MB gets an F- grade

hab29RETIRED

I was listening to the NHL satellite radio GM report cards today.  MB got an F and an F-.  The host who gave him an F instead of and F- did so only because of the number of picks Montreal had at the draft and has accumulated for next year.  He roasted MB on his trades, player development and drafting and the lack of overall plan.  Rebuilding, but your two players that are signed the longest for the most money are old and getting older in a young mans league.  They hammered him for the Subban and Sergechev trades.

In all my years listening to their annual year in review shows, I don’t ever remember a GM getting an F-! I didn’t even think that was a possible grade.  Neither of the two hosts could understand how MB still has a job, or what MB is thinking and think that the habs are going to be fighting for 30 to 31.  Yet there are still some here that talk about making the playoffs if Price can return to form ?

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I was listening to the NHL satellite radio GM report cards today.  MB got an F and an F-.  The host who gave him an F instead of and F- did so only because of the number of picks Montreal had at the draft and has accumulated for next year.  He roasted MB on his trades, player development and drafting and the lack of overall plan.  Rebuilding, but your two players that are signed the longest for the most money are old and getting older in a young mans league.  They hammered him for the Subban and Sergechev trades.

In all my years listening to their annual year in review shows, I don’t ever remember a GM getting an F-! I didn’t even think that was a possible grade.  Neither of the two hosts could understand how MB still has a job, or what MB is thinking and think that the habs are going to be fighting for 30 to 31.  Yet there are still some here that talk about making the playoffs if Price can return to form ?

Bergevin has been an unmitigated disaster. And as much as we crave a successful rebuild - a rebuild made necessary by his incompetence (in fact the team he inherited should be right in the heart of its Cup  window) - we should be very uneasy that he, a proven failure, is in charge of it. The main hope, or leap of faith really, is that he's learned from his mistakes and will therefore evolve into a good GM. The problem with this desperate hope is that learning from mistakes requires some humility; and from his conduct so far, it's not at all clear he possesses even this virtue. Hopefully Molson is just waiting for his contract to burn up a bit before cutting him loose. Yet another long shot.

• Like 1

He should be tarred and feathered and ran out of town. The only way to drive this home to Molson is empty seats. Do not attend home games this year until he is fired. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, johnnyhasbeen said:

He should be tarred and feathered and ran out of town. The only way to drive this home to Molson is empty seats. Do not attend home games this year until he is fired. 

The team will just buy the seats and claim a sellout like they did last year.

7 hours ago, johnnyhasbeen said:

I would add to leave the merch in shop to this. Or maybe pick up some Team Canada gear with your favorite Habs player. I was thinking a Subban Team Canada jersey ;)

• Upvote 1

Before last season started, many media types were ripping Washington GM Brian MacLellan.

He had signed TJ and Orlov to a ridiculous contracts, lost Theodore for nothing, traded Johansson for nothing.. how'd that work out? The Caps won the cup.

Media members know very little of what actually happens in the office of a GM.

You think MB didn't try to sign JT. You think MB didn't try to make trades.

I'm not saying he's the best GM, not even sure if he's adequate yet, but we will never know the conversations he's had to try and build the team.

Who cares what the media thinks.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

Before last season started, many media types were ripping Washington GM Brian MacLellan.

He had signed TJ and Orlov to a ridiculous contracts, lost Theodore for nothing, traded Johansson for nothing.. how'd that work out? The Caps won the cup.

I'm not saying he's the best GM, not even sure if he's adequate yet, but we will never know the conversations he's had to try and build the team.

I don't care what MB 'tried' to do behind the scenes. He has made a sequence of brain-dead decisions that have taken this team from near-contender to bottom-dwelling suction eel. He is, in other words, an abject failure by any measure.

• Upvote 1

When it comes to professional coaching, an F- is synonymous with being qualified to perhaps think about rather being a recreational coach. Perhaps MB can think about GMing at the recreational level. 

6 hours ago, ehjay said:

I would add to leave the merch in shop to this. Or maybe pick up some Team Canada gear with your favorite Habs player. I was thinking a Subban Team Canada jersey ;)

With that being said, I still quite like my Weber Habs jersey. We won the first game I ever wore it, and as a result the jersey remains in my Avatar since I made a bet (with only myself) about it. :bonk:

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

"this isn't the "try league" this is the "get it done" league. Eventually they're going to find people who can get it done"

A baseball player said this, but it applies to all pro sports. 

