Tavares not coming to Montreal thread

JGC21

So, with Tavares stating that he’s going to test the FA negotiation period let me be the non-first person to say he’s not coming to MTL.

His 5 teams are:

San Jose

Las Vegas

Nashville

Dallas

Toronto

He’ll listen to each team’s lunacy as they promise him the moon and then he’ll sign back with NYI.

There is a rumour that the reason Matthews isn't getting along with the Leafs right now is that they plan to hand everything they were about to give him to Tavares. 

I doubt it, but if Toronto did land Tavares but then lost Matthews to a trade demand it would be the most Toronto thing to ever happen.

9 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

There is a rumour that the reason Matthews isn't getting along with the Leafs right now is that they plan to hand everything they were about to give him to Tavares. 

I doubt it, but if Toronto did land Tavares but then lost Matthews to a trade demand it would be the most Toronto thing to ever happen.

Than maybe we could trade Price for Matthews?

I was hoping he would come here but to be honest do we want to give him that much money? NY has an offer of 8 years 88mil on the table for Tavares. So is it worth giving him 11mil a year?  We could sign 2 centers for half that, that could do the same job.

3 minutes ago, Metallica said:

I was hoping he would come here but to be honest do we want to give him that much money? NY has an offer of 8 years 88mil on the table for Tavares. So is it worth giving him 11mil a year?  We could sign 2 centers for half that, that could do the same job.

Who in the world could do what Johnny T does?

14 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

Who in the world could do what Johnny T does?

if you can get 2 centers that can win faceoffs and  each give you about 40-50pts  a year, isn't that just as good as having one guy who can do that?

7 minutes ago, Metallica said:

if you can get 2 centers that can win faceoffs and  each give you about 40-50pts  a year, isn't that just as good as having one guy who can do that?

50 points? JT has that by the damn All-Star break these days.

He is special, and a very elite talent, IF there is any chance he would field offers from us we should be throwing everything we can at him, heck unsink the titanic and throw that at him for good measure.

The only reason Tavares shouldn't sign here is because he chose not to, not because we did anything less than try our absolute BEST to land, that would be utterly unacceptable.

14 minutes ago, Link67 said:

50 points? JT has that by the damn All-Star break these days.

He is special, and a very elite talent, IF there is any chance he would field offers from us we should be throwing everything we can at him, heck unsink the titanic and throw that at him for good measure.

The only reason Tavares shouldn't sign here is because he chose not to, not because we did anything less than try our absolute BEST to land, that would be utterly unacceptable.

All I am saying is its not the end of the world if he doesn't sign here. 

38 minutes ago, Metallica said:

All I am saying is its not the end of the world if he doesn't sign here. 

Yes it is.  If he doesn’t sign, we should be blowing up this core (which I think we need to do anyways).   If he doesn’t re-sign we are at least 2-3 years away from POTENTIALLY having a dominant centre IF one our young draft picks pan out and by than Weber will be an average dman and Price will be out of his prime.

Who was the last team to win a cup without a true elite, dominant centre??? Bozak or Stasny aren’t going to cut it and Stasny would be dumb not to re-sign with Winnipeg if he really wants to win - even if it’s for less money.  Stasny would be a great #2, but he has trouble staying healthy and really isn’t a #1.  We just traded the guy who could have been a number 1 centre if we didn’t have a jackass running the team.

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Yes it is.  If he doesn’t sign, we should be blowing up this core (which I think we need to do anyways).   If he doesn’t re-sign we are at least 2-3 years away from POTENTIALLY having a dominant centre IF one our young draft picks pan out and by than Weber will be an average dman and Price will be out of his prime.

Who was the last team to win a cup without a true elite, dominant centre??? Bozak or Stasny aren’t going to cut it and Stasny would be dumb not to re-sign with Winnipeg if he really wants to win - even if it’s for less money.  Stasny would be a great #2, but he has trouble staying healthy and really isn’t a #1.  We just traded the guy who could have been a number 1 centre if we didn’t have a jackass running the team.

I agree we need to blow this team up. But when's the last time an elite player in there prime of there career has signed in Montreal as a free agent? I been a fan of this team since 89 and i don't remember anyone singing here.  Our elite players were either drafted or traded for. So is there any surprise that Tavares didn't even put us in his list of teams no its not. Time to move on.

