UFA Day Thread

dlbalr

When asked about the defence, Bergevin said he is still interested in finding an upgrade on the left side and didn't rule out another UFA signing despite currently having 8 defensemen on one way deals. 

Dont know if habs will ever help the leafs buuuuut... what do you think the leafs would give us to take Hortons contract?

any chance they give us a decent prospect? Their 1st rounder?

When he actually uttered those lines:  the best team on paper isn't always the team that wins a lot, we're going to play with speed and passion, goal is to make the playoffs...I wish someone had thrown a shoe at him.  I had so much more respect for the Leafs management when they had their presser right after hiring Babcock, when they committed to a proper rebuild and told their fans that there would be some pain to endure for a few seasons.  The complete lack of bullshit was admirable.

That would be too much to expect from MB. 

24 minutes ago, bar said:

The utter bullshit MB feeds to the media and fans would make me laugh, if I wasn't already crying at the state of the organization :(

I wonder if he believes the words that come out of his mouth. Or after these news conference he goes to the back room and laughs and asks people if they think the media bought what he was saying?

22 minutes ago, Metallica said:

I wonder if he believes the words that come out of his mouth. Or after these news conference he goes to the back room and laughs and asks people if they think the media bought what he was saying?

I feel like you could never be 100% honest with the media, so for that part I think all coaches lie or bend the truth.

So as it stands now...

If we assume Rychel, McCarron, Ouellet, and Juulsen are sent down, and if Byron and Shaw both start the season on IR, the team is something like:

Pacioretty - Danault - Gallagher

Domi - Drouin - Scherbek

Lehkonen - Plekanec - Armia

Hudon - Peca - Deslauriers

De La Rose

IR: Shaw, Byron

Mete - Weber

Reilly - Petry

Alzner - Schlemko

Benn

Price

Niemi

With ~8-9 million in cap space after RFAs are signed...

Much like last summer (in which I was proven horribly wrong), it must be said again that Bergevin can't be done - this is an incomplete team. 

Does it really matter what the F*** he calls it? Its what we're doing, its what we need to be doing, My only hope is we can fast track it to a 2 year process rather than a 4 year process, but it is what it is, and we will have to endure it and be patient through it regardless how long it takes.

The amount of whining over nonsense like "He didn't call it a rebuild WAAAHH" on Social Media the last hour is a laughable reminder of exactly what type of media covers this team and the kind of fanbase that follows it.

I don't think the majority of this fanbase sound like they can endure a rebuild while remaining logical and patient during the process. No more than it looks like they can handle the fact we didn't kick the UFA doors down guns unholstered telling every marquee Free Agent we'll be their huckleberry today on social media. They can't even handle not getting their panties in a bunch about something as simple as THE WORD used to describe our plan going forward. Can't we open our own eyes, can't we see what this looks like for ourselves? You need the GM to spell it out for us? Just to add yet another point to incessantly whine about?

Frustrating as hell TBH

17 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

So as it stands now...

If we assume Rychel, McCarron, Ouellet, and Juulsen are sent down, and if Byron and Shaw both start the season on IR, the team is something like:

Domi - Drouin - Scherbek

De La Rose

Mete - Weber

Reilly - Petry

Alzner - Schlemko

Benn

Price

Niemi

Much like last summer (in which I was proven horribly wrong), it must be said again that Bergevin can't be done - this is an incomplete team. 

For a tank its almost complete, they just got to trade 3 guys and we have a tank worthy team........Pacioretty, Weber, Price 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Metallica said:

For a tank its almost complete, they just got to trade 3 guys and we have a tank worthy team........Pacioretty, Weber, Price 

Pacioretty and Weber would do it. Not even MVP Price could help that defense, nor is he able to score for the forwards. 

On that topic, I wonder if Philly would still be interested in Weber, being that they perpetrated the original offer sheet contract he's signed to. 

20 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

So as it stands now...

Domi - Drouin - Scherbek

De La Rose

Mete - Weber

Reilly - Petry

Alzner - Schlemko

Benn

Price

Niemi

It is complete, it counts 13 players under the age of 26, and is primed for another real chance at a top 10 pick, exactly what this organization needs to help move it forward, we already have 9 picks in the next draft with likely more coming from trades involving Pacioretty and Byron. Icing a young team that competes hard every night and not caring about what the record looks like at the end of the season is exactly the kind of team we need to ice. Evaluate for the whole year the young players you want to carry with you into your contending years, draft often and accordingly, bridge it all with some major acquisitions when the time is right and go for it for a long time.

Ideally the transition takes 2 years, but mentally preparing for the worst.

6 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Pacioretty and Weber would do it. Not even MVP Price could help that defense, nor is he able to score for the forwards. 

On that topic, I wonder if Philly would still be interested in Weber, being that they perpetrated the original offer sheet contract he's signed to. 

