Should we put the Young guys on a line together and see what they got?

Metallica

By young guys I mean a line of

Domi  - Kotkaniemi  - Drouin 

Could be a fun line to watch play, once they develop chemistry between each other. Put them together at camp and preseason to see what they got.

• dlbalr changed the title to Should we put the Young guys on a line together and see what they got?

I wouldn't.  Kotkaniemi probably isn't going to be NHL ready and even if he was, they'd (rightfully) be hesitant to put him on a scoring line with a lot of pressure right away.  Throwing players to the wolves in the hopes of accelerated development sounds a lot better on paper than it does in actual practice.

Considering Kotkaniemi will be missing league games to go to camp, I'd actually prefer that they only give him a preseason game or two and then cut him fairly early, especially if it looks early on like he's not going to be NHL ready.  Give him his list of things to work on and then let him get back to his regular league where he can make the transition to being a full-time centre (remember, he was a winger in the SM-liiga last year and only played centre internationally) with a lot less pressure.

Agree with Brian, Kotkaniemi probably isn't NHL ready, and even if he makes the roster its 9 games max. 

Drouin is still likely the number 1 centre.  Given one more season to see if he can adjust to the position.  He should be a centre at training camp as well.  Don't yo-yo the guy around. 

The worst thing we could do is rush our prospects along. From what I've read, Poehling is closer to NHL-ready that Kotkaneimi. But even he is not a gimme by any means.

Drouin-Danault-Pleks-some bum = our likeliest C configuration for 2019. Granted, it is probably the worst C configuration in all of hockey, but that's no reason to throw prospects to the wolves.

27 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The worst thing we could do is rush our prospects along. From what I've read, Poehling is closer to NHL-ready that Kotkaneimi. But even he is not a gimme by any means.

Drouin-Danault-Pleks-some bum = our likeliest C configuration for 2019. Granted, it is probably the worst C configuration in all of hockey, but that's no reason to throw prospects to the wolves.

I think the notion was for them to have some fun playing together at camp, and MAYBE early preseason games when teams ice a 'B' lineup...not to 'throw them to the wolves' against real veteran NHL competition.  At least, that was what I was in favor of...certainly don't want Kotkaniemi in any real NHL games this season.  And wow...does that center lineup look pathetic.  The only positive I can see in icing those guys down the middle is that it advances the "Lose For Hughes" , and tank for a top 3 the next year also causes in a big way.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Curious to see if Peca slides in as a C immediately in the lineup. Some think he can. Supposed to be blazing fast. 

13 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I'd take our Cs over Horvat - Sutter - Gaudette - Beagle but yeah not many other teams

12 hours ago, Commandant said:

I'd take our Cs over Horvat - Sutter - Gaudette - Beagle but yeah not many other teams

That's a good question. Sutter might be marginally worse than Danault and certainly has less upside...Horvat is significantly better than Drouin (as a C)...the Habs are probably a bit better in the bottom two slots, but at least Gaudette has significant potential. I might in fact be tempted to give the edge to Vancouver just because in Horvat they actually have a clear-cut, unambiguous, quality top-6 natural C.

6 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

That's a good question. Sutter might be marginally worse than Danault and certainly has less upside...Horvat is significantly better than Drouin (as a C)...the Habs are probably a bit better in the bottom two slots, but at least Gaudette has significant potential. I might in fact be tempted to give the edge to Vancouver just because in Horvat they actually have a clear-cut, unambiguous, quality top-6 natural C.

Elias Pettersson has a higher ceiling than any of our prospect Cs and Horvat is better than our Cs so Vancouver is in a better situation overall still.

12 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Elias Pettersson has a higher ceiling than any of our prospect Cs and Horvat is better than our Cs so Vancouver is in a better situation overall still.

I know he's not a C, but Brock Boeser is worth pretty much our entire forward unit IMHO ;)

4 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Benning has already started the "galchenyuking" of Pettersson.  He's playing wing this year. 

On 7/26/2018 at 3:36 PM, Commandant said:

Benning has already started the "galchenyuking" of Pettersson.  He's playing wing this year. 

Well, Pettersson played nine games at C last season. I think it makes sense to ease him into the NHL on the wing. The Habs' problem with Galchenyuk is not that they did this; it's that they refused to take the next step and let him grow into the C role once he had established himself as a viable NHLer. I doubt the Canucks will be that stupid.

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

They should let the winger be a winger (Drouin) and the centre be a centre (Galchenyuk) ...Oh wait...

Put Drouin on the wing where he belongs and wait for our young centres to develop. We aren't any better with him at centre anyway and we have a long way to go

The boldfaced part makes too much common sense for the idiot MB Habs. They prefer to feel like special geniuses possessed of the uniquely privileged knowledge that Drouin is actually a C and Galchenyuk actually isn't.

As for putting Drouin back to the wing, they won't do that even if it were to be the obviously best thing for him and for the team, because MB has publicly committed his precious ego to the principle of Drouin being turned into a C.

These are the kinds of things that happen when your top priorities are things other than winning.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Well, Pettersson played nine games at C last season. I think it makes sense to ease him into the NHL on the wing. The Habs' problem with Galchenyuk is not that they did this; it's that they refused to take the next step and let him grow into the C role once he had established himself as a viable NHLer. I doubt the Canucks will be that stupid.

I'm fine with Galchenyuk at wing in 12-13

I'm fine with Galchenyuk at wing in 13-14 but he probably should have moved to C by the end of the year

I'm not fine with him at wing in 14-15

I'm not fine with him being proclaimed a RW by Therrien in 15-16 after he "failed" at centre with Eller and Semin as his wingers, before he finally got moved to C and excelled.

I'm not fine with Julien deciding it was a "strategy" to play Galchenyuk as a fourth line RW against New York

I'm not fine with Galchenyuk at wing in 17-18 when our centre options at one point was Drouin/Plekanec/DLR

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

I'm fine with Galchenyuk at wing in 12-13

I'm fine with Galchenyuk at wing in 13-14 but he probably should have moved to C by the end of the year

I'm not fine with him at wing in 14-15

I'm not fine with him being proclaimed a RW by Therrien in 15-16 after he "failed" at centre with Eller and Semin as his wingers, before he finally got moved to C and excelled.

I'm not fine with Julien deciding it was a "strategy" to play Galchenyuk as a fourth line RW against New York

I'm not fine with Galchenyuk at wing in 17-18 when our centre options at one point was Drouin/Plekanec/DLR

This 1000000000000000000 times over.

There couldn't be a more clear example of horrific player development and squandering a quality player

• Upvote 1