Tavares not coming to Montreal thread

JGC21

8 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Some in the past used this team to get better offers. Lapointe bein the best example. Tavares isn't looking for the most money. He wants to win.

That was basically my point, I simply didn’t word it clearly enough.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I think a Jedi mind trick would be required more than the impossible mission force - the IMF wouldn’t even choose to accept this mission!

Didn't think of that.... But then again I have never watched any star wars movies and was never into star wars.

10 hours ago, Metallica said:

I wonder if the Montreal management team could sneak into the building pretending to be floor cleaners then lock themselves in a room with Tavares and get him to listen to them?

If that doesn't work, Bergevin could always try this again:

C6QQL7dU4AAtIak.jpg

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

If that doesn't work, Bergevin could always try this again:

C6QQL7dU4AAtIak.jpg

Been there done that, they probably have that picture up at front desk 

Here is what I'd do at this point

1) Trade Pacioretty. Get a LHD prospect and a 2019 first

2) Sign Plekanec to a one year deal.  Trade him again at the deadline.

3) Stars are up against the cap and obviously big game hunting in the tavares sweepstakes. I think even if they don't get Tavares they will want to do something big. Habs say you need to clear space for Tavares.  We will take Spezza if you add in a pick. 

- Play Spezza on first line, heavy offensive zone starts, lots of PP time.  Boost his stats, ... retain salary and deal him at the deadline for picks/prospects. 

4) Take Ennis and a Pick from the Wild, bury him in the minors.

5) Deal Jordie Benn and David Schlemko and Paul Byron and anyone else you can get picks for.

6) Put Weber on the market, ask for a kings ransom.  If you take him into the season because of his injury issue last year people want to see him healthy, then take it into the season. 

Use all that cap space to your advantage and load up on 2019 picks. 

We are frozen out of the Tavares race..... Stastny, Bozak, O'Reilly??? meh, none are good enough to turn this ship around.  

Might as well blow it all up.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Here is what I'd do at this point

1) Trade Pacioretty. Get a LHD prospect and a 2019 first

2) Sign Plekanec to a one year deal.  Trade him again at the deadline.

3) Stars are up against the cap and obviously big game hunting in the tavares sweepstakes. I think even if they don't get Tavares they will want to do something big. Habs say you need to clear space for Tavares.  We will take Spezza if you add in a pick. 

- Play Spezza on first line, heavy offensive zone starts, lots of PP time.  Boost his stats, ... retain salary and deal him at the deadline for picks/prospects. 

4) Take Ennis and a Pick from the Wild, bury him in the minors.

5) Deal Jordie Benn and David Schlemko and Paul Byron and anyone else you can get picks for.

6) Put Weber on the market, ask for a kings ransom.  If you take him into the season because of his injury issue last year people want to see him healthy, then take it into the season. 

Use all that cap space to your advantage and load up on 2019 picks. 

We are frozen out of the Tavares race..... Stastny, Bozak, O'Reilly??? meh, none are good enough to turn this ship around.  

Might as well blow it all up.

It's a good plan. The return for Weber could be a franchise-changer.

You can sell Price on the idea that he will get to play for a contender within the lifetime of his contract. He remains the cornerstone.

But as I've said all along, I don't believe a rebuild is in the cards. And frankly I wouldn't trust MB with it anyway. Only if MB gets fired does a rebuild become conceivable.

• Upvote 1

Here is what i would do Since its a weak UFA class, we're going to have to either let the young guys play or make trades to fill our biggest holes. As much as I would keep Pacioretty, trading him is our only option to improve.  Weber, Price, Gallagher, Shaw , Petry, Alzner aren't going anywhere because we're not rebuilding as much as I think we should be at this point. So here are my thoughts 

To Florida 

Pacioretty 

To habs

Trocheck + Bystrom

We then sign JvR,  Grabner, Raily Nash and Enstrom 

Have the team look like this

JvR - Trocheck  - Gallagher 

Domi  - Nash - Drouin 

Lehkonen  - Danault  - Grabner 

Byron  - Rose  -  Shaw 

Deslauriers,  Hudon, 

Enstrom  - Weber

Alzner  - Petry 

Mete - Benn/Schlemko 

Reilly 

Price 

Niemi 

Its a deeper line up then last year with a lot more speed.

12 minutes ago, Metallica said:

Here is what i would do Since its a weak UFA class, we're going to have to either let the young guys play or make trades to fill our biggest holes. As much as I would keep Pacioretty, trading him is our only option to improve.  Weber, Price, Gallagher, Shaw , Petry, Alzner aren't going anywhere because we're not rebuilding as much as I think we should be at this point. So here are my thoughts 

To Florida 

Pacioretty 

To habs

Trocheck + Bystrom

Domi  - Nash - Drouin 

Byron  - Rose  -  Shaw 

Deslauriers,  Hudon, 

Enstrom  - Weber

Alzner  - Petry 

Mete - Benn/Schlemko 

Reilly 

Price 

Niemi 

Pacioretty AND Gallagher MAY get us Trochek.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Metallica said:

To Florida 

Pacioretty 

To habs

Trocheck + Bystrom

I'd say the Habs would need to add to Pacioretty if they want Trocheck (and not just a little bit).  He's a legitimate front line centre on a below-market deal for four more years.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I'd say the Habs would need to add to Pacioretty if they want Trocheck (and not just a little bit).  He's a legitimate front line centre on a below-market deal for four more years.

If I am Bergevin and I am looking through trades for a number one center has on the top of my list over O'Reilly .

