Habs re-sign Tomas Plekanec

dlbalr

7 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

A solid signing for sure. What surprises me, personally, is how little affection or sentimental attachment I feel for the guy, despite having respected him (and defended him against critics) for years. Am I unusual in this - ? Are most people delighted to have ol' Pleky back, or basically just regarding it as a hockey move?

Pleks never had a noticeable impact on games, he just quietly put together solid defense and generally steady offense. He's also practically void of charm and not exactly a media darling. Pleks just hasn't really done much to cement himself in the Habs lore, so him moving on or coming back... eh.

https://www.nhl.com/news/tomas-plekanec-returns-to-montreal-canadiens-with-winning-attitude/c-299398090?tid=277548856

Nice to know Plekanec resigned here with the intention of making the playoffs.

A little help would help. 

Like i said, if he’s coming in and playing in the 4 hole and killing penalties then ok...

if he’s taking key face offs,getting even a second on the power play or starting or playing in 3on3  and taking minutes away from kids just scratching the surface of their careers then F%$k that !

26 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Like i said, if he’s coming in and playing in the 4 hole and killing penalties then ok...

if he’s taking key face offs,getting even a second on the power play or starting or playing in 3on3  and taking minutes away from kids just scratching the surface of their careers then F%$k that !

Well, he's a C. Who are the alternatives to Pleks in these roles? Danault, and - ?

10 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

as it stands with no more moves

danault

drouin

DeLaRose

plex

peca

with

evans

poehling

not far behind

i

Well, unless you have a strong belief in either Peca or LaRose, Pleks stands to block exactly nobody. Get ready for him to eat major minutes.

That's my point... if this is our strategy moving forward, then DeLaRose should be eating the minutes and gaining valuable experience. The worst case scenario is we get a higher 2019 1st rd pick! Best case scenario DLR surprises us all....

-There is no surprises with plex... hes a serviceable 4C now.

-I know nothing of Matthew Peca except he has been a key player in Syracuse and MB says he's on the team!

49 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

I don't anticipate " kids just scratching the surface of their careers" at centre to be on the team this year

Kotkaniemi will be in Finland

Poehling in the NCAA

Evans in the AHL

What kid is he going to take minutes from?

Let him play his role... boost his trade deadline value

15 hours ago, dlbalr said:

DhIlWUkXUAE0PEg.jpg

It doesn't appear as if Plekanec received a no-trade clause in this contract either which increases the potential of him being a deadline rental once again.

This post shows why even at his age he is more than a 4th line centre

And letting him show that, and boosting his Trade Value is smart for the future of this team

DELAROSE is better then Plekanec at this stage in there careers and for this team and the direction they are heading!

Nowhere did i say poehling or kokaniemi have even a chance at the line up... i had poehling currently 7th on our C depth  and koky not even listed!!

plex's role at the trade deadline is 4th line Center depth with the ability to move up the line up in case of injury or suspension.....

32 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

DELAROSE is better then Plekanec at this stage in there careers and for this team and the direction they are heading!

Nowhere did i say poehling or kokaniemi have even a chance at the line up... i had poehling currently 7th on our C depth  and koky not even listed!!

plex's role at the trade deadline is 4th line Center depth with the ability to move up the line up in case of injury or suspension.....

I'm not convinced that De la Rose is better for this team and the direction that they are heading than getting an increased return on Plekanec would be. 

I'm not convinced that De la Rose is anything more than a fourth line centre at the NHL level. 

We aren't holding back a future superstar by playing de La Rose on the fourth line, IMO. 

And we are improving our return on Plekanec.  Last year, we got two serviceable prospects, and a draft pick (Olofsson) who while younger and not as developped, projects as having a much higher ceiling than de la Rose. 

Showing that Plekanec can still play big minutes against the best lines in the league is part of the reason for that good return at the deadline. Teams may be putting him in their fourth line role, but they want to know he can play higher in the lineup if necessary (and the Leafs used him in Kadri's spot during his suspension last year). 

I never thought much of DLR at all, and for this reason don't see Pleks as a threat.

Peca, maybe...but he was a 7th round pick, wasn't he? I wouldn't pour too much hope into that vessel either. 

2 hours ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Plekanec > De La Rose

De La Rose might be a good third line center behind Crosby and Malkin. Not behind Drouin and Danault. 

