2018 Development Camp Thread

dlbalr

Rather than bumping the draft thread whenever there's news of an invite, I'll just make a Development Camp thread instead.  Confirmed invites so far:

LW Joel Teasdale

G Samuel Harvey

LW Alexander Katerinakis

D Olivier Galipeau (this one is particularly exciting)

One Hab prospect not attending is Arvid Henrikson which may be a sign that the organization has already given him on him as a prospect.  They've done that in the past with Colin Sullivan - even though he was still technically a prospect, they didn't bother to invite him the last couple of times.

Camp kicks off on Thursday.

• Upvote 1

How come just an invite for Galipeau?  Is he just testing the waters in Montreal to see if he likes it?  I would have thought the Habs or some other team would have offered him a contract.  Regardless, I'm glad he's coming to the Habs camp.  I hope the Habs make a good impression on him and he makes a good impression in camp as well.

It's weird that Galipeau didn't get an ELC from someone after the year he just had.  It actually reminds me of Darren Raddysh from a year ago, a junior d-man with great numbers that wound up settling for an AHL deal last season.  (He then played his way into an ELC which will begin this season.)

• Like 1

The invites (which doesn't include players already on minor league deals):

Forwards

RW Vladimir Bryukvin (23)

LW Brandon Hagel (19 - turns 20 in August)

C Ryan Hughes (18)

RW Alexander Kateranakis (20)

RW Anthony Rinaldi (22)

LW Joel Teasdale (19)

Defence

D Cameron Lee (21)

D Otto Leskinen (21)

Goalies

G Stephen Dhillon (19 - turns 20 in September)

G Gabriel Mollot-Hill (20)

Interestingly enough, despite his junior team announcing today that he was going, Olivier Galipeau is nowhere to be found on this list.  Samuel Harvey, also widely reported to be attending, is also not on the list.  You can tell that the Habs are primarily using this camp to look at some players for Laval as most of the invites are AHL-eligible.

Bryukvin is the kind of player I am glad they are trying out. He busted in the Q as a teenager but had a decent season last year in the KHL tying for the team lead in goals with Dynamo Moskva. Clearly wants to play in North America. Maybe he shows something special due to maturing on the ice and ends up a quality pick up. Or he just goes back to the K. No harm.

Good to see Cam Lee get an invitation. He has a great point shot and is strong with the puck. I think he could make Laval with a good camp.

I would be surprised to see Teasdale not make the team. He's a free draft pick basically. Back in 2016 he was looking on his way to becoming a Top 50 pick but he didn't develop the way anyone had hoped. If it is a maturity issue he can overcome he could get better fast. If it is an ability issue, then he will just fade and this will be the most I will have to talk about him. But good camp call by the club.

hahahaha   If attitude was everything, we would just have to bring back from retirement  Ray Bourque, Joe Neuwendyk, Steve Yzerman and Nic Lidstrom.

Et voilà.  25th SC.

Oh boy Poehling came into this camp looking like an absolute beast of a young man, huge strides made by him on a physical level, he might be ready sooner than we think.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...