Habs invite Simon Despres to training camp

dlbalr

Sign him to a one year deal, hope he performs well, and trade him at the deadline.

Concussion history is too serious for a long term contract.

21 minutes ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

Sign him to a one year deal, hope he performs well, and trade him at the deadline.

Concussion history is too serious for a long term contract.

The Habs need to be careful with their contracts as they're getting close to the 50 limit.  Once they re-sign their RFAs, they'll be at 47 (48 if Kotkaniemi plays ten or more NHL games which is unlikely).  There's a good chance they'll want to sign Cale Fleury and turn him pro as well so that's 48 (49 with Kotkaniemi).  Teams generally like to carry a couple of open slots to start the season so unless they move a player or two, I don't really see Despres getting an NHL deal.  (Besides, he's not coming off a particularly good year in the KHL; he was a 4th/5th d-man out there.) 

• Like 1

Bratislava Slovan was a garbage club last season, allowed the most goals against in the KHL. It was a pretty NHL style D there with Meszaros, Barker, Ebert (who was a damn good Spitfire) and Despres. The guy to scoop from that club was Ebert, but he's now in the Swedish Elite League. I think he'll come back to the NHL next summer and have a real shot somewhere.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Bratislava Slovan was a garbage club last season, allowed the most goals against in the KHL. It was a pretty NHL style D there with Meszaros, Barker, Ebert (who was a damn good Spitfire) and Despres. The guy to scoop from that club was Ebert, but he's now in the Swedish Elite League. I think he'll come back to the NHL next summer and have a real shot somewhere.

Despres said that half that team stopped playing after christmas cause they werent getting paid

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Despres said that half that team stopped playing after christmas cause they werent getting paid

All the best to Despres, who has NHL skill but concussions not his fault. Just know the team was bad and that Ebert would be the guy I would want more.

Ebert is a funny case.

At 16 he looked like a top 10 pick in his draft year.

His draft year was a disaster.  He got drafted late in the 7th round.

Came back with a couple good years, was seen as a possible draft steal by the kings.

Then went to the ahl and didnt take the next step.

Ended up in europe.

Is he finally developping?  

Edited by Commandant

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

Ebert is a funny case.

At 16 he looked like a top 10 pick in his draft year.

His draft year was a disaster.  He got drafted late in the 7th round.

Came back with a couple good years, was seen as a possible draft steal by the kings.

Then went to the ahl and didnt take the next step.

Ended up in europe.

Is he finally developping?  

He looked quite good in Sweden from what I heard.