Joel Armia and Steve Mason for Simon Bourque

Thoughts on Armia? Big body who plays center and wing. 29 points last year, and only 25. Definitely adds depth and grit And I like him off my initial reaction.

Steve mason.. we have the cap space. He fell off last year though.

6 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Bergevin reading my articles and taking on cap dumps to get picks and young players. 

Excellent.

Honestly, this was my first thought when I saw this.  Hope they keep it up.

3 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

Thoughts on Armia? Big body who plays center and wing. 29 points last year, and only 25. Definitely adds depth and grit And I like him off my initial reaction.

Armia is a much better option than signing Roussel.

Mason we will retain 50% and flip.

Armia another fin.

Mason in worst case has a contract that ends after this year.

Decent insurance if, God help us, Price goes down again.

Best case he plays well and can be traded for a 2nd rounder or something at the deadline with retained salary.

Guess the Habs won't have to trade for a 7th round pick at the draft next year!

Overall a solid pickup.  We have the salary cap space to take on contracts like this.  Not sure if they plan on using Armia as a centre cause he has mostly played the wing. We'll also be in line to sign him as well since he's a RFA.

There are teams that could still use Mason as a backup so if we retain salary I'm sure we can get a little bit for him. That or trade Niemi.

Anyone has a chance to play center this year. 

With Tavares out, seemingly this move is for Statsny, ROR trade falling through, 

Bozak is the remaining center i'm aware of who has played top 6 minutes

How many wingers can one team have? 

This year is lose for hughes

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Chris said:

With Tavares out, seemingly this move is for Statsny, ROR trade falling through, 

With jets shedding masons salary, they will likely resign Stastny

14 minutes ago, Chris said:

Hahaha I’m jumping on the lose for Hughes train then. Imagine a center lineup of 

Hughes 

Kotkaniemi

Poehling

no more SAC

I'd rather see them use the cap space to get a better pick or prospect but Armia's a decent forward at the very least.  He's also a right-hand shot, something the Habs are sorely lacking up front.  Goalie supply outweighs demand in free agency so it's not a guarantee that the Habs will find a taker for Mason in a trade.

Interesting minor trade that finally shows the Habs acting like a smart, forward-looking organization.

I doubt that Mason is better than Niemi. We're best thinking of him purely as weaponized cap space.

I like the recent direction but am still skeptical of this mgmt team.  This has been an offseason of positive change so far, and moves showing an actual plan for long term improvement.  I like that.  Like I said though, skeptical.  

Hope is rising however ever and I have come to realize I would be totally fine with a full rebuild.  I don't believe they will, but for me personally this is a major shift in my thinking.   I am a 46 year old Habs fan who still has (kinda vague and romantic) memories of the 70's glory days so the strategy of rebuilding isn't something I've ever really gotten behind, until now.

So I guess knowing that is how I feel, all of these positive moves, as long as they remain wins, however small, are leading the team in a much better direction.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

Big RW, right hand shot also.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=130454