Do you think Montreal can make the playoffs this year?

huzer

Do you think Montreal can make the playoffs this year?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Montreal can make the playoffs this year?

• Yes
    • No

I am always optimistic, even this year. Yeah, I know I'll be asked what stuff I'm smoking...:rolleyes:

This club has shown resilience in the past and they may pull a LVGK

I haven’t voted yet.

Why did you have to put “can” and not “will”?!

Tough choice now. 

I believe they “can” but I believe they “won’t”.

We’ll see what happens come the annual prediction contest because I once said “I will never predict the Habs to miss the playoffs in this competition.” But I want to win! 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I haven’t voted yet.

Why did you have to put “can” and not “will”?!

Tough choice now. 

I believe they “can” but I believe they “won’t”.

We’ll see what happens come the annual prediction contest because I once said “I will never predict the Habs to miss the playoffs in this competition.” But I want to win! 

Good call, I voted that they can. Do I think they will? If I was betting, which I usually do, no. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, illWill said:

Good call, I voted that they can. Do I think they will? If I was betting, which I usually do, no. 

Exactly the same for me, sure they can, but I don’t think they will

• Like 1

Hell no.  Almost every team in the Eastern Conference is going to ice a better team to start the year.  The number of teams that would have to suffer catastrophic injuries, or underperform significantly for it to happen makes it too massive a longshot to consider.

33 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

Hell no.  Almost every team in the Eastern Conference is going to ice a better team to start the year.  The number of teams that would have to suffer catastrophic injuries, or underperform significantly for it to happen makes it too massive a longshot to consider.

I always find it funny that when teams pick up players in the off season it always makes them better. People tend to forget the players they are losing, or that injuries happen, chemistry issues, players regressing, etc. Even the newly appointed Cup champ Maple Leafs lost Van Riemsdyk and Bozak, but because they added Tavares they improved the most. It's the same narrative every off season for every team. Everybody got better! 

So tell us, how is "almost every team" going to be better?

Well lets break this down teams that are a lock for a playoff spot 

Washington 

Pittsburgh 

Toronto 

Tampa 

Philadelphia 

New jersey 

Boston 

So that's 7 teams that should make the playoffs

teams that are on the bubble 

Montreal 

Buffalo 

Carolina 

Florida 

NYI

Teams that wont make the playoffs 

Detroit 

NYR

Ottawa 

So out of the bubble team's can we beat out all of them for that final playoff spot?

I don't think so.

9 minutes ago, Metallica said:

Washington 

Pittsburgh 

Toronto 

Tampa 

Philadelphia 

New jersey 

Boston 

Montreal 

Buffalo 

Carolina 

Florida 

NYI

Detroit 

NYR

Ottawa 

So out of the bubble team's can we beat out all of them for that final playoff spot?

I don't think so.

It's almost as if you don't watch hockey every year. There are always teams that surprise, whether it's over or underachieving. There are NO locks to make the playoffs. 

Do I think this current roster of Canadiens will make the playoffs? No. Do I think that they can? Yes. There is alot more that goes into a full season than the team on paper on July 6th

12 minutes ago, illWill said:

It's almost as if you don't watch hockey every year. There are always teams that surprise, whether it's over or underachieving. There are NO locks to make the playoffs. 

Do I think this current roster of Canadiens will make the playoffs? No. Do I think that they can? Yes. There is alot more that goes into a full season than the team on paper on July 6th

I think the heat has gotten to you. Montreal is a bubble team this year To make the playoffs, some even think no chance to make the playoffs. Bergevin has done zero to improve this team. So tell me why this team doesn't finish in the bottom five again??? We got the same team - galchenyuk, and - Weber tell the Christmas break if we're lucky. 

• Upvote 1

I don’t think they have much of a chance. I’m still expecting a couple more moves by MB, but as it stands I’d bet they are closer to the cellar than #8.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Metallica said:

I think the heat has gotten to you. Montreal is a bubble team this year To make the playoffs, some even think no chance to make the playoffs. Bergevin has done zero to improve this team. So tell me why this team doesn't finish in the bottom five again??? We got the same team - galchenyuk, and - Weber tell the Christmas break if we're lucky. 