19 minutes ago, Metallica said:

To Florida 

Pacioretty 

To habs

Trocheck + Bystrom

Domi  - Nash - Drouin 

Byron  - Rose  -  Shaw 

Deslauriers,  Hudon, 

Enstrom  - Weber

Alzner  - Petry 

Mete - Benn/Schlemko 

Reilly 

Price 

Niemi 

Florida is not doing Trocheck for Pacioretty 1 for 1.  Trocheck is a young centre who scored 75 points last year, more than Pacioretty has ever scored in his career.  And they add a prospect?  Why would Florida do this?

And you are going to then sign 4 FAs?

Good luck. 

• Upvote 1

The popular theory right now is that Toronto offered a one year deal with a wink wink this is not against the CBA of him knowing he can sign for 8 years after the one year is up.

I think people are just coming up with theories, but if that was the plan? That's a smart plan for Tavares. If his one year in Toronto flames out he can just go back to the market. If Toronto wins a Cup he sticks around as the greatest hero in Leafs history and becomes a bigger star than he's ever been.

(Still think he just stays with the Islanders.)

7 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

The popular theory right now is that Toronto offered a one year deal with a wink wink this is not against the CBA of him knowing he can sign for 8 years after the one year is up.

I think people are just coming up with theories, but if that was the plan? That's a smart plan for Tavares. If his one year in Toronto flames out he can just go back to the market. If Toronto wins a Cup he sticks around as the greatest hero in Leafs history and becomes a bigger star than he's ever been.

(Still think he just stays with the Islanders.)

But if this were the TO of ten years ago, there is no way Tavares even considers it.

There is no substitute for proper team-building. If the Habs had developed the team properly, instead of being in disarray over MB's tenure, maybe we'd at least have a shot at Tavares. They didn't, and so we don't.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

But if this were the TO of ten years ago, there is no way Tavares even considers it.

There is no substitute for proper team-building. If the Habs had developed the team properly, instead of being in disarray over MB's tenure, maybe we'd at least have a shot at Tavares. They didn't, and so we don't.

It’s funny how silent all of those “Tavares wants to sign here because of Price and Weber”, “how do you know Tavares doesn’t want to sign here - he’s always liked Montreal”  have become.

• Upvote 3

52 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

It’s funny how silent all of those “Tavares wants to sign here because of Price and Weber”, “how do you know Tavares doesn’t want to sign here - he’s always liked Montreal”  have become.

In before someone says, "He didn't talk to Nashville either!"

Tavares has no besties. He fooled us all. 

47 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

In before someone says, "He didn't talk to Nashville either!"

The whole point, of course, was that I doubt Subban had many good things to say about Bergevin.

5 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I must ask, how did you know Tavares didnt want to sign here? Was it our storied franchise? Perhaps the boat load of cash we had available? The way he would slide in and be our star? Was it the way that all of the media linked him to us? He does have friends on the team, can't be that. Please tell us all how you know everything that happens ever. And while you're at it find where anyone said he wants to sign here. I know you have difficulty reading objective opinions and you can't relate if it isnt in a rage filled rant. 

I’m pretty sure Tavares is just meeting with those 6 other teams because he already knows he wants to sign here, and he simply wants to see if any team will bid higher :)

Oh my bad, I made it a little easy for hab29 there.

I do not remember since this point brought up in this thread: What trade would be possible for the Canadiens with teams that were gunning for JT but that won't get him? Including teams not invited for the interviews 

Dallas, Boston, Tampa Bay, Toronto, etc

I would target those teams as a trade partner for Pacioretty

16 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I do not remember since this point brought up in this thread: What trade would be possible for the Canadiens with teams that were gunning for JT but that won't get him? Including teams not invited for the interviews 

Anyone gunning for Tavares is looking for that elite center, not a LW. Of the teams looking at Tavares, I'd say San Jose would be most likely if they lose out on JT.

1 hour ago, huzer said:

Anyone gunning for Tavares is looking for that elite center, not a LW. Of the teams looking at Tavares, I'd say San Jose would be most likely if they lose out on JT.

Vlassic for Pacioretty???! :huh:

46 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Vlassic for Pacioretty???! :huh:

No team is going to trade a current roster player to the Habs for Pacioretty prior to the season in a 1 for 1 deal. Especially one who can help and is under contract for more than one season. It doesn’t really make sense to do so. Any team who trades for Pacioretty is going to have to know without any doubt that they are contenders, otherwise trading for Pacioretty prior to season can only be a bad decision. This all goes out the window if Pacioretty signs an extension but if he does, I also don’t understand the rush in trading him for other reasons. 

3 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Tampa needs to unload Callahan. If we're on his 16 team trade list, we should be also telling the Lightning we will take Coburn as well to alleviate more of their cap issue.

To Tampa

David Schlemko ($1M retained) or Jordie Benn

Michael McCarron

To Montreal

Ryan Callahan

Brayden Coburn

TBL 1st Round Pick 2019

Gabriel Fortier and Boris Katchouk or Cal Foote or Taylor Raddysh

Tampa Pros: Frees up $9M in cap space for Tavares and/or re-signing Kucherov. They get a bottom pair defenceman at a low price. Add McCarron for potential late bloom/fourth line grit.

Montreal Pros: Coburn is trade deadline bait, Callahan is only for two years, gain a first rounder, gain a high quality Tampa prospect (or two if they go with Fortier/Katchouk) and yeah I'm high enough on Raddysh that I would take him solo but if we got more I'd be good with that too.