Qualifying Offer Thread

dlbalr

5 PM EST today is the deadline for the Habs to submit qualifying offers.  Here is who needs one:

F Daniel Carr
F Phillip Danault
F Jacob de la Rose

F Markus Eisenschmid
G Zach Fucale
F Jeremy Gregoire
F Michael McCarron
D Tom Parisi
F Kerby Rychel
F Logan Shaw

Who gets kept around?  Who is let go?

5 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Bingo

I'm not going to Berkshire myself and say Carr is going to thrive elsewhere, but man it would be nice if this team had the philosophy that you win games with goals over grit. 

It's an arbitration factor for Carr, nothing more.  With the comparables out there, he had a reasonable case for $1.4/$1.5 million which was too much for someone who is essentially a depth player.

1 hour ago, Trizzak said:

Carr is the best goal scorer of the bunch, so that alone probably means he's not getting qualified.

dlbalr predicted he wouldn't be offered a deal a while ago, due to likely arbitration award he would likely get.

• Upvote 1

Notable-ish players (and ex-Habs) not qualified today:

Goalies: Robin Lehner, Petr Mrazek

Defence: Victor Antipin, Frederik Claesson, Brandon Davidson, Dylan DeMelo, Joe Morrow, Derrick Pouliot

Forwards: Anthony Duclair, Tomas Jurco, Tobias Rieder, Riley Sheahan, Devante Smith-Pelly, Nail Yakupov

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Trizzak said:

Danault, McCarron, De la Rose, Rychel.

I am getting closer to seeing a classic Claude Julien 4th line of: Delaurier-McCarron-Rychel

We're going to party like it's 1999! :youpi:

51 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Defence: Victor Antipin, Frederik Claesson, Brandon Davidson, Dylan DeMelo, Joe Morrow, Derrick Pouliot

Forwards: Anthony Duclair, Tomas Jurco, Tobias Rieder, Riley Sheahan, Devante Smith-Pelly, Nail Yakupov

Robin Lehner actually put together some good games last year. Buffalo was just terrible in front of him 

I would take a flyer on duclair 

13 hours ago, DON said:

Yup, scouts were a bit off on his future that's for sure.

And this sort of thing is why we all should be much less dogmatic and excitable when it comes to the NHL draft. 

As for Carr, I always liked him, but the Habs seem unconvinced. And admittedly he never did fully recapture the impact that he brought in his first season. He's one of those guys where it seems like it could have played out positively, but probably won't.

On 6/25/2018 at 3:37 PM, dlbalr said:

Looks like Smith-Pelly is resigning with the Capitals. I thought somebody was going to find a hidden gem if he was let go that easily... just not us with since we’ve been there and done that. 

On 6/25/2018 at 8:02 PM, JGC21 said:

Wow, Yakupov is such a failure.  

I watched quite a bit of him in Sarnia and his first year in Edmonton. No way I thought he would be any less than a top six winger. I don't know what happened after the Oilers fired Krueger but he was never the same after. 

1 hour ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

I watched quite a bit of him in Sarnia and his first year in Edmonton. No way I thought he would be any less than a top six winger. I don't know what happened after the Oilers fired Krueger but he was never the same after. 

If I was a team like Calgary, striving for scoring in the wing. I’d take a flyer on him.  He already showed he can score in the NHL and has the wheels. Other than the complete mis-handling by the coach he seemed to rule with such an iron fist that he banned donuts in the media lounge, I don’t get how a guy suddenly forgets to do the one thing he’s good at.  But I think it highlights the effect a real lousy coach can have on a young player and his confidence.

11 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

If I was a team like Calgary, striving for scoring in the wing. I’d take a flyer on him.  He already showed he can score in the NHL and has the wheels. Other than the complete mis-handling by the coach he seemed to rule with such an iron fist that he banned donuts in the media lounge, I don’t get how a guy suddenly forgets to do the one thing he’s good at.  But I think it highlights the effect a real lousy coach can have on a young player and his confidence.

I think he's gone to the KHL at this point.  We can blame it on the Oilers, but St. Louis and Colorado have both given up on him too. 

I wonder if he is driven to improve his game.