Habs trade Hawkey to Edmonton for 2019 5th round pick

Trizzak

12 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

Why wouldn't they just keep him?

Obviously they'd rather have the pick. 

I'll admit, I can't imagine the thought process that goes into some of these draft day deals. 'Ok, we'll give you a 5th rounder in 2019 plus some marginal ECHL guy for your 5th and 7th in 2020.' On what basis do you make that decision? Anyway, I doubt that Hawkey will win the Vezina any time soon, so Godspeed to one of the best surnames in the sport.

16 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

Why wouldn't they just keep him?

He has indicated he's staying for his senior season.  After that time, he could choose to not sign with the Habs, wait a few months, and become an August 16 UFA (similar to Jimmy Vesey, Will Butcher, and even Mike Reilly in recent years).  I'm guessing they're hedging against that being the case as he's certainly worth signing.

44 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

He has indicated he's staying for his senior season.  After that time, he could choose to not sign with the Habs, wait a few months, and become an August 16 UFA (similar to Jimmy Vesey, Will Butcher, and even Mike Reilly in recent years).  I'm guessing they're hedging against that being the case as he's certainly worth signing.

Ok. That makes sense. 

Put together a couple good years in providence 

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Obviously they'd rather have the pick. 

I'll admit, I can't imagine the thought process that goes into some of these draft day deals. 'Ok, we'll give you a 5th rounder in 2019 plus some marginal ECHL guy for your 5th and 7th in 2020.' On what basis do you make that decision? Anyway, I doubt that Hawkey will win the Vezina any time soon, so Godspeed to one of the best surnames in the sport.

And here I was calling him Hayden Hawkeye all this time......jesus