UFA Day Thread

dlbalr

5 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

But no NHL team is.

As Commandant always points out, every team in the cap era has weaknesses. Sure, the Leafs' D is suspect. But so was the Pens', and they have lots of time to address that between now and next deadline.

If you had to trade our entire roster for another teams' entire roster, the Leafs' roster would be one of the top ones on anybody's list. That's why we have now entered an apocalyptic era of NHL hockey. The Toronto Maple Leafs truly have as good a chance as anyone to win the Cup. The unthinkable is happening.

I honestly thought back I think 2002 or 2003 when they got Ron Francis at the deadline that they were on their way to a Cup. That team had everything.

I also don't think the Predators have a real weakness, but that didn't mean they were strong enough to go all the way. You can be balanced with no holes, but that doesn't mean you will win for sure. I mentioned the Warriors but they lost to the Cavs in 7.

It's absolutely depressing that the Leafs and Bruins are strong and we're not. But this is what we get for having an owner that trusts Marc Bergevin.

This is the best negative news we could get! :D

Finally Molson has a measuring stick for MB - what could have been done since 2012.

I hope the Leafs win and a sense of humility is finally spread throughout our front offices.

Our franchise has been on the outs ever since Quebec left. Best chance for our success is TO success - as crazy as it sounds.

5 minutes ago, zumpano21 said:

This is the best negative news we could get! :D

Finally Molson has a measuring stick for MB - what could have been done since 2012.

I hope the Leafs win and a sense of humility is finally spread throughout our front offices.

Our franchise has been on the outs ever since Quebec left. Best chance for our success is TO success - as crazy as it sounds.

Wash your mouth with soap.

5 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Wash your mouth with soap.

Soap...or battery acid. it's all good.

Seriously, this is utterly horrible hockey news. You guys can rationalize it away ('they're not guaranteed to win!' 'They have weaknesses!') but the bottom line is the Leafs are now heavy-duty, bona-fide, elite Cup contenders, on paper. Something that they have not really been since 1993. It is the second-worst of all possible universes; the very worst being the one in which they actually do win.

If they do, you will hear about it every day, trumpeted by the CBC and the TO-based "national" news cheerleaders, for the rest of your life. You have no idea what horrors lie in store.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Seriously, this is utterly horrible hockey news. You guys can rationalize it away ('they're not guaranteed to win!' 'They have weaknesses!') but the bottom line is the Leafs are now heavy-duty, bona-fide, elite Cup contenders, on paper. Something that they have not really been since 1993. It is the second-worst of all possible universes; the very worst being the one in which they actually do win.

If they do, you will hear about it every day, trumpeted by the CBC and the TO-based "national" news cheerleaders, for the rest of your life. You have no idea what horrors lie in store.

But what a crushing blow if they don’t win...

10 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I’m not denying that the Leafs have a great team. It’s also possible that I’m crazy biased considering I would have believed in Montreal had we landed Tavares. With that being said, Tavares never won a thing with the Islanders and were not very often cup contenders just because they had him. If it’s true that they do have weaknesses, just like the Islanders did, and we likely would have, I just don’t see them being in the top tier.

Washington, Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay, Boston, Nashville, San Jose, Vegas, Winnipeg all come to mind before Toronto. Then maybe Toronto with a team like Dallas... LA, Anaheim.

7/77

Well. I guess enjoying hockey for the next 3-5  years is a foregone conclusion.

Where can I buy one of those cyro-beds!?

15 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Man. I hear you. I am in disarray. I need a MLB or NBA team in Montreal AAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!

5 minutes ago, nihilz said:

Man. I hear you. I am in disarray. I need a MLB or NBA team in Montreal AAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!

If only the Expos would come back, I could find some kind of hope

4 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

If only the Expos would come back, I could find some kind of hope

If the Canadiens are intentionally going to be this bad, Im not sure how many more reasons I have to stay in this shitty city.

11 minutes ago, nihilz said:

If the Canadiens are intentionally going to be this bad, Im not sure how many more reasons I have to stay in this shitty city.

You have to do it this way, you don't go in planning to be the worst, but you run with your young kids, whatever the record ends up being is whatever it ends up being. It lets you figure out which kids are worth taking along in the journey and which are not, lets you know where your system needs help from the draft, and finally when your base is solid, and you feel good about it, you start adding the big fish to the line up and quantum leap into contendership.

That is the only way to do it, you have to intentionally take the chance on sucking really bad in order to know how to build it to become really good down the road.

As me Grampa would say. Shit or get off the pot.

Sell or spend. Im not sure wtf is going on here. And, were gonna be real bad. But carrying aging superstar assets we could mega cash in on. For?

Come on guy, take off the rouge et blue glasses.

smfh

8 minutes ago, Dalhabs said:

Tavares is now in my book for players I hope will have a Gomezish decline in his career from this day on.

My hope:

- Toronto gets dropped in the playoffs early

- Dubas asks Matthews to sign a bridge

- Matthews signs an offer sheet with Arizona

- Toronto doesn't match

- The picks end up in the 20s because Matthews/Galchenyuk is great for the Coyotes

- Tavares cannot deal with the pressure and attention

- By 2022 he has demanded a trade to an American team

- Toronto has to retool with the Coyotes picks and the return for Tavares

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Metallica said:

Ok ask yourself this question. If Toronto gets Tavares and we get O'Reilly. Do you think we're good enough to beat

Toronto 

Washington 

Tampa 

Pittsburgh 

In a 7 game playoff series? We're just not as deep as they are and i don't see us beating them. So i just don't think we should make that trade. I know anything could happen in a playoff run but we're not a deep team for a playoff run.

Actually, I’d say he question to ask is if we get o’reilLu, are we even. A playoff team??

9 minutes ago, Dalhabs said:

Please someone translate the most intresting/important things he said later. Thanks. ?

So far it seems:

-not talking about Patches

-Toronto is great and rebuild the right way (ironic that started with a change in management)

-Why not Plex?

-nobody was interested in coming here but so what

-at the end of the day

-we will compete for the playoffs

-no body expected Washington to win so you never know what could happen to us

-some good Quebec talent here now

-not rebuilding

-glass half full

3 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

So far it seems:

-not talking about Patches

-Toronto is great and rebuild the right way (ironic that started with a change in management)

-Why not Plex?

-nobody was interested in coming here but so what

-at the end of the day

-we will compete for the playoffs

-no body expected Washington to win so you never know what could happen to us

-some good Quebec talent here now

-not rebuilding

-glass half full

:rofl: What a wanker

The 'we're not rebuilding' mantra is straight out of the Canucks playbook. I really think he's going for the Vancouver model: rebuild while consistently claiming that the goal is to be a playoff team.