Qualifying Offer Thread

dlbalr

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

I think he's gone to the KHL at this point.  We can blame it on the Oilers, but St. Louis and Colorado have both given up on him too. 

I wonder if he is driven to improve his game. 

I think whatever happened with Eakins and the freak outs that always happen when he's happy to score a goal killed his motivation. And he had bad advice from an agent not to escape to the KHL earlier and rebuild his game out there. He could still one day be a Radulov type story where he goes to the K, gets his motivation back, becomes a complete player, and comes back here in his 30s. But I wouldn't count on it. It sucks because I've only ever heard good stuff about him. He's gonna go down as an Alex Daigle bust. 

6 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

I think whatever happened with Eakins and the freak outs that always happen when he's happy to score a goal killed his motivation. And he had bad advice from an agent not to escape to the KHL earlier and rebuild his game out there. He could still one day be a Radulov type story where he goes to the K, gets his motivation back, becomes a complete player, and comes back here in his 30s. But I wouldn't count on it. It sucks because I've only ever heard good stuff about him. He's gonna go down as an Alex Daigle bust. 

Honestly, he's worse than Daigle. 

He might be the worst first overall pick since 1969 and the end of the C forms. 

5 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Honestly, he's worse than Daigle. 

He might be the worst first overall pick since 1969 and the end of the C forms. 

What makes him worse than Daigle is that if Daigle loved hockey and wasn't up his own ass he would have been one of the top five best wingers in the 90s. Daigle always had the talent, he just didn't care. When he did care, like when he walked onto the Wild at 28 and led them in scoring, he showed he had it in him. Just none of the passion.

I would have to see adjusted for era stats comparing Wickenheiser and Yakupov on if he's the worst. In Wick's highest point season he was eighth in points on the Canadiens and his best season in the NHL, the 43 in 68 with the Blues, he was still only sixth in scoring. Wick played in a higher scoring era. But maybe even with adjustment Yakupov is worse. Dunno. Greg Joly and Brian Lawton make compelling arguments too. I like to give it to Lawton just because he's a tool.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Nothing yet.  There are a few possible scenarios here - he could be holding out for more money (he has, on several occasions, indicated that he believed he had shown enough to prove he was a full-time NHL player and last year suggested he should be a third liner with the Habs already).  If he is still of that mindset and thinks he's a top-nine forward, then there could actually be a squabble over money.  The team may also have simply qualified him for the sole purpose of trading him.  They also could still be trying to work out the NHL/AHL split on a two-way deal.  I've seen it suggested that the Habs may want him to take an AHL deal but I doubt they can sell him on that.

39 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Nothing yet.  There are a few possible scenarios here - he could be holding out for more money (he has, on several occasions, indicated that he believed he had shown enough to prove he was a full-time NHL player and last year suggested he should be a third liner with the Habs already).  If he is still of that mindset and thinks he's a top-nine forward, then there could actually be a squabble over money.  The team may also have simply qualified him for the sole purpose of trading him.  They also could still be trying to work out the NHL/AHL split on a two-way deal.  I've seen it suggested that the Habs may want him to take an AHL deal but I doubt they can sell him on that.

He's done nothing to deserve a raise. 

I like Mccarron, but he took a big step back this past year. 

McCarron was a poor draft pick on the day it was made. I called it back then.

You did.

Not being in any way an authority on prospects, I had no opinion at the time - but having seen him lumbering around out there during his brief call-ups, I find him very hard to take seriously as anything more than a marginal player in a league that puts a premium on skating and speed.

6 hours ago, Habopotamus said:

DLR was a bad pick

Zero offense. 

He is a mind-numbingly boring player so far. The quintessential forgettable 4th liner. Competence is the most he can aspire to.

The only consolation is that, looking at how that draft played out, it's not as though tons of way better players drafted in the region immediately following McCarron. There's Shea Theodore and then very few others (at least at this point in their development, at the NHL level). It seems to have been fairly thin 2nd round gruel that year - but I guess it usually is, taken as a whole.

See, the one thing about DLR that bothers me is that when he was drafted, talk was that he already had his defensive game figured out but he needed to be better offensively. And Therrien decided to rush him into the lineup at like 19 because he was already good enough to play at an NHL level defensively. And now he's what, 23? And the team has continued to play him in the bottom six, including in the AHL where I've seen lines where he wasn't in the top six.