I don't care what he's TRIED

I care that the biggest problem he inherited in day 1 was lack of a #1 C

He opened the 2012-13 season with Desharnais, Plekanec, Eller at C

He opened the 2013-14 season with Desharnais, Plekanec, Eller at C

He opened the 2014-15 season with Desharnais, Plekanec, Eller at C
He opened the 2015-16 season with Desharnais, Plekanec, Eller at C

He opened the 2016-17 season with Galchenyuk, Desharnais, Plekanec at C
He opened the 2017-18 season with Drouin, Danault, Plekanec at C

He appears that he will open the 2018-19 season with Drouin, Danault, Plekanec at C

When it comes to solving the biggest issue on the team, we are entering year 7, and he has not... Got It Done

I don't care about trying.  His job is to get results, and if you don't get results GTFO

• Upvote 4

12 minutes ago, Commandant said:

"this isn't the "try league" this is the "get it done" league. Eventually they're going to find people who can get it done"

A baseball player said this, but it applies to all pro sports. 

I don't care what he's TRIED

I care that the biggest problem he inherited in day 1 was lack of a #1 C

He opened the 2012-13 season with Desharnais, Plekanec, Eller at C

He opened the 2013-14 season with Desharnais, Plekanec, Eller at C

He opened the 2014-15 season with Desharnais, Plekanec, Eller at C
He opened the 2015-16 season with Desharnais, Plekanec, Eller at C

He opened the 2016-17 season with Galchenyuk, Desharnais, Plekanec at C
He opened the 2017-18 season with Drouin, Danault, Plekanec at C

He appears that he will open the 2018-19 season with Drouin, Danault, Plekanec at C

When it comes to solving the biggest issue on the team, we are entering year 7, and he has not... Got It Done

I don't care about trying.  His job is to get results, and if you don't get results GTFO

Exactly--- Also leaving SLY in charge for so long TSK TSK

• Like 1

Bergevin lost this team when instead of trying to fill team needs( at the time it was 2nd line scoring behind Pacioretty and a true  #1 center) he blame it on lack of team size and lack of team gritty players.

Because that's when he started passing on talent in the draft and trading talent on the team and in the organization for size and gritty players.

What he failed to realize was that the NHL was changing from that clutch and grab style of play in which you need those type of guys to succeed, to a speed and skill type of league. This was his down fall and it was too late for him to go back.

You can see in this years draft that he realize the league is speed and skill , our daft picks mirror this. Too bad he is 4 years too late.

When they move Pacs, 

the habs look like no player taller than 6 feet in the top 9. 

Gallagher and Deslarias will be the only grit to start the season, Shaw and Byron, the other 2 players who know where the front of the net is, i believe will be on the IR. 

17 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

When it comes to professional coaching, an F- is synonymous with being qualified to perhaps think about rather being a recreational coach. Perhaps MB can think about GMing at the recreational level. 

With that being said, I still quite like my Weber Habs jersey. We won the first game I ever wore it, and as a result the jersey remains in my Avatar since I made a bet (with only myself) about it. :bonk:

if u already have the merch or can get it second hand, say in thrift store or second hand sports shop, then it's okay. Mr. Molson will not get dough on merch sales like that. Hurting the pocket book is the way to go, as johnnyhasbeen said. I agree with this Fully!

16 minutes ago, ehjay said:

if u already have the merch or can get it second hand, say in thrift store or second hand sports shop, then it's okay. Mr. Molson will not get dough on merch sales like that. Hurting the pocket book is the way to go, as johnnyhasbeen said. I agree with this Fully!

Really?

Declining revenues might indeed be the only way to force change. Certainly organizational failure has proven insufficient.

Unfortunately, the Habs of 2018 are the Leafs of the Harold Ballard era: a license to print money, regardless of on-ice performance. I really believe this is a major contributor to the systemic mediocrity of the Montreal Canadiens.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Declining revenues might indeed be the only way to force change. Certainly organizational failure has proven insufficient.

Unfortunately, the Habs of 2018 are the Leafs of the Harold Ballard era: a license to print money, regardless of on-ice performance. I really believe this is a major contributor to the systemic mediocrity of the Montreal Canadiens.

You know the millions of Hab fans wont stop buying merchandise, it is always suggested after every bad year, but then when franchise value list come out, Habs fans (and ownership) do love to see team being one of most profitable in the league, that is for sure.

Guaranteed profit likely is a cushion for ownership and as much as you see as a possible negative, it has to be more of a positive.

Are several other bigger issues that don't help, being located in Quebec is biggest issue, being the only pro team in the province is another, ownership bending will of to fans, politicians and media unlike almost any other pro team...etc. 