I think Toronto could use a guy like weber on there back end plus mike is team Canada's coach so connection there.

35 minutes ago, Link67 said:

Does it really matter what the F*** he calls it? Its what we're doing, its what we need to be doing, My only hope is we can fast track it to a 2 year process rather than a 4 year process, but it is what it is, and we will have to endure it and be patient through it regardless how long it takes.

The amount of whining over nonsense like "He didn't call it a rebuild WAAAHH" on Social Media the last hour is a laughable reminder of exactly what type of media covers this team and the kind of fanbase that follows it.

I don't think the majority of this fanbase sound like they can endure a rebuild while remaining logical and patient during the process. No more than it looks like they can handle the fact we didn't kick the UFA doors down guns unholstered telling every marquee Free Agent we'll be their huckleberry today on social media. They can't even handle not getting their panties in a bunch about something as simple as THE WORD used to describe our plan going forward. Can't we open our own eyes, can't we see what this looks like for ourselves? You need the GM to spell it out for us? Just to add yet another point to incessantly whine about?

Frustrating as hell TBH

It matters what he calls it simply because his line of thinking doesn't necessarily correspond to yours. What kind of team or its fan base wants to squeak into the playoffs knowing there's no real opportunity unless 4 teams get upset in a perfect domino effect. The current fan base who are watching the team rebuild, as they wish, expect a team that has no real chance to make the playoffs next year. No, it's not only that but they expect that the team had no chance to be outside of the bottom 5 anyway. I see the Habs, with their current lineup as actually a bubble playoff team (more likely out), not a lottery team. Hoping for a top 10 draft pick is potentially the worst way to enter a season. Right up there with expecting that we'll be a bottom 5 team and that the players will just go along for the ride.

I've seen positivity (defending) during every off season, with how perfectly everything is being handled based on the cards we've been dealt. I've seen it with how Drouin was apparently the most underrated player since Vincent Damphousse, simply because he was our main acquisition last off season, despite us having left 8 million dollars in cap space on the table and losing another offensive player as well as a defensive prospect. Now we see the defense of an apparent rebuild, something we "need to be doing", while completely disregarding the fact that if we do indeed need to be going through this, it's an effect of a prior terrible off season which was also defended by some of the people who expected great things based on last year's off season. Forgive me if I don't trust that what the fan base sees as "what we need to be doing" as actually corresponding to the way our GM is thinking in any shape, way or form, not that there's any indication that this is generally speaking, "all good". 

5 minutes ago, Link67 said:

It is complete, it counts 13 players under the age of 26, and is primed for another real chance at a top 10 pick, exactly what this organization needs to help move it forward, we already have 9 picks in the next draft with likely more coming from trades involving Pacioretty and Byron. Icing a young team that competes hard every night and not caring about what the record looks like at the end of the season is exactly the kind of team we need to ice. Evaluate for the whole year the young players you want to carry with you into your contending years, draft often and accordingly, bridge it all with some major acquisitions when the time is right and go for it for a long time.

Ideally the transition takes 2 years, but mentally preparing for the worst.

Let me clarify "incomplete."

We have too many players on the roster, and a defense built for 10 years ago. I feel like moves HAVE to be made, whether the intent it to set up for now or for the future. Currently the team isn't completely set up enough for either. 

1 hour ago, Trizzak said:

So as it stands now...

Domi - Drouin - Scherbek

De La Rose

Mete - Weber

Reilly - Petry

Alzner - Schlemko

Benn

Price

Niemi

I agree which you. It is a rebuild-mode team. Bottom 10 and maybe getting into playoffs if other teams suffer a lot of injuries to key players

I would swap Scherbak and Gallagher to shelter Drouin better

I would also have Mete-Juulsen as the top D pair in Laval to take advantage that they are waiver excempt to help their development better

To accelerate this rebuild, I would wait until the trade deadline to clear the deck

25 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

It matters what he calls it simply because his line of thinking doesn't necessarily correspond to yours. What kind of team or its fan base wants to squeak into the playoffs knowing there's no real opportunity unless 4 teams get upset in a perfect domino effect. The current fan base who are watching the team rebuild, as they wish, expect a team that has no real chance to make the playoffs next year. No, it's not only that but they expect that the team had no chance to be outside of the bottom 5 anyway. I see the Habs, with their current lineup as actually a bubble playoff team (more likely out), not a lottery team. Hoping for a top 10 draft pick is potentially the worst way to enter a season. Right up there with expecting that we'll be a bottom 5 team and that the players will just go along for the ride.

