Finally, I like the plan and direction!

REV-G

2 hours ago, REV-G said:

Yikes, I believe in miracles but not in this case.

I'll repeat...at this point I personally have no doubt that MB and GM have a plan. For me it's like we're in two different realities. The previous past 5 years, poorly managed, little view to the future and bad decisions. But now it's like there's been some sort of transformation, like MB has awakened and sees what we've been seeing.  

I think their plan is obvious and I don't think they're just stumbling along these days making random decisions.  I think the results of the past years have caused/forced Geoff Molson to sit down with MB and tell him there must be changes or else he'll make changes. And I think that meeting happened quite a while ago and I think GM wanted to see it on paper, so the plan was devised and it was carefully planned out. That' why I believe GM has stuck with MB. Molson can see a clear direction that he agrees with and that he has genuine hope in, with good people being put in place. That's why I think Molson said months ago, when he was under pressure to fire MB, that MB knows how to build a team. I think the plan was already on paper and Molson had already signed off on it. 

- It started with last years draft and then this years...very good prospects in our system now. Many years of needs seems to be on the verge of being filled..

- Based on the past two drafts we can see how they're filling in and developing what we need. 

- Hiring two very good coaches and surely developing them for the big team for the future. Good planning.

- I think that the plan all along was not to do much of anything on July 1 because I believe they had agreed that they will suffer through one more year of futility and then begin the 2019-2020 season with a young team that can begin to grow into a genuine contender for years to come.

- With the news that Weber will be out another 6 months, they likely knew this before the draft, which solidified their commitment to do little on July 1, and both Shaw and Byron not being ready to start the season, that will open the door for some young inexperienced guys like Noah Julesen and Mete to get needed experience with not a lot of heavy expectation. 

- We will almost be guaranteed a top three, even possibly the top draft pick next June to add to our young prospects, along with the many other 2019 draft picks we have .

So I think what you decide to hope for next year will determine your peace of mind this hockey season.

I see the glass half full and being filled higher not emptied.

So my expectations for this season is that I will enjoy watching some games, and read about what's going on in the league, watch the Juniors around New Years, but I will not have any hope for the playoffs and therefore no disappointments or complaining about our team. I genuinely want them to get experience but finish very low, or the lowest. 

I truly believe there is a plan, with good young coaches and players right on the brink, and we have a bright future.

I would prefer that kind of reset or rebuild versus going on the way we were....middle of the pack or lower for years, maybe making the playoffs with little hope of beating the top teams.

Also, I think at this point I would perhaps sign Max to a long contract if they think there is good possibility that he can have a bounce back year. 

Ahh,  no.  This management team does not have a plan. They are not even stumbling along, they are bumbling along.  If this was the plan, they wouldn’t have been trying to trade Pacioretty for a pick, to move the pick and other assets for ROR. This is classic management by shitting your pants.

• Upvote 1

Almost no team goes into a season with a plan to draft 1st overall the following year. Come February and March, this may begin to happen, as a team realizes that it’s at the bottom of the pack, but remember this (REV-G’s) articulate post when the Habs don’t actually end up with a top 3 pick next year. It will just be forgotten. People keep throwing out that first overall, or top 3 number like it’s surely coming however regardless of how one views the current state of affairs, it’s so unlikely to happen.

As for addressing needs, this is also overblown. While the Habs are addressing needs, other teams are acquiring players of the same position as well. Currently, we’re banking on some young players to be part of the elite of the league at a position of need but as an example, we would be banking on it even if our first pick this year was Barrett Hayton. I’m looking forward to loving Kotkaniemi but I don’t see that addressing needs just automatically makes things great. Other teams have centers as well and some of them are already well proven. Time will tell.

11 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Almost no team goes into a season with a plan to draft 1st overall the following year. Come February and March, this may begin to happen, as a team realizes that it’s at the bottom of the pack, but remember this (REV-G’s) articulate post when the Habs don’t actually end up with a top 3 pick next year. It will just be forgotten. People keep throwing out that first overall, or top 3 number like it’s surely coming however regardless of how one views the current state of affairs, it’s so unlikely to happen.

As for addressing needs, this is also overblown. While the Habs are addressing needs, other teams are acquiring players of the same position as well. Currently, we’re banking on some young players to be part of the elite of the league at a position of need but as an example, we would be banking on it even if our first pick this year was Barrett Hayton. I’m looking forward to loving Kotkaniemi but I don’t see that addressing needs just automatically makes things great. Other teams have centers as well and some of them are already well proven. Time will tell.

You make a good point about the perils of tanking. Even if you finish last, you only have like a 1/4 chance of getting the #1 pick. Many fans seem to assume that a crap team automatically means the first overall pick, and that the first overall pick will automatically be a franchise player. Neither assumption is sound. That's why, IMHO, it should never have come to this. You look at a franchises like Boston or Nashville that turned over their core without tanking, and you see what deft management can do. But we are reduced to hoping we luck out in a draft lottery and to hoping that the blithering jabbernowl who got us in this mess can somehow find the acumen to get us out of it. I'll have some fun pulling for our crop of good-not-great young players, but this situation should never have happened, and I am not confident that the longer-term results of all this pain will be close to worth it. Basically this is a disaster and we will need a TON of massively good luck to get out of it properly, i.e., as legit contenders.

33 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

You make a good point about the perils of tanking. Even if you finish last, you only have like a 1/4 chance of getting the #1 pick. Many fans seem to assume that a crap team automatically means the first overall pick, and that the first overall pick will automatically be a franchise player. Neither assumption is sound. That's why, IMHO, it should never have come to this. You look at a franchises like Boston or Nashville that turned over their core without tanking, and you see what deft management can do. But we are reduced to hoping we luck out in a draft lottery and to hoping that the blithering jabbernowl who got us in this mess can somehow find the acumen to get us out of it. I'll have some fun pulling for our crop of good-not-great young players, but this situation should never have happened, and I am not confident that the longer-term results of all this pain will be close to worth it. Basically this is a disaster and we will need a TON of massively good luck to get out of it properly, i.e., as legit contenders.

I think everyone can agree our development at the AHL level sucked and is a significant reason the team is in its current situation as a bottom feeder. Maybe, just maybe, part of what could help with a turnaround is proper development of our plethora of prospects and a few of them actually turn out to be quality NHLers. We've had a black hole at that level for years, and people seem genuinely pleased with our new AHL staff. That's what I'm putting my faith in at the moment. That doesn't make the current NHL team any better, but it gives a glimmer of hope for the future.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, huzer said:

I think everyone can agree our development at the AHL level sucked and is a significant reason the team is in its current situation as a bottom feeder. Maybe, just maybe, part of what could help with a turnaround is proper development of our plethora of prospects and a few of them actually turn out to be quality NHLers. We've had a black hole at that level for years, and people seem genuinely pleased with our new AHL staff. That's what I'm putting my faith in at the moment. That doesn't make the current NHL team any better, but it gives a glimmer of hope for the future.

We'll see...any glimmer of hope about this is still 2 years away from even beginning to being realized.  And it only happens if the NHL level also buys into developing our youth...even at the expense of a guys like Danault to use a recent example.