20 minutes ago, JGC21 said:

With Armia we have to think that 2 of the following will be shipped out soon:

Pacioretty

Shaw

Byron

Hudon

Scherbak

McCarron

Byron and Shaw will both miss the beginning of the season, so it is possible that no moves are made til ~November.

1 hour ago, Habopotamus said:

Mason places on waivers for buyout 

That's too bad.  I was hoping they could retain salary (or not) and flip him.  I've always hated the idea of buying out players and prolonging their cap hit (albeit a smaller cap hit) over more seasons.

1 hour ago, Trizzak said:

Byron and Shaw will both miss the beginning of the season, so it is possible that no moves are made til ~November.

Ah, gotcha.

4 hours ago, illWill said:

So rather than pursue Stasney tomorrow, they help Winnipeg clear space to sign him? And all we get is an overpaid goalie and Joel Armia? 

I guess I'm in the minority on this one, not that I'm not used to that. 

If they made this move... stastny has already said no to.the Habs.

You dont do this if you think you can get him.

He already made it clear he wont sign here... just like tavares.

10 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

I wonder if getting Armia dampens Bergevin's reported interest in Roussel.

I'm hoping the reported four-year, $3M+ per year offer Vancouver has on the table dampens Bergevin's interest in Roussel.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I'm hoping the reported four-year, $3M+ per year offer Vancouver has on the table dampens Bergevin's interest in Roussel.

If Vancouver ends up signing both Riley Nash and Antoine Roussel they will be one of the best free agency horror stories in a while. Just because you have money doesn't mean you have to spend it.

4 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

If Vancouver ends up signing both Riley Nash and Antoine Roussel they will be one of the best free agency horror stories in a while. Just because you have money doesn't mean you have to spend it.

Yes the only guy I wanted was Tavares. since that is no longer, I don't want to see him over paying for guys. Let the Young's guys play and see what we got.

10 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

I wonder if getting Armia dampens Bergevin's reported interest in Roussel.

They already have too many guys slotted in the bottom 6 now, acquiring another Deslaurier doesn't make any sense at this point, you already have Shaw, Hudon, Byron, De La Rose, Lehkonen, Deslaurier, McCarron, Armia, Rychel, Froese trying to fill 6 spots.

39 minutes ago, Metallica said:

Yes the only guy I wanted was Tavares. since that is no longer, I don't want to see him over paying for guys. Let the Young's guys play and see what we got.

If we were contending I would want to give Vanek another shot. I think teams are so dumb to be hesitant in bringing him in.

6 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Great avatar!

I'm not so sure that optimism is warranted. Remember, the defining hockey move so far was Galy for Domi, a trade that has received general ridicule. And while I too am gratified that management cleaned house, there is absolutely no way a dope like Lefebvre should have been left in place for six years in the first place. If some of the new hires have poor results, do they too get six years of befouling the nest - ? 

For me, to the extent that there is real hope, it lies in this: the thought that Bergevin has learned from his mistakes and that his 'second act' as GM will be much better than his first. But I'll need a lot more evidence than this trade, or some very belated personnel changes, to see that thought as more than an appealing fantasy. I hope you're right, though.

Why thank you.  I grew up on reruns of Get Smart...loved it!

i reread what I wrote and it is actually more optimistic than I had intended.  I need more evidence too but am glad to finally see a string of smart, if safe and somewhat predictable and, to your point, long overdue moves.

I actually think Armia has more statistical potential than Shaw. I also think his numbers are still on the upswing. Should be interesting to see him in the lineup.

As for free agents, I know we have too many wingers but Tavares, Stastny, Neal, JVR, Vanek, Grabner, a few others, they’re welcome on my team any day of the week. Not that we’ll get a single one, or should in some cases.  Defense availability seems to be a little but second tier. 

8 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I actually think Armia has more statistical potential than Shaw. I also think his numbers are still on the upswing. Should be interesting to see him in the lineup.

As for free agents, I know we have too many wingers but Tavares, Stastny, Neal, JVR, Vanek, Grabner, a few others, they’re welcome on my team any day of the week. Not that we’ll get a single one, or should in some cases.  Defense availability seems to be a little but second tier. 

Enstrom is still very good defensively, but his offence has been dropping. 

Man, I get that it's a highlight reel but he has a really skillful toolset.  Nice hands in tight, decent looking shot, strong on the puck.  This is setting up perfectly for the classic tale of a young Finnish lad who runs with an opportunity he just didn't have on a very talented Jets team.

3 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

'Hidden skill'...Dale Weise 2.0?

Armia was a first rounder in the teens who has just been stuck on a deep team, and has shown flashes with double digit goals the last two years

If it happens for him (and its still an IF) it would be less surprising than Weise

5 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Armia was a first rounder in the teens who has just been stuck on a deep team, and has shown flashes with double digit goals the last two years

If it happens for him (and its still an IF) it would be less surprising than Weise

One of the few things MB has been decent at is identifying under-valued FWs on other teams. Weise, Byron, Danault...now maybe Armia. We'll see, but this certainly could turn out to be another canny pickup in that vein.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

One of the few things MB has been decent at is identifying under-valued FWs on other teams. Weise, Byron, Danault...now maybe Armia. We'll see, but this certainly could turn out to be another canny pickup in that vein.

I get a Weise/Eller vibe. Weise size and wing, Eller inconsistency. Sometimes looks like a top six power forward, other days disappears into "at least he's good defensively" mode.

The fact a few Jets fans I know are now angry because their only justification on the trade was Stastny returning and now they feel they lost a good player for a cap dump tells me he might work out. One explained to me it would be like us trading Hudon just to get rid of a few million for one season.

Still nowhere near as bad as Chicago trading Teuvo. I think this trade will end up a win for Bergevin even if Armia doesn't find a new gear to his work in Winnipeg.