-DLR just averaged +16 minutes on a championship WC team and played a nice role! What doe he need to do to get more minutes ahead of plex and EARN it!

How do rookies earn their stripes? by being shown the confidenance in them by there coaches and actually giving them the chance!

- plex after a million years in this league needs to still prove to GM's around the league of his value? (pretty sure most GM's paid attention to his value to T.O. LY in the playoffs)

What will it take to let a just turned 23 year old C play over the 35 year old C ? more goals? more offence? better faceoffs? what? 

he falls in the same age bracket as more then half the freakin team! PLAY HIM in an increased role i'm sure he'll score more then the 6 goals plex provided!

13 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Plekanec > De La Rose

De La Rose might be a good third line center behind Crosby and Malkin. Not behind Drouin and Danault. 

please explain?

exactly how is plex better at this point? outside of years of his experience in the NHL? is he better offensively? Defensively? face-offs?

DLR is  younger, bigger, faster and at this point has played 110 more games in the NHL then plex at the same age!

I'm not trying to degrade or not appreciate the years of commendable service plex has shown or given us.

I just think that if this team has chosen to give youth a chance as stated by the Head Coaches own words then we need to give DLR an opportunity ahead of plex is all. DLR has played 119 games for us already at C for the most part albeit in a limited role.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

The reality is that if Peca or DLR are good players they will play well and will take minutes away from Plekanec by EARNING them.  You don't hand them a thing. 

at what point do you give the kid a sustained look at an increased/bigger role before you pull the plug? im not saying hes our #1 or #2 for that matter. Just that he needs to be given  a long stretch of games and shown the confidence of his coaches. Plex has played 1000 games in this league. how does DeLaRose earn more minutes then him after playing only 119 thus far? (which is 110 more then plex at the same age i might add... again) performance in practice? in the 8 minutes of limited minutes? or putting him out there ahead of plex in key moments of games and giving him a chance to succeed?

8 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

exactly how is plex better at this point? outside of years of his experience in the NHL? is he better offensively? Defensively? face-offs?

DLR is  younger, bigger, faster and at this point has played 110 more games in the NHL then plex at the same age!

I'm not trying to degrade or not appreciate the years of commendable service plex has shown or given us.

I just think that if this team has chosen to give youth a chance as stated by the Head Coaches own words then we need to give DLR an opportunity ahead of plex is all. DLR has played 119 games for us already at C for the most part albeit in a limited role.

In short, Plekanec is better offensively, defensively and at faceoffs even at this stage of their careers. 

The World Championships is your argument? Really?

Offensively? yes

Defensively? yes

Skating? yes

face-offs? yes

Plekanec is still better than De La Rose at all of these things. 

He's played 119 games yes.... but has 8 goals and 19 points in his career. 

Plekanec had more points (24) in half as many games (60) with the Habs last season. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

I'm baffled by the notion that DeLaRose is better at anything than Plekanec.  I have never watched DeLaRose play an NHL game that made me hopeful he might be anything more than a 4th line center.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, sbhatt said:

I'm baffled by the notion that DeLaRose is better at anything than Plekanec.  I have never watched DeLaRose play an NHL game that made me hopeful he might be anything more than a 4th line center.

Not sure why this has to turn into plex bashing or proof of how efficient plex is?

i love and appreciate the guy..

BUT yes... I think they are heading in the total opposite directions... one is just starting his professional career and just turned 23years old and has close to 100 games played at C in the NHL the other is about to play his 1000th game and yes shouldn’t be used ahead of him this point.

It’s time to pass the torch...  let it go

Without anymore upgrades

danault

drouin

DeLaRose

plex

peca***

evans

***i don’t know much about him yet

And the WC was just another point...

hes played now hockey at every level for both club and country.  Are we thinking he’s already plateaued? Turning 23 just last month

8 hours ago, Commandant said:

The reality is that if Peca or DLR are good players they will play well and will take minutes away from Plekanec by EARNING them.  You don't hand them a thing. 

exactly, that is the direction we are going. No more babysitting if underachieving 20-something 

They have to earn their minutes: 100% agree

So what is 3rd line production in the NHL? 25-30 even strength points?

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

exactly, that is the direction we are going. No more babysitting if underachieving 20-something 

They have to earn their minutes: 100% agree

How does a 22/23 yr old earn more minutes over  a 35/36 year old who has clearly lost A step?