UFA Day Thread

dlbalr

4 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

This is a nightmare. With Auston Matthews as 2nd line C (!) the Leafs are the new Penguins. If they do not win at least one Cup, I will be shocked.

We should sell them Weber and make them pay!

This is a nightmare. With Auston Matthews as 2nd line C (!) the Leafs are the new Penguins. If they do not win at least one Cup, I will be shocked.

The only twist is the fact Matthews is unhappy with the Leafs right now and I've heard Leafs fans say that they expect Matthews, Marner, and Nylander to sign bridge deals. If Matthews is unhappy, I could see him signing a max deal with Arizona as an RFA.

4 minutes ago, zumpano21 said:

We should sell them Weber and make them pay!

But Weber would practically guarantee them a Cup. No thanks.

I actually had a real, honest-to-gosh nightmare last night about Tavares signing with the Leafs. :1vomit: It's a bit like the Trump election...something that in a well-ordered universe would be unthinkable, and yet is actually happening. I take this as further proof that we are all living in the 'bearded Spock' timeline.

Image result for spock beard

5 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

The only twist is the fact Matthews is unhappy with the Leafs right now and I've heard Leafs fans say that they expect Matthews, Marner, and Nylander to sign bridge deals. If Matthews is unhappy, I could see him signing a max deal with Arizona as an RFA.

I can back this claim up as well. Have heard Matthews is really not happy with Babcock and management. Will be interesting how this unfolds.

But Weber would practically guarantee them a Cup. No thanks.

I actually had a real, honest-to-gosh nightmare last night about Tavares signing with the Leafs. :1vomit: It's a bit like the Trump election...something that in a well-ordered universe would be unthinkable, and yet is actually happening. I take this as further proof that we are all living in the 'bearded Spock' timeline.

Image result for spock beard

Yeah but restocking the cupboard is more important than fraudulent historical rivalries?

Looks like O'Reilly will end up with NYI. They just lost Tavares , they have what it takes to get a deal done.

Thank god because I didn't want Montreal making that trade 

6 minutes ago, zumpano21 said:

Yeah but restocking the cupboard is more important than fraudulent historical rivalries?

I will not give the Leafs a Cup under any circumstances. I'll die first.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I will not give the Leafs a Cup under any circumstances. I'll die first.

I don't see this as a guarantee for anything. They've yet to get out of the first round. How they handle the cap will be interesting going forward.

4 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

####, man, I gotta live in this ####ing city.

I am from Toronto to I know what you mean. I might not watch any sports news all season long here in Toronto.

8 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

I don't see this as a guarantee for anything. They've yet to get out of the first round. How they handle the cap will be interesting going forward.

They are as good on paper as any team out there right now.

Barring internal discord/chaos, they have to be rated in the very front rank of contenders.

Face it, the nightmare is here.

4 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Terrible news :( Leafs have solid centre depth and an overall very good team. They are legit contenders now.

Well, except goal tending. I'd tag their D as overrated and under-experienced. But you can't argue about their Forwards and Coaching team.

They are as good on paper as any team out there right now.

Barring internal discord/chaos, they have to be rated in the very front rank of contenders.

Face it, the nightmare is here.

Oh, they will be very good. They were already good.

But this isn't Kevin Durant to the Warriors.

8 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

I wouldn't blame you there.

I can't even stand listening to T.   S.   N right now. Oh my god its bad right now with them and the season hasn't even started.

4 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Oh, they will be very good. They were already good.

But this isn't Kevin Durant to the Warriors.

But no NHL team is.

As Commandant always points out, every team in the cap era has weaknesses. Sure, the Leafs' D is suspect. But so was the Pens', and they have lots of time to address that between now and next deadline.

If you had to trade our entire roster for another teams' entire roster, the Leafs' roster would be one of the top ones on anybody's list. That's why we have now entered an apocalyptic era of NHL hockey. The Toronto Maple Leafs truly have as good a chance as anyone to win the Cup. The unthinkable is happening.

12 minutes ago, Metallica said:

I am from Toronto to I know what you mean. I might not watch any sports news all season long here in Toronto.

I feel like almost everone on this board is from Ontario.  It’s kinda weird.

4 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Pittsburgh won cups with crap defence and mediocre goaltending. 

The bigger threat to me is they no longer have Roman Polak, who Babcock overused despite him being detrimental to them every time he got on the ice because he "worked hard and was tough"

I’m not convinced with the Leafs going all the way either, something that’s obviously extremely specific. Though they just signed Tavares, transformational for any team, they also lost their leading goal scorer and arguably their best pure winger in JVR. Tavares has also not won anything at the NHL level before outside of maybe one round, so it’s not like he’s experienced a winning culture before. The main things the Leafs have going for them (in my opinion) is coach Babcock.