Why does this bother me? Because we should have been trying to develop his offensive game because we already knew what we had defensively. He would have got better defensively with minutes but would hopefully play with offensive players to develop that way. Instead we lean so heavy on his defensive skills he's now just a young fourth line defensive forward and not much else. Why was this the best we could do with him?

Maybe he could have been a good pick with the right work, but not with Therrien and this pro development. 

• Upvote 1

I agree with that.  DLR had flashes of offence in junior.  It wasnt consistent but there were some skills there.  I had him much higher ranked than McCarron cause i saw that there was some potential offensive game.  The Habs did little to nurture that.

He was likely never going to be a star but he could have been developped into a Lars Eller or Patrik Berglund type of third line centre.

I agree with that.  DLR had flashes of offence in junior.  It wasnt consistent but there were some skills there.  I had him much higher ranked than McCarron cause i saw that there was some potential offensive game.  The Habs did little to nurture that.

He was likely never going to be a star but he could have been developped into a Lars Eller or Patrik Berglund type of third line centre.

To be fair - we don't *know* that. Those 'flashes' might never have ended up translating at the NHL level. But given the dismal record of player development under the MB/MT regime, it's fair to say that a kid like DLR never stood a chance.

Player development has been awful for 10 years, you can't put all the blame everything on MB and MT, a lot of blame to go around including the drafting department. 

I believe i read in the last 10 years the habs are 30th in drafted players playing on the NHL roster over those years. That's pathetic. I could have done that. 

12 minutes ago, Chris said:

Player development has been awful for 10 years, you can't put all the blame everything on MB and MT, a lot of blame to go around including the drafting department. 

I believe i read in the last 10 years the habs are 30th in drafted players playing on the NHL roster over those years. That's pathetic. I could have done that. 

MB has been in charge for six years, going on seven.

Most of the blame does indeed lie with him. 

Gainey's regime was not exactly brilliant at player development, but by this point in his tenure, Bob had drafted Max Pacioretty, PK Subban, and Carey Price. 

'nuff said.

29 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Gainey's regime was not exactly brilliant at player development, but by this point in his tenure, Bob had drafted Max Pacioretty, PK Subban, and Carey Price. 

'nuff said.

Not to side track this conversation, but I literally just watched a video of Subban training. I miss that dude 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

Not to side track this conversation, but I literally just watched a video of Subban training. I miss that dude 

Careful... Don may start complaining.

I too have never gotten over the infuruating disappointment of watching the team ship out the fabulous and charismatic Subban for no reason other than to satisfy the petty egos of inept management. But best not to go there, it'll just invite attacks from the 'management is always right' crowd. Let's stay on point!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

'nuff said.

Bon did ok, except for his transition plan to Gautier and how badly PG mismanaged personnel 

the only player left from PG'd drafts is Gallagher; all the other ones where busts

that's like 1 for 12!!!

I do not think any of PG's UFA signings or trades were impactful at any point for the CH or elsewhere !!!

(maybe Wisniewski and Eller)

Bergevin came to fix the mess PG left, but he mismanaged the Gainey core that remained 

3 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Bon did ok, except for his transition plan to Gautier and how badly PG mismanaged personnel 

the only player left from PG'd drafts is Gallagher; all the other ones where busts

that's like 1 for 12!!!

I do not think any of PG's UFA signings or trades were impactful at any point for the CH or elsewhere !!!

(maybe Wisniewski and Eller)

Bergevin came to fix the mess PG left, but he mismanaged the Gainey core that remained 

My grasp of the timeline may be fuzzy...didn't Goat sign Erik Cole too? His drafts may have been unproductive, but he had very few picks to work with (if memory serves) and was only GM for, like, two of them. I don't think many of our problems lie in the Goat era; he self-destructed before he could do any real structural damage to the organization, it seems to me - except for the Squid trade.

Your last sentence is the real key to our current woes.

10 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

To be fair - we don't *know* that. Those 'flashes' might never have ended up translating at the NHL level. But given the dismal record of player development under the MB/MT regime, it's fair to say that a kid like DLR never stood a chance.

It might not have worked but the frustrating thing is it wasnt given a fair opportunity during his most critical development time