2 hours ago, Metallica said:

It’s not just as good because two 40-50 point guys give you 80-100 points. John T doing it himself puts you at 80 himself, and then your second C like Drouin should net another 50+. It’s a clear trickle down effect to have one elite centre, not to mention how he’d make others on his line perform better

If we can give Price 10.5 and PK 9 then we for sure can give JT 12-13/year.

And I promise it will be worth it.

He makes 2-3M/year wingers look like 6,7,8M/year wingers.

Thats why he is worth the money.

8 hours ago, Metallica said:

I agree we need to blow this team up. But when's the last time an elite player in there prime of there career has signed in Montreal as a free agent? I been a fan of this team since 89 and i don't remember anyone singing here.  Our elite players were either drafted or traded for. So is there any surprise that Tavares didn't even put us in his list of teams no its not. Time to move on.

We've signed plenty of free agents, including 2010 when we ran the table on every damned impact UFA there was. The fact is, truly elite players hardly ever go UFA any more. Smart teams do what Bergevin refused to do with Subban, i.e., identify them early and lock them up long-term. And with the cap and salary ceiling, guys will now re-up with their existing team because they are confident they'll be getting market value when they do.

The reason we haven't signed a superstar UFA is not because we're Montreal but because they are a nearly extinct species.

All that being said, the Bergevin Habs are a joke, the GM a laughing stock in hockey talk circles leaguewide, with a team that is obviously years from having any chance to contend. Good luck selling elite UFAs on that mess.

Look at the list of teams with a legit chance of tempting him: San Jose, Las Vegas, Nashville, Dallas, and Toronto are all much better teams than the Canadiens.  Nashville and Las Vegas are already cup contenders, and Toronto and San Jose were both playoff teams last season.  Dallas just missed the playoffs, and that seemed more of a fluke than anything else when you look at the talent on their roster.  JT is going to get his money no matter where he decides to sign, so of course it comes down to the chance to win it all for him at this stage of his career over anything else...and that is why it is so obvious that he is not even going to consider coming to the tire fire of a situation that is Montreal.

7 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

Well, do we really think Bergevin coming out and saying the attitude in the Habs dressing room was terrible from start to finish, helped with this Tavares situation... I mean why would he want to come deal with the bullshit. 

As I've said and I'll continue to say, the only shot Montreal has is that Tavares has always wanted to play here.

That's it. There is no logical reason for him to play in Montreal. They are miles from Cup contention, the GM is a third nipple, the coach has the team cycling the puck everywhere except to the back of the net, the future in the prospects is dim at best, the media is awful, but at least they have the best mascot.

The only argument Montreal has is if he has always wanted to wear the CH. That's the only advantage Montreal would have. 

23 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

As I've said and I'll continue to say, the only shot Montreal has is that Tavares has always wanted to play here.

That's it. There is no logical reason for him to play in Montreal. They are miles from Cup contention, the GM is a third nipple, the coach has the team cycling the puck everywhere except to the back of the net, the future in the prospects is dim at best, the media is awful, but at least they have the best mascot.

The only argument Montreal has is if he has always wanted to wear the CH. That's the only advantage Montreal would have. 

I'm not even sure if that matters anymore. This team is in shambles

Yes, we drafted 3rd overall, but I mean this kid is probably 3-4 years from being an impact player. 

Bergevin has ruined this team. FA do not want to play in Montreal. 

Having Claude Julien run a rebuilding/ retooling team is an absolute joke too. He's too late in his career to change the way he coaches. 

• Upvote 3

Tavares list per Arthur Staple

For sure: San Jose, Dallas, Toronto, Boston.

Possible: Tampa, Nashville

Could decide to see all 6.

Montreal and Vegas are out at this time.

Funny hes including his good friend P.K. but not Weber and Price.

9 hours ago, Commandant said:

Tavares list per Arthur Staple

For sure: San Jose, Dallas, Toronto, Boston.

Possible: Tampa, Nashville

Could decide to see all 6.

Montreal and Vegas are out at this time.

Funny hes including his good friend P.K. but not Weber and Price.

No sensible player who has the ability to go wherever he wants and wants to win, would ever pick playing for this management team.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Scott462 said:

Honestly Tavares to Boston scares the shit out of me.

Our current lineup scares the shit out of me no matter who is on the other side of the ice.

• Upvote 1