  Given how MB gets fleeced on every deal, I will not have high hopes of a good return. Given MBs performance i think i will be happy with a bag of pucks and a late round pick. Perhaps after that Molson will wake up and make changes. 

And this is directly related to MB poor handling of this situation.  The Habs can only come out losers on this now.  MB should have nailed down the deal before looking to trade him if that was his goal.  MB seems to let bad situations become toxic....Not sure I get the strategy....

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Our only hope at this point is for Max to have his best season ever...50+ goals and then get a decent rental return for him.

This whole thing is a mess

50 goals, LOL. Nobody is getting 50 on this team of Keystone Cops. But I agree with the basic sentiment, and actually I think Max is set to have one of his best seasons.

I'm not sure how anybody can argue that MB has not badly mishandled this file, as he has screwed the pooch on so many others. But he seems to get infinite forgiveness from some fans, and, more importantly, the owner.

Maybe he can be traded *before* the season starts? Theoretically, he could be negotiating a contract before October, right?

The best thing would be to trade him before the season starts to avoid the circus but MB has screwed this up so badly I don't have much hope. Unless Max can have a super year then I expect a really bad return.

MB has crapped the bed on this and many other things. He should not be defended by anyone and it is a wonder that some people do indeed defend him.

Fire him right this second please

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Chris said:

They will have entire lines that wont score 50

As will 30 other teams and most have 2 lines that wont score 50.

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Fire him right this second please

As likely as trading for a Crosby.

I recall a few years ago Lafleur made a comment about the team has no first line. Most of the lines on this team will not make it on the 3rd or 4th line on most teams. The only thing MB is good at is trading for 4th liners and 6th or 7th d men.  He's the only GM in the league that would send a legit top 6 for a bottom six because they have "character" and think he has a good deal.  Of all the "character" payers he has traded for the team has no character and most of those players just float around on the ice. I have never seen a GM make so many mistakes and keep his job. 

42 minutes ago, Richard09 said:

Most of the lines on this team will not make it on the 3rd or 4th line on most teams. 

Since two will be 3rd and 4th lines and given lack of depth up front I think I might say have 1 good and 1 OK 2nd lines between Pacioretty, Gallagher, Drouin, Lehkonen, Byron, Hudon, Scherbak, Danault, Domi.

14 hours ago, DON said:

Since two will be 3rd and 4th lines and given lack of depth up front I think I might say have 1 good and 1 OK 2nd lines between Pacioretty, Gallagher, Drouin, Lehkonen, Byron, Hudon, Scherbak, Danault, Domi.

That is what I think too, except I would not lable Byron and Hudon 2nd liners yet

I really hope Scherbak becomes a top-6 but he is not there yet.

We are missing a #1 line on this team!!!

6 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

That is what I think too, except I would not lable Byron and Hudon 2nd liners yet

I really hope Scherbak becomes a top-6 but he is not there yet.

We are missing a #1 line on this team!!!

Was gonna argue with Richard, but this forward group, when you list em, is pretty friggin weak again this year.

7 minutes ago, DON said:

Was gonna argue with Richard, but this forward group, when you list em, is pretty friggin weak again this year.

Yes, and when we trade Pacioretty it will become worse.

I do not think the CH has enough dominant prospects to form a legit NHL number one line to contend for the cup.

Imagine if Kotkaniemi's ceiling is like Miko Koivu's and the CH goes only as high as Minnesota has gone ?!

That's the way we are trending right now unless MB hits a homer run (so unlikely)

14 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Yes, and when we trade Pacioretty it will become worse.

I do not think the CH has enough dominant prospects to form a legit NHL number one line to contend for the cup.

Imagine if Kotkaniemi's ceiling is like Miko Koivu's and the CH goes only as high as Minnesota has gone ?!

That's the way we are trending right now unless MB hits a homer run (so unlikely)

I strangely see that as a pretty accurate possibility of his future ? Best case, I hope he can produce a 10+ more points a year for a decade - Kopitar esque - but perhaps he tops out as a capable first line centre for about 4 years and then fades to a top 6.

Kotkaniemi will likely be our Kadri. He is right now our best prospect but once he hits his stride we need to have a Matthews and Marner and Nylander surrounding so he looks underrated.

If he is our best young player for years to come he either broke out huge or we neglected a proper rebuild and will suck for another 10 years.

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

If he is our best young player for years to come he either broke out huge or we neglected a proper rebuild and will suck for another 10 years.

The smart money is on door #2.

And if he does turn out to be a beast, safe to say MB will drive him out of town, in exchange for questionable return, like he does with all our most talented internally-developed players.

On 9/3/2018 at 10:16 PM, illWill said:

*checks Habsworld forum*

Same few people shitting on Bergevin and that is all that's going on

*leaves Habsworld forum*

Surely there can be a conversation, or at least a post about the Canadiens that doesn't involve the General Manager, as he is only one part of the team. I highly doubt it though with this crew

While I understand where you are coming from with this statement, it is also just one of those things where it is so obviously an issue, it will get talked about, brought up, and poked fun at until its resolution. I can see the annoyance anyone would have with beating a dead horse, but ultimately the horse has dug its own grave over the course of a long, drawn out, period of time. People just want it to get in the grave already and be done with it, so we can move on from it.

I for one, look forward to future conversations of some of our young players hopefully showing signs of progression during the coming season, guys like Hudon, Lehkonen, Scherbak, Mete and Julssen. Though I can also say any confidence I personally have in Begevin's ability to come up with positive hockey decisions has diminished, almost entirely, starting with his ridiculous trade deadline acquisitions of Ott, King, and Martinsen. A year where we could all see very clearly, the team was good but needed some extra scoring to have a chance at a deep run, we end up with 3 guys with no scoring, but added size and character. We then are forced, futilely, to watch a team unable to score against the Rangers, get eliminated in 6 games while Price had a .936 SV% during the series. That is possibly up there as one of the highest SV% for a goalie losing a series in 6, but MB's misadventure during that deadline is what lead to that if it is.

So, yes, I get it, the negativity, and sky is falling attitude can feel annoying, but at the end of the day, you also gotta call a spade, a spade, MB is a problem, a huge one. While there are objective ways to go about stating that, and I admit they are not always present on these forums, it still remains, he is a problem. Problems tend to be talked about more, problems get harped on more, and in a market like this, problems are amplified on top of it all. Ultimately there is nothing we can personally do about it, so I agree that making conversation 95% of the time about a glaring issue that we can't personally solve is as futile and pointless as it gets, it will still happen. It is human nature after all, we tend to rather bitch about things that are going wrong, than sing Kumbaya about things that are going right. When we go to work and chit chat with co-workers, do we tend to talk about the great night sleep we happened to get last night? Or how good the lasagna turned out for dinner? Or how much our back doesn't hurt today? Nope, we tend to talk about how the damn A/C broke, or the kids wouldn't go to bed at bedtime, or the headache or back pain we have today, or the totally crappy sleep we got last night. Can't really expect anything different on a discussion forum now can we?

Good destination for Max, a great coach who knows in a good offensive system. 30 goals next year Montreal will look bad short term but this is quality depth at center and one of these kids will turn out to be good, less pressure on Kotkaniemi.

6 minutes ago, Easy Ryder said:

Good destination for Max, a great coach who knows in a good offensive system. 30 goals next year Montreal will look bad short term but this is quality depth at center and one of these kids will turn out to be good, less pressure on Kotkaniemi.

Pacioretty - Stastny - Tuch is likely the line in Vegas. 

So much for Pacioretty apparently seeking out max term and dollar after his last contract negotiation. 7 mil x 4 years seem reasonable.