You obviously didn't read what I wrote so NVM

42 minutes ago, Metallica said:

Washington 

Pittsburgh 

Toronto 

Tampa 

Philadelphia 

New jersey 

Boston 

Montreal 

Buffalo 

Carolina 

Florida 

NYI

Detroit 

NYR

Ottawa 

I would not consider Philly or NJ locks. 

I would say the bubble teams are Philly, NJ, Columbus, and Florida.

Buffalo, NYI, and Carolina are wildcard teams. New goalies, still some moves to be made (gotta see what the Canes get for Skinner), hard to say which way those teams go. Either they become bubble teams or bottom of the heap.I wonder how good Dahlin really is because Buffalo traded Kane and ROR and replaced them with guys that don't really score that much and they were bottom in GF, so Buffalo needs a lot to get better but they got youth who could take the next step. I could see the Isles somehow being motivated after losing Tavares but they still can't stop a puck worth a poop.

Montreal, Detroit, NYR, and Ottawa I would say have little chance of making it. They all need miracles. Montreal was 29th in goals and traded Galchenyuk with Weber out for at least the first half of the year and might trade Pacioretty. NYR was 22nd, Ottawa 25th (and about to lose their best player by far, plus traded Hoffman), and Detroit 28th (doubt Vanek will make that big of a difference, who knows if Zadina plays.) Detroit was 24th worst for GA, Montreal 25th, Rangers 28th, and Ottawa 30th. None of these teams could prevent goals and 3/4 had good to great goalies in Price, Lundqvist, and Anderson. Rangers had good special teams and still sucked, Montreal had a good PP but one of the worst penalty kills. I see absolutely nothing that says Montreal, Ottawa, Detroit, and NYR will have better years this year. 

Sometimes there's something to be seen in the final 20 games of a bad team to suggest a turnaround. Florida had the best record in the league March on, while Arizona was Top 10. The four I mentioned having little chance? Ottawa 24th, Rangers 26th, Canadiens 28th, and Red Wings 31st. Isles were 25th and Sabres 29th. So what's supposed to happen? Was Galchenyuk an anchor and now the team is free without him? Will the young D suddenly break out? With Kotkaniemi make the club and win the Calder? Is Price gonna be 2002 Jose Theodore? What am I missing?

Toronto, Tampa, New Jersey, Boston, Columbus, Washington, Pittsburgh, Florida, Philly, Carolina, Buffalo, maybe NYI  and NYR then Detroit, Montreal and Ottawa

I think there are at least 11 teams with far better rosters than Montreal, maybe 13.. the battle for the bottom looks to be a three team race to me, and Montreal is in the thick of it. 

I get it.. nothing is decided in July and teams go on runs or fail to meet expectations.. but we're hoping for a Vegas run when we just don't have Vegas talent. 

• Upvote 1

Who cares if we can make the playoffs!!!?

Move the goalposts. Can this team win a Cup?! Not even close. Until then, accumulate picks and prospects until we’re ready.

We’ve suffered since ‘93. Let’s do this the right way.

Lose for Hughes. I want a season as bad as lasts please. We need a 1 center. He is there if we bone it again. Play the kids sell the rest including Price. We have good young goalies in the system for when the rebuild is complete.

The way this team can make the playoffs is

1. Price has an absolutely stellar season

2. The team develops that fabled and rare 'underdog against the world' mindset where every guy is willing to chew through rope for every other guy

3. Julien has a strong system and every last player buys into it 100%

4. A critical mass of young players - especially Mete and Juulsen - exceed expectations and take big steps forward

5. No other significant injuries happen.

If all of these things occur, this team has a chance to battle for the #8 playoff spot. Something similar can be said for every terrible team that ever took to the ice.

The thing is, in terms of probabilities, this amounts to saying 'miracles can happen.' Rational analysis says the team won't make the playoffs. Maybe we'll turn out to be the Black Swan...and maybe I'll win that all-expenses-paid vacation. Don't expect or plan on it.

This team has to hope Drouin is a lot better in his second season at centre, which is not out of the question and that they get unexpected performances on defence which seems a little more unlikely to me