I've seen positivity (defending) during every off season, with how perfectly everything is being handled based on the cards we've been dealt. I've seen it with how Drouin was apparently the most underrated player since Vincent Damphousse, simply because he was our main acquisition last off season, despite us having left 8 million dollars in cap space on the table and losing another offensive player as well as a defensive prospect. Now we see the defense of an apparent rebuild, something we "need to be doing", while completely disregarding the fact that if we do indeed need to be going through this, it's an effect of a prior terrible off season which was also defended by some of the people who expected great things based on last year's off season. Forgive me if I don't trust that what the fan base sees as "what we need to be doing" as actually corresponding to the way our GM is thinking in any shape, way or form, not that there's any indication that this is generally speaking, "all good". 

Ok let me try it like this..

Alternate Reality #1: 

Bergevin stands at the podium today and claims he is rebuilding, He doesn't sign any impact UFAs long term, ends up trading away anyone not locked long term who carries value, and is icing a young fast team he hopes finish bottom 10 to give us good leverage at the draft next year where we already hold 9 picks. Clearly the start of a rebuilding/re-tooling process.

Alternate Reality #2:

Bergevin stands at the podium today, and claims we are a playoff team, hopes the young guys can offer the veterans a good push to have a rebound year. Doesn't sign any marquee UFAs long term, trades Pacioretty, Byron, Benn, Schlemko and anything else not locked with term for more picks and prospects. Clearly the start of a rebuilding/re-tooling process

Actual Reality:

Bergevin stood at the podium today and refused to label what he is doing with a word, However he didn't put much effort into signing or trading for any marquee players with term today. Word is he might be signing 22 year old Duclair as a young project, He claims he wants a young, fast, competitive team, who will try to compete for a playoff spot. He is likely going to trade Pacioretty, Byron, Benn, and Schlemko by the trade deadline, some even before the season starts probably. Clearly the start of a rebuilding/re-tooling process.

I am sure you can see what all 3 scenarios have in common, regardless what reality, regardless what he calls it or says about it, what he is doing is fairly obvious to see, and that's what matters, not the smoke and mirrors of the words spoken in the media, but the actual actions being taken. I see a GM who was not committed in the slightest to beefing this team up during the summer for a futile run next season. But a GM who is committed to youth, patience, and trying to use his cap space in another meaningful way to help stockpile yet another draft with double digit selections.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I agree which you. It is a rebuild-mode team. Bottom 10 and maybe getting into playoffs if other teams suffer a lot of injuries to key players

I would swap Scherbak and Gallagher to shelter Drouin better

I would also have Mete-Juulsen as the top D pair in Laval to take advantage that they are waiver excempt to help their development better

To accelerate this rebuild, I would wait until the trade deadline to clear the deck

The lines are completely interchangeable since there isn't a clear 1-2-3-4 setup. I just put a shit disturber on every line since we have so many.

14 minutes ago, Link67 said:

Ok let me try it like this..

Alternate Reality #1: 

Bergevin stands at the podium today and claims he is rebuilding, He doesn't sign any impact UFAs long term, ends up trading away anyone not locked long term who carries value, and is icing a young fast team he hopes finish bottom 10 to give us good leverage at the draft next year where we already hold 9 picks. Clearly the start of a rebuilding/re-tooling process.

Alternate Reality #2:

Bergevin stands at the podium today, and claims we are a playoff team, hopes the young guys can offer the veterans a good push to have a rebound year. Doesn't sign any marquee UFAs long term, trades Pacioretty, Byron, Benn, Schlemko and anything else not locked with term for more picks and prospects. Clearly the start of a rebuilding/re-tooling process

Actual Reality:

Bergevin stood at the podium today and refused to label what he is doing with a word, However he didn't put much effort into signing or trading for any marquee players with term today. Word is he might be signing 22 year old Duclair as a young project, He claims he wants a young, fast, competitive team, who will try to compete for a playoff spot. He is likely going to trade Pacioretty, Byron, Benn, and Schlemko by the trade deadline, some even before the season starts probably. Clearly the start of a rebuilding/re-tooling process.

I am sure you can see what all 3 scenarios have in common, regardless what reality, regardless what he calls it or says about it, what he is doing is fairly obvious to see, and that's what matters, not the smoke and mirrors of the words spoken in the media, but the actual actions being taken. I see a GM who was not committed in the slightest to beefing this team up during the summer for a futile run next season. But a GM who is committed to youth, patience, and trying to use his cap space in another meaningful way to help stockpile yet another draft with double digit selections.

The voice of reason.

3 hours ago, Trizzak said:

So as it stands now...

Domi - Drouin - Scherbek

De La Rose

Mete - Weber

Reilly - Petry

Alzner - Schlemko

Benn

Price

Niemi

The HahahahHabs...

9 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

The HahahahHabs...

I think if Bergevin is serious about having a reasonable shot at the playoffs - if the idea is to be at least nominally competitive while rebuilding - they need to sign a LD who can move the puck. I don't know who that might be. Enstrom, maybe.

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

The voice of reason.

The Voice of Reason....Not the hero they Deserve, but the one they need..

crack myself up sometimes

• Upvote 1