Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
dlbalr

UFA Day Thread

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

 

This is a nightmare. With Auston Matthews as 2nd line C (!) the Leafs are the new Penguins. If they do not win at least one Cup, I will be shocked.

 

We should sell them Weber and make them pay!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

 

This is a nightmare. With Auston Matthews as 2nd line C (!) the Leafs are the new Penguins. If they do not win at least one Cup, I will be shocked.

 

The only twist is the fact Matthews is unhappy with the Leafs right now and I've heard Leafs fans say that they expect Matthews, Marner, and Nylander to sign bridge deals. If Matthews is unhappy, I could see him signing a max deal with Arizona as an RFA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, zumpano21 said:

 

We should sell them Weber and make them pay!

 

But Weber would practically guarantee them a Cup. No thanks.

 

I actually had a real, honest-to-gosh nightmare last night about Tavares signing with the Leafs. :1vomit: It's a bit like the Trump election...something that in a well-ordered universe would be unthinkable, and yet is actually happening. I take this as further proof that we are all living in the 'bearded Spock' timeline.

 

Image result for spock beard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

 

The only twist is the fact Matthews is unhappy with the Leafs right now and I've heard Leafs fans say that they expect Matthews, Marner, and Nylander to sign bridge deals. If Matthews is unhappy, I could see him signing a max deal with Arizona as an RFA.

 

I can back this claim up as well. Have heard Matthews is really not happy with Babcock and management. Will be interesting how this unfolds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

 

But Weber would practically guarantee them a Cup. No thanks.

 

I actually had a real, honest-to-gosh nightmare last night about Tavares signing with the Leafs. :1vomit: It's a bit like the Trump election...something that in a well-ordered universe would be unthinkable, and yet is actually happening. I take this as further proof that we are all living in the 'bearded Spock' timeline.

 

Image result for spock beard

 

Yeah but restocking the cupboard is more important than fraudulent historical rivalries?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently Tavares is an official Leaf. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like O'Reilly will end up with NYI. They just lost Tavares , they have what it takes to get a deal done.

 

Thank god because I didn't want Montreal making that trade 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, zumpano21 said:

 

Yeah but restocking the cupboard is more important than fraudulent historical rivalries?

 

I will not give the Leafs a Cup under any circumstances. I'll die first.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7/77 for Tavares.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

####, man, I gotta live in this ####ing city.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I will not give the Leafs a Cup under any circumstances. I'll die first.

 

I don't see this as a guarantee for anything. They've yet to get out of the first round. How they handle the cap will be interesting going forward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

####, man, I gotta live in this ####ing city.

I am from Toronto to I know what you mean. I might not watch any sports news all season long here in Toronto.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Metallica said:

I am from Toronto to I know what you mean. I might not watch any sports news all season long here in Toronto.

 

I wouldn't blame you there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Terrible news :( Leafs have solid centre depth and an overall very good team. They are legit contenders now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

 

I don't see this as a guarantee for anything. They've yet to get out of the first round. How they handle the cap will be interesting going forward.

 

They are as good on paper as any team out there right now.

 

Barring internal discord/chaos, they have to be rated in the very front rank of contenders.

 

Face it, the nightmare is here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bergevin is meeting the media at 3 PM apparently.  The Habs may be done then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Terrible news :( Leafs have solid centre depth and an overall very good team. They are legit contenders now.

 

Well, except goal tending. I'd tag their D as overrated and under-experienced. But you can't argue about their Forwards and Coaching team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

 

They are as good on paper as any team out there right now.

 

Barring internal discord/chaos, they have to be rated in the very front rank of contenders.

 

Face it, the nightmare is here.

 

Oh, they will be very good. They were already good.

 

But this isn't Kevin Durant to the Warriors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

 

I wouldn't blame you there.

I can't even stand listening to T.   S.   N right now. Oh my god its bad right now with them and the season hasn't even started.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, mineral said:

 

Well, except goal tending. I'd tag their D as overrated and under-experienced. But you can't argue about their Forwards and Coaching team.

 

Pittsburgh won cups with crap defence and mediocre goaltending. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

 

Oh, they will be very good. They were already good.

 

But this isn't Kevin Durant to the Warriors.

 

But no NHL team is.

 

As Commandant always points out, every team in the cap era has weaknesses. Sure, the Leafs' D is suspect. But so was the Pens', and they have lots of time to address that between now and next deadline.

 

If you had to trade our entire roster for another teams' entire roster, the Leafs' roster would be one of the top ones on anybody's list. That's why we have now entered an apocalyptic era of NHL hockey. The Toronto Maple Leafs truly have as good a chance as anyone to win the Cup. The unthinkable is happening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Metallica said:

I am from Toronto to I know what you mean. I might not watch any sports news all season long here in Toronto.

 

I feel like almost everone on this board is from Ontario.  It’s kinda weird.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Pittsburgh won cups with crap defence and mediocre goaltending. 

 

The bigger threat to me is they no longer have Roman Polak, who Babcock overused despite him being detrimental to them every time he got on the ice because he "worked hard and was tough"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not convinced with the Leafs going all the way either, something that’s obviously extremely specific. Though they just signed Tavares, transformational for any team, they also lost their leading goal scorer and arguably their best pure winger in JVR. Tavares has also not won anything at the NHL level before outside of maybe one round, so it’s not like he’s experienced a winning culture before. The main things the Leafs have going for them (in my opinion) is coach Babcock. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

John Moore - 5 years, $2.75M per year to Boston.  He was one of the more intriguing d-men on the market.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×