(Green Bay Packers may be US equivalent, but without any language barrier and ownership unlikely listens to media-fans-politicians when hiring Mgmt or players)

53 minutes ago, DON said:

You know the millions of Hab fans wont stop buying merchandise, it is always suggested after every bad year, but then when franchise value list come out, Habs fans (and ownership) do love to see team being one of most profitable in the league, that is for sure.

Guaranteed profit likely is a cushion for ownership and as much as you see as a possible negative, it has to be more of a positive.

Are several other bigger issues that don't help, being located in Quebec is biggest issue, being the only pro team in the province is another, ownership bending will of to fans, politicians and media unlike almost any other pro team...etc. 

(Green Bay Packers may be US equivalent, but without any language barrier and ownership unlikely listens to media-fans-politicians when hiring Mgmt or players)

You're right that it is, in  a sense, an asset. The only time there was ever even a whiff of a question around franchise viability was in the late 1990s when the dollar was in the toilet, NHL spending was uncontrolled by a salary cap, and zero local money seemed interested in buying the team from a disengaged Molson family. And even then, talk of relocation never went beyond vague references to Portland :rolleyes: Because they're a cash cow, the Habs should be able to avoid problems like that for the foreseeable future.

I actually tend to disagree with the boldfaced points. Yes, the Affirmative Action policy for coaches puts us at a certain disadvantage, but the rest seems to me tangential to the question of on-ice excellence. I believe what we have seen from MB is management by personal ego rather than by rational decision-making rooted in a commitment to excellence - that this is the basic reason the team now sucks - and that it would be a lot harder to indulge in that kind of bullshit if the team had to worry about the bottom line.

MB deserves the F grade...Every time I post about him and call for his immediate dismissal, I also say that Molson is the bigger issue for not doing anything about it. Molson is oblivious or an idiot.

I have not heard a single reporter, TSN, Sportsnet, ESPN, Radio and all of the related places on the web say one positive thing about MB. He hasn't addressed our issues and our team is in far worse shape than when he started. This is nothing short of incompetence and Molson is implicit.

I hope Molson sells the team.

2 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

MB deserves the F grade...Every time I post about him and call for his immediate dismissal, I also say that Molson is the bigger issue for not doing anything about it. Molson is oblivious or an idiot.

I have not heard a single reporter, TSN, Sportsnet, ESPN, Radio and all of the related places on the web say one positive thing about MB. He hasn't addressed our issues and our team is in far worse shape than when he started. This is nothing short of incompetence and Molson is implicit.

I hope Molson sells the team.

I would add that the media have tended to be fairly gentle towards MB overall, in his time in Montreal. There is a natural tendency among the media 'experts' to want to serve as counter--weights to the perceived hysteria of Montreal fans. This worked to inoculate MB against heavy-duty criticism for a while. Also MB is extremely well-connected and well-liked around the league, which means the Old Boy network had strong incentives to defend him. Plus many national media people don't pay as fine-grained attention to the Canadiens specifically as (say) people on this site do. Bergevin's 'Ceaușescu' moment really only arrived with the Galchenyuk trade, which was met by widespread disbelief and mockery in commentating circles around the league. The sheer weight of evidence of MB's incompetence has finally tipped things over into well-earned ridicule. But it was a delayed reaction.

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I would add that the media have tended to be fairly gentle towards MB overall, in his time in Montreal. There is a natural tendency among the media 'experts' to want to serve as counter--weights to the perceived hysteria of Montreal fans. This worked to inoculate MB against heavy-duty criticism for a while. Also MB is extremely well-connected and well-liked around the league, which means the Old Boy network had strong incentives to defend him. Plus many national media people don't pay as fine-grained attention to the Canadiens specifically as (say) people on this site do. Bergevin's 'Ceaușescu' moment really only arrived with the Galchenyuk trade, which was met by widespread disbelief and mockery in commentating circles around the league. The sheer weight of evidence of MB's incompetence has finally tipped things over into well-earned ridicule. But it was a delayed reaction.

Bergevin is the reason I've lost interest in this this team. 

The Habs had one of the best young cores in the nhl. We were missing a couple pieces that could have made this team a legit contender, but Bergevin could not figure it out. He chose grit, character, and bargains, over skill. Then steadily continued to disassembled a team that was on the brink of something special. 

Now he gets to start all over again... it's insane

20 hours ago, Habopotamus said:

The Habs had one of the best young cores in the nhl. 

When exactly was that? 

Who was in that top of NHL core group?