Using Cap Space to Speed up a Re-Tool

Commandant

Cap Space can be a valuable asset in the NHL, and the Habs have a ton of it.

The Habs should not use that cap space in free agency, looking for short-term fixes, but instead, use it to fuel a rebuild and acquire additional young assets.

Here is how.

The Montreal Canadiens Off-Season: Using Cap Space to Speed Up a Re-Tool

http://lastwordonhockey.com/2018/06/28/the-montreal-canadiens-off-season-using-cap-space-to-speed-up-a-re-tool/

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

A really rich and interesting piece. Thanks!

The biggest shock to me was reading that Elliotte Friedman report that Molson is Ok with missing the playoffs if the team loads up on picks and prospects. It sounds as though the owner is supportive of a rebuild?!? Huge and under-reported news, if accurate (and Friedman is a highly credible source).

12 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The biggest shock to me was reading that Elliotte Friedman report that Molson is Ok with missing the playoffs if the team loads up on picks and prospects. It sounds as though the owner is supportive of a rebuild?!? Huge and under-reported news, if accurate (and Friedman is a highly credible source).

Completely agree with that sentiment. First I’ve heard of the organization admitting even the possibility of s rebuild.

Same here.  I am shocked that Friedman bit flew under the radar as it has.

I actually think this is the kind of plan MB could pull off and get behind.  Hopefully his advisors are thinking creatively like this. I don’t necessarily agree with every move but appreciate the idea.

Good work.

22 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I never bought into the idea that Montreal would never rebuild. It was more about it would take rock bottom to get Geoff Molson to that perspective. I don't think they are there yet. I think Bergevin is still trying to save his job by pointing at Boston and Colorado and saying Montreal can be them too and turn it around. I think if this next season is so bad that Carey Price requests a trade? That's when Molson supports a rebuild. Heck, if Tavares signs in Toronto and he might get there. The longer the Habs prolong it, the more years Toronto will be king of the mountain in Eastern Canada. Molson is a hockey fan. No way he accepts that, and knowing he can't convince the big name tickets to come here, he'll just have to rebuild and make his own.

On 2018-06-28 at 7:56 AM, Commandant said:

Cap Space can be a valuable asset in the NHL, and the Habs have a ton of it.

The Habs should not use that cap space in free agency, looking for short-term fixes, but instead, use it to fuel a rebuild and acquire additional young assets.

Here is how.

The Montreal Canadiens Off-Season: Using Cap Space to Speed Up a Re-Tool

http://lastwordonhockey.com/2018/06/28/the-montreal-canadiens-off-season-using-cap-space-to-speed-up-a-re-tool/

Best article I’ve read in years. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

I never bought into the idea that Montreal would never rebuild. It was more about it would take rock bottom to get Geoff Molson to that perspective. I don't think they are there yet. I think Bergevin is still trying to save his job by pointing at Boston and Colorado and saying Montreal can be them too and turn it around. I think if this next season is so bad that Carey Price requests a trade? That's when Molson supports a rebuild. Heck, if Tavares signs in Toronto and he might get there. The longer the Habs prolong it, the more years Toronto will be king of the mountain in Eastern Canada. Molson is a hockey fan. No way he accepts that, and knowing he can't convince the big name tickets to come here, he'll just have to rebuild and make his own.

So, you think Friedman has it wrong - ? I'd have agreed with you before reading that tweet about Friedman's info. Now I'm wondering if I had Molson pegged all wrong.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

So, you think Friedman has it wrong - ? I'd have agreed with you before reading that tweet about Friedman's info. Now I'm wondering if I had Molson pegged all wrong.

No, I think he's right. It's pretty obvious that Molson has become more hands on since the end of the season. I don't believe Ducharme and Bouchard come if we made the playoffs.

Great article and I agree on all of the points.

It is futile to try and band aid our way out. Especially considering the weak UFA market.

Trading Weber would get a strong return, I'm all for it - please make this happen.

My fear about patches is that he is going to be difficult with a contract extension with possible trade partners which lowers value or scares them away. If he isn't traded by Jan 4 I think he will be here till the deadline where is is traded for not much (possible that an under performing team picks him up mid season).

We need to do exactly as Commandant suggests in his article.

28 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Great article and I agree on all of the points.

It is futile to try and band aid our way out. Especially considering the weak UFA market.

Trading Weber would get a strong return, I'm all for it - please make this happen.

My fear about patches is that he is going to be difficult with a contract extension with possible trade partners which lowers value or scares them away. If he isn't traded by Jan 4 I think he will be here till the deadline where is is traded for not much (possible that an under performing team picks him up mid season).

We need to do exactly as Commandant suggests in his article.

Assuming a rebuild to be on the agenda - and we'll know more about whether that's the case within a few days, depending on what they do in the UFA market - how do we feel about Bergevin being the man to engineer it?

29 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Assuming a rebuild to be on the agenda - and we'll know more about whether that's the case within a few days, depending on what they do in the UFA market - how do we feel about Bergevin being the man to engineer it?

I think we are 90% united here that MB is out of his depth. He is not the right person for the job and most of us want him fired as soon as possible - right this second is not soon enough.

He is who we are stuck with as Molson is a larger dumbass.

Please for the love of God don't try and patch us up with the Bozaks of the UFA world. That would be a disaster

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I am part of the minority that is ok with him.

with the renewed coaching staff this year and the tweaks to the scouting staff... He is improving

I don't want change over the next 2 years