To Tampa

David Schlemko ($1M retained) or Jordie Benn

Michael McCarron

To Montreal

Ryan Callahan

Brayden Coburn

TBL 1st Round Pick 2019

Gabriel Fortier and Boris Katchouk or Cal Foote or Taylor Raddysh

This looks really good, I would trade a Valiev if they see a higher value in him instead on schlemko/bBenn

Just saw the photo of Tavares holding his leafs jersey for the first time and I don’t like Tavares anymore. 

10 minutes ago, Metallica said:

I hope Tavares not wanting to come here is an eye opener for the organization. Its time to change and make this a place people want to come and play.

People will just say as a lifelong Leaf fan he was never coming here so there's nothing wrong.

9 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

People will just say as a lifelong Leaf fan he was never coming here so there's nothing wrong.

In this instance is that wrong though? 

I’m in the mood to overthink a little bit but seeing how there’s a decent possibility it was always going to be Toronto, there’s a chance he didn’t entertain Montreal simply because the Habs are also the rival to many Torontonians. If it was a dream since he was a kid to play for Toronto, he also probably grew up disliking the Habs in a rival sense. 

26 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I’m in the mood to overthink a little bit but seeing how there’s a decent possibility it was always going to be Toronto, there’s a chance he didn’t entertain Montreal simply because the Habs are also the rival to many Torontonians. If it was a dream since he was a kid to play for Toronto, he also probably grew up disliking the Habs in a rival sense. 

And I'm certain  better teams like the Lightning and Sharks would have easily paid him at least 11m per season. 

This was mostly about going home. 

1 hour ago, Metallica said:

I hope Tavares not wanting to come here is an eye opener for the organization. Its time to change and make this a place people want to come and play.

I agree 100%.  The Montreal Canadiens, partly because of such a prolonged streak of futility, have lost the 'aura' of being the most storied franchise in the NHL and whatever drawing power that should have.  The thought occurred to me today when I saw that LeBron James had chosen to sign with the Los Angeles Lakers; I have no doubt that their aura as a place where the all-time greats go to win championships played a role in his decision.  ESPN showed a chart featuring the top 8 career scorers in NBA history, and 6 out of the 8 had at some point played for the Lakers...pretty impressive. 

(for you sports trivia buffs, the Lakers on that list were Shaq, Kobe, Kareem, LeBron, Magic, and Karl Malone.  The two non-Lakers were Jordan and Nowitzki)

Of course guys, its all about where your team stands when players like him become available.

You guys act like 2 years ago Stamkos didn't give Toronto the shaft for the same reason we are getting the shaft this year, nothing to be excited about, they had just finished last and had more questions than answers.

In 2 or 3 years time, doing things the right way from now until then, we could be on the other side of this, where marquee players see us as a fast rising team with a window to win in front of them for several years that they want to be a part of. UFAs will be viewing us in a different light at that point, its the circle of life in the NHL, right now we are part of the Herbivores, and nobody wants to join the bottom of the food chain.

15 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

I agree 100%.  The Montreal Canadiens, partly because of such a prolonged streak of futility, have lost the 'aura' of being the most storied franchise in the NHL and whatever drawing power that should have.  The thought occurred to me today when I saw that LeBron James had chosen to sign with the Los Angeles Lakers; I have no doubt that their aura as a place where the all-time greats go to win championships played a role in his decision.  ESPN showed a chart featuring the top 8 career scorers in NBA history, and 6 out of the 8 had at some point played for the Lakers...pretty impressive. 

(for you sports trivia buffs, the Lakers on that list were Shaq, Kobe, Kareem, LeBron, Magic, and Karl Malone.  The two non-Lakers were Jordan and Nowitzki)

I live in Southern California and thought the same thing when it comes to him having chosen the Lakers despite them not having been a very good team for a few years now. With that being said, similar to Tavares, it can’t be overlooked that Lebron has two houses in Los Angeles already and so there are other factors than the aura of being a Laker when it comes to him having signed here. A lot of celebrities and sports figures like living in Los Angeles, period. 

I don’t think Tavares completely overlooked the Habs simply because we no longer have that aura. It’s more likely that as a Leafs fan, he hated the Habs. It’s not hard to envision that when one sees a photo he posted of himself as a child sleeping while surrounded by a Maple Leafs blanket, and then describing it as a dream to play for them.

33 minutes ago, Link67 said:

Of course guys, its all about where your team stands when players like him become available.

You guys act like 2 years ago Stamkos didn't give Toronto the shaft for the same reason we are getting the shaft this year, nothing to be excited about, they had just finished last and had more questions than answers.

In 2 or 3 years time, doing things the right way from now until then, we could be on the other side of this, where marquee players see us as a fast rising team with a window to win in front of them for several years that they want to be a part of. UFAs will be viewing us in a different light at that point, its the circle of life in the NHL, right now we are part of the Herbivores, and nobody wants to join the bottom of the food chain.

Absolutely. If and when the Habs re-emerge as a fundamentally strong team, we will pull in elite UFAs, and some of that mystique will return. Everyone knows Montreal is a fantastic place to play - when you're winning. 

We can't just paint every player with the same brush, Stamkos and Tavares are different people. It certainly helped that Toronto is on the upswing yes, but even if Montreal was in the same position, do you think he still chooses here over there?

I don't think Tavares was ever a realistic option.

But not even being considered at all while Dallas and Boston were is a slap. Certainly wasn't a rival thing since Boston is there. Certainly wasn't a missed playoffs thing because Dallas was there.

We weren't even used as a way to boost his price or something. Or to create extra tension. None of that. Wouldn't even take a phone call.

But to be honest? Good. That's our reputation right now. It's a deserved reputation. And it won't get better until the house is cleaned. There is no saviour riding in to save Bergevin and this club. Molson has to find new people to do it themselves.

On ‎2018‎-‎06‎-‎28 at 1:06 PM, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Tampa needs to unload Callahan. If we're on his 16 team trade list, we should be also telling the Lightning we will take Coburn as well to alleviate more of their cap issue.

To Tampa

David Schlemko ($1M retained) or Jordie Benn

Michael McCarron

To Montreal

Ryan Callahan

Brayden Coburn

TBL 1st Round Pick 2019

Gabriel Fortier and Boris Katchouk or Cal Foote or Taylor Raddysh

Tampa Pros: Frees up $9M in cap space for Tavares and/or re-signing Kucherov. They get a bottom pair defenceman at a low price. Add McCarron for potential late bloom/fourth line grit.

Montreal Pros: Coburn is trade deadline bait, Callahan is only for two years, gain a first rounder, gain a high quality Tampa prospect (or two if they go with Fortier/Katchouk) and yeah I'm high enough on Raddysh that I would take him solo but if we got more I'd be good with that too.

I'd target Raddysh and Joseph.

23 minutes ago, DON said:

2 RWers? Why?

Cuz long term, when we'll be able to compete, I believe that Gallagher will be damaged good or irrelevant as a top 6 Winger.